Powerpod Malfunction

AleM

Powerpod Malfunction

Post by AleM »

Hello,

I have had my powerpod V3 for about 3 months or so, I love it when it works but when it does not it is a pain.

For the last 3 days, it shows high watts for the first 2-5 minutes then it goes to 0, randomly it will show 5-10 watts but it will mostly remain at 0 watts. I will try doing a hard reset holding the button for 10 seconds today but if that does not work, I dont know what else to do. The pod is mounted solid on the bike so it is not moving and no cables are blocking it, this already happened to me once before about a month a half ago and I had to do a reset using Isaac, the problem now is that I am not by my computer and I won't be near it for a few months as I am not staying home during covid and I am using an old Windows vista computer or even older (I have a MAC at home that is paired to the pod).

Any help would be appreciated
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod Malfunction

Post by Velocomp »

This will be tough to diagnose without a ride file.

You can download an old version of Isaac/Windows for your PC. If you want to do this email me at jhamann@velocomp.com and I will send you a link that might work on your old PC.
John Hamann
AleM

Post by AleM »

Thanks, email sent.
AleM

Post by AleM »

I just emailed you 2 ride files, one prior to the malfunction and one from today after doing a 12 sec reset.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

AleM wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:16 pm I just emailed you 2 ride files, one prior to the malfunction and one from today after doing a 12 sec reset.
To what email address did you send the ride files?
John Hamann
AleM

Post by AleM »

I sent them to jhamann@velocomp.com but they got returned as undeliverable so I have attached them again here, my email to you below:

John,

Attached you can find my ride files, the first one froim 07/16 is when it was acting fine before the Powerpod starting showing 0 all the time, the second one is from today after I reset the powerpod (both rides are in the same location), it works but sometimes it shows 0 even when I am pedaling and it shows very low watts on average, my bike is a trek dual sport 4 2020 Hybrid and my computer is a wahoo roam element with the wahoo speed and cadance sensors. PS. I just updated the PP to the new firmware update and re-seted the PP again completely using Isaac and loaded the profile from the ride before it started malfunctioning. I will test it today to see if that fixed the problem. Please let me know what I can do to correct this and keep it from happening again. I appreciate it.
Attachments
Velocomp_07_30_2020_1009_6_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(226.12 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Velocomp_07_16_2020_1016_6_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(189.75 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
AleM

Post by AleM »

John,

I just finished a ride after I reseted the PP to factory defaults using ISAAC and loaded the 7/16 calibration and I got similar results to the 7/16 ride on the same 6 mile ride, any idea why the PP was malfunctioning? or if I need further calibration? hopefully this does not happen again (although this is the third time this has happened). one more question, I do most of my riding on paved roads but occasionally, I go on dirt trails so do I need to do something so it shows accurate readings on the trails or will it throw the calibration out?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

AleM wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm John,

I just finished a ride after I reseted the PP to factory defaults using ISAAC and loaded the 7/16 calibration and I got similar results to the 7/16 ride on the same 6 mile ride, any idea why the PP was malfunctioning? or if I need further calibration? hopefully this does not happen again (although this is the third time this has happened). one more question, I do most of my riding on paved roads but occasionally, I go on dirt trails so do I need to do something so it shows accurate readings on the trails or will it throw the calibration out?
What's going on is that, between rides, you are changing your profile. I don't know why you are doing this, but when profiles are changed without care, things can go wrong.

In your 7/30 ride file your rolling resistance Crr is 0.00064. This is approximately the resistance achieved by riding on a lake of ice...

This is why your watts are so low.

I changed your Crr back to 0.0054, the value you had on your 7/16 ride file, and things were OK afterwards. Corrected file attached.

Load your 7/16 profile into your unit and ride with it. You should get consistent results.
Attachments
AleM_07_30_2020_1009_6_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(233.08 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
John Hamann
AleM

Post by AleM »

Thanks, I will do that. I didn't really change the profile but since I reseted the pp doing the 12 second reset and I wasn't by my computer I created a different profile in the meantime. I will upload it once I am by my computer again. Any feedback on my trail question? Thank you again.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

AleM wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm Thanks, I will do that. I didn't really change the profile but since I reseted the pp doing the 12 second reset and I wasn't by my computer I created a different profile in the meantime. I will upload it once I am by my computer again. Any feedback on my trail question? Thank you again.
Let's get your unit working consistently on the road, then we will worry about dirt trails.
John Hamann