Calibration ride--need to do anything special?

eschlange

Calibration ride--need to do anything special?

Post by eschlange »

Do I need to do anything special during calibration (ride on flat ground, don't use brakes, etc)? Or can I just ride like normal, wherever I want?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Calibration ride--need to do anything special?

Post by Velocomp »

Just ride normally, wherever you want!
John Hamann
Mbaker34

Post by Mbaker34 »

My Powerpod is due to arrive Monday. Looking forward to it. I have both Chip Seal roads and Smooth Asphalt roads here in NE Ohio. There is a great difference in rolling resistance. Should I calibrate on on or the other, my normal rides could have both. How would the Powerpod know the difference? Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

For starters just leave everything as-is. The default settings should work reasonably well for both surfaces.
John Hamann
obo

Post by obo »

Hi,

I've just received my powerpod.
The only thing i have set in Isaac is my weight, and i'm ready to ride.
But i'm wondering if it is ok to start with a "big climb" : my first ride is supposed to be at the moutain, starting with 9km / 7%. I'm not sure it's the better way to calibrate the powerpod. Perhaps should I do a 5 / 10 min flat ride first ?

Thanks a lot for your answer !
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The first 5 minutes of your first ride, the PowerPod will calibrate itself. Then, you're all set!
John Hamann
Mbaker34

Post by Mbaker34 »

Set up my PowerPod for Trainer and numbers line up good with my Kinetic In-ride, which I will now sell.
For outdoor riding, I see in the ISSAC Manual V3.0 there is a Check calibration feature that involves an out and back ride. Can that feature be used with the PowerPod? I understand the manual was written prior to the PowerPod.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You can do an out-and-back ride if you wish, then post it here for comparison.

If your PP is like everyone else's then there won't be many corrections to be made!
John Hamann
Mbaker34

Post by Mbaker34 »

Attached an out and back ride. Not sure how to do the check in Issac. The manual seems to use a lot of Newton references. I notice my power reading occasionally drops out to a dashed line. I have replaced the batteries in head unit and sensor. Magnets close and my speed/cadence never drops out on head unit. I am connecting to a RFLKT+ with the wahoo speed/cadence sensor on rear wheel/left crank. Powerpod mounted on right handlebar, clear in front with Aero bars in front but above. Any advice is appreciated!
Thank You.
Attachments
iBike_04_20_2016_1753_16_Miles.ibr
(181.22 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In the ride file you posted everything looks great.

You did a nice job of the out-and-back ride; it is obvious from the symmetry of the elevation profile.

Do the following:

1) Connect your PowerPod to Isaac

2) Open your out-and-back file

3) Select the Analyze/Check Calibration...feature

4) You'll see that you can achieve a moderate level of improvement. Wind scaling of 1.5 (don't know how that got there...) will be updated to 1.410 (Factory Default is 1.40)

5) Click the "Send Profile to iBike" button, and you will be all set!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 6.42.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 6.42.30 AM.png (121.21 KiB) Viewed 8023 times
John Hamann
speedracer

Post by speedracer »

Thanks for this additional information. What is the best duration for an out-and-back ride?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Five minutes out and five minutes back is perfect. You can make it longer if you want, but don't make it so long that wind conditions change.
John Hamann
Mbaker34

Post by Mbaker34 »

John, thanks for the reply. You are very helpful! I have a few more questions.
1) Is it normal to see a lot of lines to zero when showing power with 0 smoothing?
2) I also notice that if I extract a profile from this ride under edit profiles, it shows the cadence shows an ID but is not enabled.
3) I am not connected to the powerpod right now, but wanted to see the changes. I rode in the drops on Asphalt blend with tubular tires, (Vitoria Zafforo Pro), Premium? This gives me a little bit more change. Is it OK to use these settings?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When PP is set to zero filtering you are seeing totally unprocessed data. ANY change in applied or opposing forces, even for a fraction of a bike crank turn, can cause power swings. So, yes, you can see zero power when using 0 filtering. I personally use Dynamic Power Smoothing or, otherwise, 3 second smoothing.

You have a combined speed/cadence sensor, so the IDs are the same. Everything is fine

I don't understand your final question.
John Hamann
ktula

Post by ktula »

Velocomp wrote:Five minutes out and five minutes back is perfect. You can make it longer if you want, but don't make it so long that wind conditions change.
I should add that the 5-min ride should exceed 1 mile. If not, Isaac will not allow you to use that ride for calibration.
Wasabibutler

Post by Wasabibutler »

I posted in another topic about time for out and back ride, but got answer here.

Just a comment on previous posts, you mentioned the 1.500 wind scaling and don't know how it got there, mine is also set to 1.500 as default, PP on handlebar mount.

I'll do a out and back and see what the difference is.