real time display

ronpei

real time display

Post by ronpei »

Hi velocomp folk, do you think it will be possible to have a real time display of right left balance on the Newton using power stroke? I am thinking that if you repurpose the power bar you could center it for perfect balance and the proportion of left to right leg imbalance could be the bar moving in that direction, ie 1 bar right means 60 % right 40 % left? I think that the fore/ aft acceleration and left/ right sway could be calculated and displayed, it would probably not have to have high accuracy because of the bar resolution and the sampling/ display rate could be filtered as well to refresh every x seconds. The ability to look at this in real time would allow you to adjust your actions and see the effect, of course on a nice quiet road.

I would think a similar display could be added to the Isaac power stroke.

When I watch the video the "good" pedal stroke looks to be a lot of right leg and less left leg in the production of power based upon how much of the motion is on the right side of the center vs left. If one did a 1 leg pedalling exercise what would it look like for the right and then the left?

I am a person who would get more benefit from a real time feedback rather than retrospectively trying to remember which is why I am wondering if there is a plan or a way forward to a real time display.
thanks
Ron
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: real time display

Post by Velocomp »

Thanks for your suggestion.

There is a LOT of math that happens to make PowerStroke calculations. We're not sure the current generation of Newton microprocessor has sufficient capacity to do all the work, but we absolutely agree that this is the direction we want to head.

Stay tuned...
John Hamann
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

thanks for the reply, that is great to hear. Is it possible to enhance the Isaac software to show left right balance? it certainly looks to be there if you look at the proportion of time that the motion spends in the left right side of center. I would think that more forward motion indicates more force from that leg and this should be the same for the wobble to the side of the leg in the power phase. So more distance in that direction should be proportional in some way to the power output on that side?
FK53

Post by FK53 »

I recently bought a Powerpod v2 (in fact I bought 2 in order not to have move them between my bikes) and use it with my Sigma Rox 11 and 12. Screens of these can be customized with 6 values on it and set one with Speed, Heartbeat, Cadence, Pedaling smoothness, Power, and left-right balace because that is what I want to monitor mostly when training. But when cycling the pedaling smoothness and l-r balance remain blank. Looking through the powerpod specs I realized that it takes the powerstroke upgrade to register these values. Bit of a bummer, I had not seen that software extra’s cost extra money (and even twice in my case) when buying the powerpod, but OK my mistake of not doing my research better. But before buying the upgrade I am doing my research this time. Will I see these values on my screen while cycling when I buy the upgrade?
Does anyone know?

Thanks
FK53
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

PowerStroke data is seen only in Isaac software. It is not available on-screen.
John Hamann
FK53

Post by FK53 »

Thanks fir the quick reply
EHB

Post by EHB »

Is it possible that some extremely simple data could be transmitted, particularly where an ANT+ data type already exists?

For example, pedal smoothness & L/R balance? For smoothness you could just transmit variability and copy the standard bodge for L/R balance.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

As it turns out, Powerstroke is an extremely computational-intensive measurement. We are recording acceleration numbers 16x per second. Those numbers are processed by algorithms in Isaac, where computational power is essentially unlimited.

It may be possible in the future to use an on-board microprocessor that has sufficient computational "juice", but until that happens, Powerstroke will remain a post-ride measurement.
John Hamann
CyclingTwoVlogger

Post by CyclingTwoVlogger »

Hi. I have a question regarding Power Stroke function.
If I have Power Stroke feature, can I turn it off(when I don't need it) to save PP memory and battery?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

CyclingTwoVlogger wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:53 pm Hi. I have a question regarding Power Stroke function.
If I have Power Stroke feature, can I turn it off(when I don't need it) to save PP memory and battery?
PS can't be turned "off", except by not pairing a cadence sensor to your PP.

PS doesn't use any extra battery, and you'll get 27 hours of ride file recording with PS turned on.
John Hamann
CyclingTwoVlogger

As I see there is a way to turn off the Powerstroke recording in PP memory, just need to switch in the "sample rate" tab from Powerstroke to 1sec.
Will it increase recording ride time?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

CyclingTwoVlogger wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am As I see there is a way to turn off the Powerstroke recording in PP memory, just need to switch in the "sample rate" tab from Powerstroke to 1sec.
Will it increase recording ride time?
I don't know where you are making this adjustment using Isaac...
John Hamann
CyclingTwoVlogger

If I switch from PowerStroke to 1 sec sample rate, does the PP will stop to save PS data? Need it for long rides(2-3days) when I don't have PC.
Attachments
PP.JPG
PP.JPG (61.07 KiB) Viewed 13477 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Well, you have rediscovered something I long ago forgot about. Excellent!

This command is available in "Device/Setup/Set Sample Rate..."

If you uncheck PowerStroke and set to 1 second recording, then click the "Send to ibike" button, you should extend your ride record ability to over 400 hours.

I have not verified that this manual "PowerStroke uncheck" feature works on PowerPod, but let's hope it does...
John Hamann
CyclingTwoVlogger

Great!!!!👍👍👍
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Turn PowerStroke recording on/off

Post by Velocomp »

CyclingTwoVlogger wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 am Great!!!!👍👍👍
CONFIRMED!!!

For PowerPod/AeroPod devices you can use the Isaac command "Device/Setup/Set Sample Rate.." to turn PowerStroke recording on and off.

I will add this to our instructions. Thanks so much for spotting this feature! :D
John Hamann