Power Dropping out and full ride not recorded

John Mac

Power Dropping out and full ride not recorded

Post by John Mac »

I went for an easy spin today, (recovery), on my fixed gear single speed. The recorded milage is about 10 miles short of reality and if you look at the file my speed jumps around while my cadence is steady. During the ride power was very often at zero when I looked down and would sporadicly come and go... I like this concept but am really considering going with a DFPM as I can't seem to get any consistency with the PP. Something is always off or in need of attention to get it right. If anyone can look at this ride and figure out what is going on, I'd appreciate it.
R/ John

Strava file shows 30.5 miles and 46 minutes of power @Zero
Attachments
iBike_05_03_2016_1322_20_Miles_HiDef_combined.ibr
(561.38 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power Dropping out and full ride not recorded

Post by Velocomp »

The problem is your combined speed/cadence sensor. It is sending bizarre readings...

Two alternatives:

1) upgrade to the new magnet-less Garmin sensors, putting the speed sensor on your front wheel hub. This will fix things instantly (and it's a lot cheaper than a DFPM...)

2) Play around with your speed/cadence sensor, making sure that the magnets pass correctly by the probes.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 5.24.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 5.24.09 PM.png (386.03 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
John Hamann
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

@John: Why do you have a Out-Of-Saddle notification in ISAAC?? I want as well! ;) ;)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Click the "Show" button near the top right corner of the main window.

In the Display Options window, check the "Show Out of Saddle" box.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 6.02.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 6.02.48 AM.png (199.94 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 6.03.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 6.03.10 AM.png (21.97 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
John Hamann
John Mac

Post by John Mac »

Does this also account for the gear ratio changes and the high speed transients that appear throughout the ride? I still don't understand how the rest of the miles from the ride are missing.
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Velocomp wrote:In the Display Options window, check the "Show Out of Saddle" box.
Cool! Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

John Mac wrote:Does this also account for the gear ratio changes and the high speed transients that appear throughout the ride? I still don't understand how the rest of the miles from the ride are missing.
Yes. When speed drops out the PowerPod does not function properly; it does not record data during the dropouts.
John Hamann
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Velocomp wrote:In the Display Options window, check the "Show Out of Saddle" box.
Hi John,
ISAAC is saying that I don't have the "out of the saddle" information in my ride file? Anything what I could change?

Thx
Chris
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

speedracer wrote:
Hi John,
ISAAC is saying that I don't have the "out of the saddle" information in my ride file? Anything what I could change?

Thx
Chris
If you have the box checked, elevation is being shown, you're riding out of the saddle, but not seeing the indication, then you don't have a lot of side to side motion when you are out of the saddle and PP is not detecting the motion. This happens some times.
John Hamann