Questions regarding the new Startup Wizard in iBike 5.1.1

dtrousdale

Questions regarding the new Startup Wizard in iBike 5.1.1

Post by dtrousdale »

This morning I tried using the new Startup Wizard and my iAero on my fixed gear track bike. I do not have a DFPM on this bike. I use an iAero with up-to-date firmware. The new Startup Wizard appealed to me because coast-downs are not required and are are difficult to perform on a track bike anyway. Here are my questions:

1. On window 5 of the wizard, we are asked: "Have you already done a cal ride on this bike?" Then we can select one of two choices.
  • (a.) The first choice is, "Yes, keep previous cal ride." Does this mean that the iBike software will associate the most recent cal ride with the new profile, even though that cal ride may have a different rider/bike weight associated with it? Even though that cal ride may have had the rider using aero bars instead of regular drops?
    (b.) The second choice is, "No, do cal ride later." If I do the cal ride later, how do I associate that cal ride with the profile I just created and sent to my iBike prior to the cal ride? I assumed I could do that in Profiles/Edit Profiles, but I don't see how to do it. I also tried Profiles/Download Coast-Downs & Calibration Ride, but I could not see how to create a profile using either of the two cal rides I did today after using the new Startup Wizard. Do I also need to do Coast-Downs to create a profile using Profiles/Download Coast-Downs & Calibration Ride? Since I did not do coast-downs (the new Startup Wizard does not require them), it looks like Profiles/Download Coast-Downs & Calibration Ride defaults to assuming I used a DFPM, which I did not use in this case.
2. In describing the new Setup Wizard in his post of 6/8/11, John made this statement: "The wizard's purpose is to make setup even easier, and profile editing unnecessary." Did John mean this ["profile editing unnecessary"] literally? If so, why are all the editing options under Profiles/Edit Profiles still available? Since one can still edit a profile created by the new Quick Start, under what circumstance would one want to do so? Do you have any guidelines for doing this when someone is not familiar with the available choices?

3. Is the new Setup Wizard supposed to be what has been referred to under the forum topic, "Editing Profiles for Dummies (http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... =30#p11320)," as the "Boyd Wizard"? I have been anxiously awaiting the "Boyd Wizard," but this really does not seem to be what I was expecting. Besides getting a usable and reliable profile for my track bike, my other big concern is to get my iBike results to more closely match the results of the DFPM on my TT bike so I can do aero testing.
bjrmd

Re: Questions regarding the new Startup Wizard in iBike 5.1.1

Post by bjrmd »

Ditto on question 3, I was awaiting a more detailed, logical way to edit profile based on DFPM data.
cure

Post by cure »

me too, i've been waiting for a simpler way to set up. but there weren't many options on the new setup wizard. i think john mentioned that they were still working on it even before the release of the new software... if it is this i guess i was expecting something really sophisticated after entering all the info... :?:
architect-stamp
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Every journey begins with a first step.

The Wizard (release 1.0) is intended to provide a much easier way for first-time users to make sure that all of their profile information is entered, that they are guided as they enter information so that the information is correct, and so that the need to read instructions is reduced.

Sounds easy in principle, but in practice it takes a lot of time to implement.

Now that the framework is in place, we're going to move on to the next level, which is analyzing ride files so that we profile modification can be guided more automatically.

Now, to answer specific questions:

1) Travis will answer this one.

2) When incorrect setup information is entered then iBike results will be correspondingly incorrect. Incorrect profile information makes profile editing necessary. So, when information is entered correctly then profile editing becomes unnecessary (or at least, reduces the need). Getting correct user information into the iBike, simply and without button pushing, is the purpose of this release 1.0 of the Wizard.

3) Wizard 1.0 a first step. We are working now on further refinements to the wizard that will check actual ride files and make recommendations to correct the profile if something clearly is wrong. An example: the Crr of the ride file has somehow been set to 0.001. This is clearly wrong (way too low) and needs correction. The wizard will spot the error, recommend a change, and automatically enter the correction into the profile.

Wizard 1.0 is way short of "Boyd in a Box" but we continue to work on it. In the mean time, if you have specific questions regarding your profile please email Travis with your ride files at tape@velocomp.com
John Hamann
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Sorry that it wasn't clear, but the focus of this Wizard is to make things easy for first-time customers. The idea is that they can enter as much information as possible while sitting at the computer and then follow the steps in the video to do the rest on the bike. By following the steps, hopefully a first-timer can quickly get their iBike calibrated without the need of using the "Edit Profiles..." window. It can still be a good tool for existing customers to use, but the main focus was to make things as easy as possible for first-timers.
dtrousdale wrote:1. On window 5 of the wizard, we are asked: "Have you already done a cal ride on this bike?" Then we can select one of two choices.
  • (a.) The first choice is, "Yes, keep previous cal ride." Does this mean that the iBike software will associate the most recent cal ride with the new profile, even though that cal ride may have a different rider/bike weight associated with it? Even though that cal ride may have had the rider using aero bars instead of regular drops?
At the beginning of the wizard, the user is prompted to attach their unit to the computer. The wizard then pulls out the information that is already stored in the unit. For a first-time customer, the values of wind_scaling and riding_tilt would be the factory-default values in which case the "Have you already done a cal ride on this bike?" control is grayed out and automatically set to "No, Do Cal Ride Later" and the wizard simply uses best-guess values for wind scaling and riding tilt. (The reason that the "Mount Type" becomes available is because knowing the mount helps the wizard know what value to use for wind_scaling.) Hopefully the user completes the wizard, watches the video, and does the rest of the cal steps on the bike including the cal ride; however, even if they don't do all the on-the-bike cal steps the wizard has loaded "best effort guesses" into the unit so that they can get reasonable power data. If they do all the steps shown in the video, the data should be in good shape. Once the user does the cal ride, the values of wind_scaling and riding_tilt overwrite the guesses from the wizard.

If the either of the values of wind_scaling or riding_tilt found in the unit at the beginning of the wizard are different than the factory default values (perhaps because the first-time customer has already done a cal ride based on reading the written instructions), the user is presented with the opportunity to keep the results of the cal ride currently in the unit. It might have not been clear, but the wizard does not use any information from saved profiles in the "Edit Profiles" window--again, the thinking is that list is empty for a first-time customer.
dtrousdale wrote:
  • (b.) The second choice is, "No, do cal ride later." If I do the cal ride later, how do I associate that cal ride with the profile I just created and sent to my iBike prior to the cal ride? I assumed I could do that in Profiles/Edit Profiles, but I don't see how to do it. I also tried Profiles/Download Coast-Downs & Calibration Ride, but I could not see how to create a profile using either of the two cal rides I did today after using the new Startup Wizard. Do I also need to do Coast-Downs to create a profile using Profiles/Download Coast-Downs & Calibration Ride? Since I did not do coast-downs (the new Startup Wizard does not require them), it looks like Profiles/Download Coast-Downs & Calibration Ride defaults to assuming I used a DFPM, which I did not use in this case.
There are two different ways you could use the wizard to get your TT bike set up:

1) If you have already done a good cal ride that is saved in a profile, load that profile into your unit before launching the wizard. Answer "yes, keep previous cal ride" and it will be combined with your other settings to make a new profile.

2) Or if you want to redo your cal ride, launch the wizard and answer "no, do cal ride later" and after completing the wizard go out and do a new cal ride as shown in the video.

In either case combining the results of a cal_ride together with the information entered in the wizard will result in a complete profile being written into the iBike device. People with just one bike are good to go; however, in your case where you need to keep more than one profile you can open the "Edit Profiles..." window and click the "Extract from iBike" button in order to save the new profile to your list.

"Boyd in a Box" will be a little different and won't use the Wizard. It has finally bubbled to the the top of my priority stack, and I'm working on it as I can, but at this point I'm still trying to get the emergency issues caused by the release of Mac Lion sorted out so that I can get a new build out there to address them. I'm trying to take care of you existing customers--and note that I would like to use the Boyd in the Box features myself! I would benefit as much as you guys! But we've got limited resources and have to balance effort for the new products and support for new customers. But again, the Boyd in a Box has bubbled up to my top non-emergency task list. I will work on it in stages and tackle the "low hanging fruit" first.
cure

Post by cure »

hi im really frustrated. i still cant install adobe flash player. it says its been installed though but everytime i start up the IBIKE prog. the video doesnt even work and says i have to install it. does the software use internet explorer or something? i cant even install it for the IE browser which is really weird. like i asked before...either here or another thread, can i see that video anywhere or can i download this??? i want to know whats on that video!
architect-stamp
jesawdy

Post by jesawdy »

I believe this is the video that it shows:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Velocompibi ... UAk7MK4ADg

If Flash is not working in your web browsers, you may need to find the Adobe Flash uninstall utility to fix up your computer (Google for it) and then try a re-install.