New AeroPod/PowerPod CdA app for Garmin devices

Matad1974

Re: New AeroPod/PowerPod CdA app for Garmin devices

Post by Matad1974 »

TdeCampo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:47 am Oleksiy,

Many thanks for your great app. I have been using it with 2 fields using the AP as power meter, I ride about 300 miles a week

Problem: during a ride sometimes may be a very short interruption of the data (like radar disconnect and almost immediately reconnected) and everything continuous running well except the CdA app that freezes.

How to solve it:
Turn off and on the garmin OR just replace the CdA field in the data screen with any other one, then put back the CdA app and runs well again.
Here a way also to reproduce the problem"
1. wake up the sensors
2. Turn on the AP
3. Turn on the Garmin
4. Go the Data Sceen where the 2 field CdA is
5. Lift bike and rotate wheel and the numbers change.
6. Go for coffee and allow the garmin to fall sleep
7 Come back, rotate the wheel , speed moves, power shows but the CdA app 2 fields is frozen.

ref:
Garmin 830
Software Version: 7.10

Connected IQ | Apps
-Notifications
-Controls
-Weahter
-Segment Explore
-Light
-Ride Ratios
-Ride with GPS
- AeroPod CdA
-Stopwatch

I'll be glad to provide any additional data that you need or test anything that may help you.

-=terry=-
I'll try this .. thanks
Lopey66

Post by Lopey66 »

Hi all,
just noticed a new version 1.1.16 Updated: October 15, 2021
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f542 ... 3504b1e2#0
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Looks like the option to turn off displaying in the Garmin screens ---

CDA and Time Advantage portions of AP functions ---

Font size change

should be useful for the PP users because these are not used in the PP.
Rembert

Post by Rembert »

Suddenly the app stopped working. That is the display (2 fields) always shows -1,1% slope and 0 wind no matter what. How would I "reset" app/device?
Garmin Edge 530, PPv4, latest firmware

note: my ride shows wind/slope data in Isaac, only the display on garmin edge wont show data

Cheers
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Turn off your Garmin, then turn it back on. Hopefully that will fix things.
John Hamann
Rembert

Post by Rembert »

Turned off the sensor in garmin settings and then back on. Wind and tilt values reappeared. Only the power output suddenly showed zero. On/off did not change anything. Next I forced recal of PP by reconnecting sensors. After that all values showed plausible data. Hope this does not happen to often...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

FWIW, it has not happened to me in 5 years...
John Hamann
lschaffer

Post by lschaffer »

For me the CDA app from Oleksiy does not work

Powerpod V5
Garmin 1030 plus
Latest Garmin firmware and IQ Version
Latest CDa app from Oleksiy

The slope/wind widgets has been added to a screen

I have followed the instructions.

Speed sensor on, PP on, Garmin on.
Power watts are displayed correctly

Slope/wind show only ---

I tried to remove the widget, reinstall Garmin IQ and the app again.

Does this version compatible with the latest Garmin firmware?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lschaffer wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:57 am For me the CDA app from Oleksiy does not work

Powerpod V5
Garmin 1030 plus
Latest Garmin firmware and IQ Version
Latest CDa app from Oleksiy

The slope/wind widgets has been added to a screen

I have followed the instructions.

Speed sensor on, PP on, Garmin on.
Power watts are displayed correctly

Slope/wind show only ---

I tried to remove the widget, reinstall Garmin IQ and the app again.

Does this version compatible with the latest Garmin firmware?
Yes, the AeroPod CdA app is compatible and should work.

Delete the app from your Garmin, then reinstall the app.
John Hamann
lschaffer

Post by lschaffer »

Thanks after reinstall the app and the data segments too it has worked!
Just one question yet, the negative wind is tail or head?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Negative is tail wind. When wind is positive it is opposing you more, so that is a headwind.
John Hamann
lschaffer

Post by lschaffer »

Thanks for the support
lschaffer

Post by lschaffer »

Once again, since yesterday the app does not show slope and wind data. It started as earlier (PP then Garmin) . I removed the data segment from the screen and put it again back, did not help. In the Garmin Connect the slope and wind data is missing also (for a day it has worked yet)
Should I remove the app itself and reinstall?
It is possible that the PP cannot send slope and wind data to the Garmin?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lschaffer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:27 am Once again, since yesterday the app does not show slope and wind data. It started as earlier (PP then Garmin) . I removed the data segment from the screen and put it again back, did not help. In the Garmin Connect the slope and wind data is missing also (for a day it has worked yet)
Should I remove the app itself and reinstall?
It is possible that the PP cannot send slope and wind data to the Garmin?
PP transmits slope and wind data constantly, in the same way it transmits power data. It isn't something that turns on and off.

Your Garmin receives this data and displays it. When you say that you don't see slope and wind data, I'm assuming that you DO see the CdA field, and see --- for the slope and wind fields. Is this correct?

If so, the problem is with your Garmin. I would uninstall and then reinstall the app.
John Hamann
lschaffer

Post by lschaffer »

I have the PP V5 so the CDA fields in the app by Oleksiy have been switched off, for some days the wind and slope data have been displayed in the Garmin screen, yesterday not. Ok I will remove and reinstall the app in the Garmin 1030 plus again
smhagger

Post by smhagger »

Hi guys,

New here-actually a previous iBike / iPro user that moved on to DFPM's years ago-and am considering buying a PP V5 or AP V5 to use with my Garmin Edge 830, this new Connect IQ app, and my DFPM.

Question: I don't have experience connecting both a DFPM and AP or PP to my Garmin at the same time. I would like to continue to get my power data from my DFPM (Garmin Vector 3 or Quarq PM), but pull in the slope and wind data from the PP. Can I do that (have the power that's displayed/recorded come from my DFPM while connected to the PP)?

I just want to make sure that I am able to do what I want before pulling the trigger on a PP or AP. Yes, I'm essentially buying the PP/AP for just the accurate slope, the wind data, and logging those values along with my ride. I'm to the point of wanting to do that vs using a much less accurate barometric pressure based 'grade' data field that Garmin provides.

Thanks in advance!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

smhagger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:27 pm Hi guys,

New here-actually a previous iBike / iPro user that moved on to DFPM's years ago-and am considering buying a PP V5 or AP V5 to use with my Garmin Edge 830, this new Connect IQ app, and my DFPM.

Question: I don't have experience connecting both a DFPM and AP or PP to my Garmin at the same time. I would like to continue to get my power data from my DFPM (Garmin Vector 3 or Quarq PM), but pull in the slope and wind data from the PP. Can I do that (have the power that's displayed/recorded come from my DFPM while connected to the PP)?

I just want to make sure that I am able to do what I want before pulling the trigger on a PP or AP. Yes, I'm essentially buying the PP/AP for just the accurate slope, the wind data, and logging those values along with my ride. I'm to the point of wanting to do that vs using a much less accurate barometric pressure based 'grade' data field that Garmin provides.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, our ConnectIQ app allows you to display slope, wind, and DFPM power data. And yes, PP slope data is MUCH more accurate :-)
John Hamann
smhagger

Post by smhagger »

Thanks John! Now to decide whether to go with the PP or AP unit. Not sure which one to choose. I'm mainly a road cyclist, that rides road and gravel. No TT's or triathlons for me.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

smhagger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm Thanks John! Now to decide whether to go with the PP or AP unit. Not sure which one to choose. I'm mainly a road cyclist, that rides road and gravel. No TT's or triathlons for me.
You already have a DFPM, so if you can spring for the extra $100 I would suggest an AP. It really is interesting/fun to explore the world of aerodynamics. I'm not a TT or tri guy either, but I have learned some useful things about what combinations of clothing and ride position make my riding easier (or harder...).
John Hamann
smhagger

Post by smhagger »

Sounds good-I just placed an order for the AP. I can use the Isaac software with the unit as well? Looking forward to getting re-acquinted with it and taking a look at the insights related to my CdA information (should be interesting, being a small guy and all).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

smhagger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:05 pm Sounds good-I just placed an order for the AP. I can use the Isaac software with the unit as well? Looking forward to getting re-acquinted with it and taking a look at the insights related to my CdA information (should be interesting, being a small guy and all).
Yes, Isaac is available. If you're using a Mac there are weird issues. Make sure to read the installation instructions carefully.
John Hamann
markw65

Post by markw65 »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:22 pm Using our original app as a foundation, Oleksiy made the new AeroPod CdA app on his own time
Is the source code to the original app available somewhere? Or the specs needed to write such an app?

I have my own full screen datafield, and currently I have to have PowerPod CdA on one page, and my datafield on another; if I could pull in the wind speed/slope data directly using the Toybox.ANT apis, I could set things up the way I want on a single screen.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

markw65 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:09 am
Velocomp wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:22 pm Using our original app as a foundation, Oleksiy made the new AeroPod CdA app on his own time
Is the source code to the original app available somewhere? Or the specs needed to write such an app?

I have my own full screen datafield, and currently I have to have PowerPod CdA on one page, and my datafield on another; if I could pull in the wind speed/slope data directly using the Toybox.ANT apis, I could set things up the way I want on a single screen.
Please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com to discuss.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you're reading this page, please note that there is a newer version of AeroPod app available, AeroPod 2.0, that adds a lot of good features. It is available here:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/41ca ... 6c3c15496e
John Hamann
markw65

Post by markw65 »

Velocomp wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:37 am please note that there is a newer version of AeroPod app available, AeroPod 2.0, that adds a lot of good features.
I've seen it, and while it looks great, its actually going in the wrong direction vs what I actually want; I want to be able to include wind speed and slope on the same page as a bunch of other metrics that I choose.

I can sort of do that with the old app - but some of the fields that I want to choose are provided by my own app; and there's no way to have both on screen at the same time with a sensible layout. eg I could put the powerpod in the top half of the display, and mine in the bottom half, but then the powerpod app would have two huge fields, and mine would have 10 unreadably small fields.

So what I really want to do is access the ant data directly, and incorporate it into my own data field. Apparently oleksiy was able to "use the original app as a foundation". I'm wondering if whatever he used is publicly available?
Kuryaky

Post by Kuryaky »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:29 pm
smhagger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:27 pm Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
Yes, our ConnectIQ app allows you to display slope, wind, and DFPM power data. And yes, PP slope data is MUCH more accurate :-)
how I can relay DFPM powermeter data to my garmin from powerpod, how I know that the power info coming to garmin it is really from DFPM? there its any setting I have to change over ISAAC to the powerpod?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you have a DFPM paired to your PowerPod, then the power transmitted by PowerPod to the Garmin is from your DFPM. There is no adjustment you need to make.
John Hamann
Kuryaky

Post by Kuryaky »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:50 am If you have a DFPM paired to your PowerPod, then the power transmitted by PowerPod to the Garmin is from your DFPM. There is no adjustment you need to make.
It work like a charm! I just need to pair my HRM and powerpod and that’s it, but not luck transmit for AERPOD APP, I have my powerpod ble pair by any+.
Any clue.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Kuryaky wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:42 pm
Velocomp wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:50 am If you have a DFPM paired to your PowerPod, then the power transmitted by PowerPod to the Garmin is from your DFPM. There is no adjustment you need to make.
It work like a charm! I just need to pair my HRM and powerpod and that’s it, but not luck transmit for AERPOD APP, I have my powerpod ble pair by any+.
Any clue.
PP does not transmit HR data to your Garmin. You need to pair your HR strap separately to your Garmin
John Hamann