riding with powder

kurt

riding with powder

Post by kurt »

Hello,
I have now a powerpod v3 for more than 1 year. It really gives me some understanding but I am apparently I need some more help.

Today (Thursday) I did the mont-ventoux, a famous mountain in the south of France, and I was very disappointed about the power I could push.

I will try to explain why I had this feeling. Currently I can push 280 W in 20minutes and to be honest I think I even can go faster because I am recuperated in a minute (but it is difficult to go full force on the road).

Last Tuesday, I did a ride where I had a NP of 232. I even wasn't tired
Thursday, when mounting the mount-ventoux, I had the feeling when I pushed 200 W my heart was going to explode. And I really had to go all end to reach the top.

I have attached the 2 files.
I know that it is very difficult to compare rides but I find the difference a little too big. Is there something wrong with the powerpod/callibration?
Did I do the wrong training (I have done 5300 km this year and the file of Tuesday is a normal ride for me)?

If somebody could give me some more insight/help, I would really appreciate.

Many Thanks

Kurt Verheyden
Attachments
Velocomp_09_07_2021_0753_74_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 347 times
Velocomp_09_09_2021_0915_57_km_HiDef.ibr
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: riding with powder

Post by Velocomp »

I looked at your ride files.

On your 9/7 ride you had a steep slope near the top of your ride, about 5%. Your power output was about 293W, with a bike speed of 11.2 mph.

The 9/9 ride had a pretty consistent slope for the first ½ of the climb, of 7%. Your average power was 186W, but your bike speed was 5.3 mph, less than half your 9/7 ride.

I think what's going on is that the (very difficult) Mount Ventoux climb requires long exertion (90 minutes for the section analyzed). You will see a significant drop-off in power output when it has to be sustained over a long time period.

The NP on your 9/7 ride is higher because your climb was only about 0.9%--almost flat.

So, the two rides are very different

I think your PP is working properly, and it's clear that you're working very hard, too!
John Hamann
kurt

Post by kurt »

Hello,

So if I read your comment correctly, I should train more on long exertions so I can improve this power output. Correct?

Thanks for looking into the files.

best regards

Kurt
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kurt wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:07 am Hello,

So if I read your comment correctly, I should train more on long exertions so I can improve this power output. Correct?

Thanks for looking into the files.

best regards

Kurt
There is a huge difference between FTP power, which represents your maximum average watts output for a 1 hour time trial, and the kind of long, slow ride you did to climb the mountain.

I am certainly not an expert on how to train for these events, but Hunter Allen's book, "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" should give you the direction you are seeking. This book is widely available, including from our website, where we have signed copies.

https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/coll ... ower-meter
John Hamann
kurt

Post by kurt »

I have bought the book from your site but apperently didn't read it carefully enough.

The problem is that for such long and steep hills, I haven't got the correct gear.
Bike manufacturers think that normal people can push the same power as pro's. Even a 50X34 in front and a 11X30 in the back is way to big for me to push. When you drop below 10 km/h you are in problem.