TT Aerobars + PowerPod

jeremy_foobar

TT Aerobars + PowerPod

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Hi,
I was wondering if the PowerPod has already been tested on a TT bike. If yes I am assuming it will land on the aerobars. Would it require a Wind Sensor like the Newton?
Will a bridge mount provide enough stability for the PowerPod or do I have to rely on a dedicated mount? Any recommendation for the mount?

Thank you,
Jeremy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: TT Aerobars + PowerPod

Post by Velocomp »

A bridge mount, attached to the aero bars near the handlebar, should be sufficient for PowerPod. PowerPod will hang below the aero bars and won't require a remote wind sensor.
John Hamann
F4B1O

Post by F4B1O »

Good morning.
I take advantage of this discussion for asking a similar question about TT mount.
How can I connect the POWERPOD on aerobar?
There is a special mount for 22mm diameter of TT aerobar?
And, the mount should be mounted rotate at 90° respect road handlebar.

Thank you
Fabio
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Hi Fabio,
I understand from John that the best option is to put a bridge such as this one: https://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike- ... nt-bridge/ or this one: http://www.profile-design.com/product/a ... cm-ucm-xl/ as close as possible of the handlebar.

Now the challenge is to verify that those bridge can handle a mount of 31.8mm, it should work but it needs to be verified.

Regards,
Jeremy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The 3T will be a better alternative because it bridges both aero bars.

The PowerPod mount is 31.8 in diameter, and you should be able to attach it to the bridge.

https://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike- ... nt-bridge/
John Hamann
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Thank you John for your answer. Today DC Rainmaker has posted his final review of the PowerPod and mentioned he got mixed results because of the mount. Are you confident about the setup mentioned above? Any idea about when the TT mount you are working on will be available? If I get the PowerPod now will it be compatible with the future TT mount?

Thank you,
Jeremy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Jeremy:

I don't know what kind of TT mount Ray used; he never posted images of it but he told me he wasn't confident his setup would work.

You can buy a PP and then you've got 45 days to try it without risk. With a good mount it should work just fine.
John Hamann
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Hi John,
My order is done. I will let you know about the outcome of my setup. How do we officially express our interest in the live CdA displayed through the Connect IQ API?

Finally, I got lost somewhere on the DCR list of messages. For live CdA, do you need a DFPM?

Jeremy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will be looking at Connect IQ later this year. There's lots of things we can do with it.
John Hamann
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Finally, I didn't go with the bridge mount. I tried but the diameter was smaller than 31.8 and I had to pad with some inner tube. Finally, it was preventing me to put a bottle in between the TT bars as I always do during a race.
I have been able to attach it on my base bare, just beside the stem. I had to shift by a couple of millimetres the base bare to have enough room, therefore it is not as centered as before. I hope it won't trigger any pain. The more important now is that I am quite happy with my PowerPod.

In DCR review, he mentions that you are working on a TT mount. Do you have an ETA? Will it look like a reverse 22.2 mm mount?

Jeremy
Attachments
IMG_20160328_171600.jpg
IMG_20160328_171600.jpg (691.24 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
IMG_20160328_175337.jpg
IMG_20160328_175337.jpg (447.47 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
Last edited by jeremy_foobar on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your images did not attach. Please post again...
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You've got your PowerPod mounted perfectly on your TT bike. Please post a ride file when possible!
John Hamann
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Here it is
Attachments
iBike_03_28_2016_1700_45_km.ibr
(309.67 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Looks good; no blockage of wind port!
John Hamann
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Thank you John for taking the time to check that everything is fine. As mentioned in my previous post, the problem is that my base bare is not as centered as it used to be (by a couple of mms). I am afraid that on a long ride it might cause some pain on my right elbow.

Any plan to release a dedicated TT bar mount? (I did not find a good TT mount so far and a bridge is not ideal either)

Thank you,
Jeremy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are working on something but don't yet have a release date.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

I am still fiddling with the position on a TT bike, in my case a Newton, which is why I read this post.

One thing that struck me about your post was the bottle between your arms, as I also do this and have solved that bit. I use a stem with bottle mounting holes. This frees up more of the TT bars. It moves the bottle back a little, but I actually prefer it.

I am guessing you are using one of the bottles that has a holder that attaches to the bars. Ignore me if you are already doing what I suggest.

I personally use the Tririg one, as they seem to be a good company and it allows it be used for centre pull brakes, which would mean you could replace the caliper one on your bike and reduce frontal area. And, my bike isn't as nice as your one. It seems a shame on nice bikes to have brakes sticking out into the wind.
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

Thank you for your comment. Indeed I am using a holder attached to the bar. I looked at the stem option but there I have the Di2 controller so I am not sure it would fit. As about the caliber it is a good suggestion. The brakes are the out of the boxe ones and this year the bike budget is limited to the PowerPod :D.
jeremy_foobar

Post by jeremy_foobar »

It's great to see the new mount option for TT aerobats: http://www.powerpodsports.com/shop/comb ... rpod-mount

$50 of shipping for those who are living abroad makes it a bit prohibitive. Any plan to update the shipping rate for such a small item?

Regards,
Jeremy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We have alternative, less expensive ways of shipping. Please email Tom at tgore@velocomp.com for details.
John Hamann