Initial calibration in windy conditions

Carlos13

Initial calibration in windy conditions

Post by Carlos13 »

I have another thread at the moment where I discussed issues with mounting the PowerPod to my TT bike. I have parked that idea for the time being until I get the TT mount, which I think is due in a couple of weeks. That thread is here: http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3537

In the meantime, I thought I'd see how well I could get the PowerPod to work mounted on the handlebars of my road bike, which I suppose is how 99% of people will use it. I went out for a two hour ride today, the first few minutes the PowerPod recalibrated itself, and then I just carried on riding. I have a DFPM (Classic Power2Max mounted on Rotor 3D+ cranks) and two Garmin head units so I can see how both meters are responding. It's a windy day here today, and because of the route I rode, the few minutes spent in calibration mode were mostly into the wind. Once it had calibrated, I was pleased to see the PowerPod tracking quite close to the DFPM, generally 5-10w above the DFPM reading on average, although with 3s rolling power displayed on both head units as well, it wasn't always close. But I tracked the overall average for the whole two hours after the calibration, and initially it tracked very well. The wind conditions during that spell were similar to the period of calibration - mostly headwind.

However, when I turned to come back home (via a mostly different route), the PowerPod began to significantly over-read in tailwind sections, sometimes it was reading around 400w where the DFPM was reading around 200w. This occurred when I was travelling quite quickly (e.g. 27-28mph) along a mostly flat round, aided by a strong tailwind. Isaac thinks that I was drafting during this period. The over-reading is characteristic, but reduced, almost all the way home, and by the time I got back, the overall average for the whole two hours was 30w higher on the PowerPod (232w vs 202w).

What to make of that? I wonder if the PowerPod is sensitive to the conditions under which it is calibrated? i.e. if you calibrate it into a headwind, it will read well into a headwind, but not a tailwind? That's certainly how it appears from today's ride.

I merged my DFPM file into the .ibr file to check the calibration. It recommended I change the wind scaling from 1.325 to 1.033. Isn't that a little low? I've attached the .ibr with the DFPM embedded, and also there's a photo of the PowerPod mounted to my bike.

The main thing I am wondering is the calibration conditions. I haven't read anywhere that it should be done in stable conditions, or that it's a problem to ride just one way. It's ok for me to check as I have a DFPM, but my friend has just ordered a PowerPod and doesn't have a regular power meter, so I'd like to be able to advise him on his calibration.
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG (170.59 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Attachments
iBike_05_02_2016_0947_39_Miles.ibr
(819.98 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Initial calibration in windy conditions

Post by Velocomp »

PowerPod's "factory default" mode is intended to get you going quickly.

If you're using your PowerPod with a DFPM, then for best results you should update its settings using Isaac:

1) rider weight, height, ride position

2) bike weight

Please provide that information and I'll try to update your profile manually.
John Hamann
Carlos13

Re: Initial calibration in windy conditions

Post by Carlos13 »

I *am* using it with a DFPM at the moment, but that is only to try to understand it's characteristics for use as a standalone power meter. I have updated my profile now, I did that after the ride yesterday. Actually my measurements and weight are very close to the default 180lb/71in, and I did ride on the hoods.

Maybe my question got lost in the rambling, I was just trying to be descriptive! :D

My question is: do you recommend carrying out the initial 8 minute calibration in benign conditions for best results, or failing that, doing some kind of out/back or circuit? Because my friend has just bought a PowerPod and has no DFPM and I'd like to help him get going with accurate data from the start. It appears to me, based on my ride yesterday, that the PowerPod tracked the DFPM very well indeed in the conditions it was calibrated under (headwind), but when riding with a tailwind it was something like 15% out over the course of an hour, and most obviously wrong when the tailwind was strongest.

Is 1.033 a reasonable wind scaling factor for the position I have mounted?