Question re. "Recalibration"

BBQcyclist

Question re. "Recalibration"

Post by BBQcyclist »

Hi John

New user. Setup: Powerpod Ant+ version. Garmin 1000 edge head unit to display power. Magnetless garmin rpm and speed sensors.

Reading through many posts on this and DCR's website re the PP - If I understand correctly - PP is constantly recalibrating itself during the ~ first 8 minutes of every bikeride, or so.

I have 3 questions:
1. What is the calibration tool, method or "gold standard" that the PP uses during those 1st 8 minutes of every ride, to know whether it's indeed well-'calibrated' or not? (I.e Is it basically the initial 8 minute out and back ride that it considers as the "gold standard" to calibrate against?)

2. Also - is it necessary to re attach the PP to Isaac after every few rides to help it "recalibrate" via Isaac" - or can I just leave it on the bike and it will recalibrate from there by itself?

3. Finally - Do you ever recommend riders to re-perform an out and back calibration from time to time - especially if they feel there may have been somewhat too much wind on the initial out n back ride?

Many thanks!
BBQcyclist
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Question re. "Recalibration"

Post by Velocomp »

1. In truth, PP is checking its internal calibration constantly, even after the first 8 minutes! The reason the first 8 minutes are more noticeable is because many users take their PP off the bike, then reattach it. If there is any error in how the PP was reattached, it takes 8 minutes to fully readjust things. After the first 8 minutes, as long as PP is solidly attached to the mount (can't rotate), then any readjustments are minor indeed.

2. You don't have to remove PP from your bike. Of course, you'll need to charge it occasionally, and many people find it easiest to remove PP from the bike, in order to download rides into Isaac

3. Once your unit is dialed in--particularly after an O&B ride, it isn't necessary to repeat the calibration. If your original O&B ride was done in really windy conditions, then it might be best to try another calibration.
John Hamann
BBQcyclist

Re: Question re. "Recalibration"

Post by BBQcyclist »

Thanks John,

I'll simply get an extra long usb connection cable and charge/hook up the Powerpod to a laptop computer near the bike rack. That way , no repeated on/off with the mount.

I think I will try another out and back eventually, when the winds are closer to zero, since it was moderately windy and cool when I initially out n back calibrated it.