Calibration when Swapping Bikes

codefox

Calibration when Swapping Bikes

Post by codefox »

I have a general question about how this works when swapping between bikes. I have this set up on my road bike and tri bike and I split my riding between both pretty evenly. What I'm curious about is how precisely should the PowerPod be installed onto each bike when I move it? I know I want to be as close as possible and each bike has it's own mount that stays permanently mounted but there is going to be some variation on the angle I think. Will the PP essentially recalibrate itself during the ride after I switch it? How much care should be taken when I do switch between bikes?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Calibration when Swapping Bikes

Post by Velocomp »

The best procedure is this:

0) Make sure you've upgraded Isaac to version 4.1 (released recently)

1) Have separate speed and cadence sensors for each bike

2) Using Isaac "Device/Device Setup..." set up one of your bikes using profile 1 (this is the default setting out-of-the-box).

2a) On the final Device Setup screen, select "Best Accuracy". This causes the out-and-back calibration to be initiated

3) Pair your PP to your bike 1 sensors (make sure bike 2 sensors are off)

4) Perform an out-and-back calibration for this bike, using the O&B procedure

Your first bike is now dialed-in on profile 1

6) Using Isaac "Device/Device Setup..." set up of second bikes using profile 2 . YOU WILL SELECT PROFILE 2 AT THE BEGINNING OF THE DEVICE SETUP PROCESS

7) On the final Device Setup screen, select "Best Accuracy". This causes the out-and-back calibration to be initiated for bike 2

8) Pair your bike 2 sensors to your profile 2 (make sure bike 1 sensors are off)

9) Perform an out-and-back calibration for bike 2, using the O&B procedure

You now have 2 profiles, one for each bike.

When you are going to do a ride, attach PP to the bike you're going to ride that day. MAKE SURE THAT THE SENSORS OF YOUR OTHER BIKE ARE ASLEEP.

Wake up the sensors of your active bike, then click the PP button. PP will figure out which bike you're riding, and automatically switch to the correct profile for that bike.
John Hamann
codefox

Post by codefox »

John, I really appreciate the quick response. I actually have a really great spot for my out and back calibration so I will do that. I just want to clarify, since my question pertained more to how precisely I need to make sure the device itself is mounted on the bike after it's been calibrated for that bike. I assume that the angle of attack plays into the calibration.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Our Illustrated Instructions hopefully cover your question

Attach PP loosely to your mount. Gently rotate it "Skyward" until it hits the stop in the mount. Then, tighten the screw so that the PP cannot rotate.

When you follow the above procedure consistently, you should get consistent results, no matter which bike you use. This is because the mounting angle of PP on each bike will be "memorized" in each profile, and that angle will be the same.
John Hamann
codefox

Post by codefox »

That does help. I'll have to look at the mount I'm using on my tri bike to see how that works because I'm using the GoPro Pro handlebar mount. It's the only thing that fits on my bars along with my other equipment.

However, I think I'm going to put an alignment mark on the mount and PP. That should get me what I need!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It certainly won't hurt!
John Hamann