Major firmware update for AeroPod

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Major firmware update for AeroPod

Post by Velocomp »

UPDATE FEB 28 2020: AEROPOD INSTRUCTIONS HAVE BEEN UPDATED FOR FW 712 CHANGES. YOU CAN GET AEROPOD INSTRUCTIONS HERE:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4761

We've been working hard all winter on a major firmware update for AeroPod.

36 beta versions later (!) we are ready to release FW712.

New to this firmware are two profiles that measure CdA (profile 4 and 3).

Profile 4 is used for highest-precision CdA testing when riding in loops or out-and-back rides.

Profile 3 is used for race-day live CdA measurement.

----------------------

NEW: Profile 4, Highest accuracy CdA testing, riding in loops or out-and-back rides

Profile 4 is used when riding on closed loops or out-and-back courses, and is designed to provided highest accuracy and consistency of CdA measurement.

Here's how to use it:

1) Set your AP to profile 4

2) Go to a place where you can do closed-loop or out-and-back lap testing. At the end of each lap you will mark the lap using your Garmin or Raptor bike computer.

3) Note that you can use the automatic-lap-marker feature of your Garmin or Raptor, or alternatively you can mark laps manually with your bike computer's lap marker button (note: in my testing I found that, unless the GPS signal is strong, bike-computer-based auto-lap marking is less reliable).

4) Each time a lap is marked, the Garmin/Raptor displays your measured, average CdA for the just-completed lap. The averaged CdA value is shown for 30 seconds; after that, live CdA display resumes

5) In the ride file, you’ll see each lap’s average CdA shown in the HR field, for 30 seconds, at the end of each lap. This lap CdA value is more accurate than the computations made in Isaac. The lap CdA appears as a flat line, 30 seconds long, in the HR field.

6) For profile 4 ONLY, the conversion formula from HR to CdA has changed. The conversion formula is

CdA(profile4) = (HR + 180)/1000

For example, a HR of 200 is a CdA of 0.380

We made this change so that CdA can be resolved to 0.001 in the HR channel (in profile 3, the resolution is 0.004)

Why is profile 4 measurement now more accurate?

When riding in closed-loop laps AeroPod can fine-tune, with very high precision, its accelerometer tilt calibration. For example, in a one mile loop, the fine-tuned tilt calibration precision at the end of each lap is 99.98%. Using the fine-tuned calibration measured at the end of each lap, the FW calculates the average CdA for the just-completed lap. Then, for the next lap the tilt calibration is updated with the measurement from the last-completed lap, improving the accuracy of the next lap's CdA measurement.

So, when riding in closed loops or out-and-back routes, Profile 4 provides the highest accuracy and consistency of CdA measurement.

When using profile 4 high-accuracy CdA lap measurement, it’s best to have a 1-2 mile long loop or out-back, and to do 2 or 3 laps in succession per test.

PROFILE 3: TRAIN/RACE-DAY LIVE CDA

Profile 3 is intended for CdA measurement on training and race days. What’s different about profile 3 is that a different tilt correction method is used that is continuous and does not require you to ride in closed-loop laps. The profile 3 correction algorithm is very good but it doesn’t achieve the 99.98% precision of the profile 4 lap feature. So, in profile 3 you will get useful, live CdA throughout the ride, without the need to ride in loops or out-and-back routes, but perhaps with a bit less precision.

Here's how to use the "Train/race Live CdA" feature

1) Set your profile to profile 3 (you can copy your profile 4 settings into profile 3 if you wish, but you’ll need to manually select profile 3 using Isaac).

2) Start riding. After a few minutes live CdA will appear, and continue to appear for the remainder of your ride

3) If you hit the lap button while in profile 3 you’ll see your average CdA for the prior lap, but there won’t be any lap-CdA correction applied

We will be posting this firmware soon on Isaac, but if you're anxious to get it sooner, please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com
John Hamann
speedyvelo

Re: Major firmware update for AeroPod

Post by speedyvelo »

John,

Thank you for the upgrade.

I use the first 3 profiles of the aeropod as a powermeter without a DFPM and the Profile 4 with DFPM to evaluate CdA under different setups.

Q: With this change am I going to have problems when I use profile 3 as power meter?

Can you discuss profile 3 as a power meter vs profile 3 for Cda during regular riding.

-=terry=-
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You can continue to use profile 3 as a power meter; in fact, with the new FW profile 3 will function even better as a power meter.
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

John,

would that be the best profile to use when using the Aeropod as a power meter? Or should one rather use profile 1 or 2? Any restrictions regarding the first minutes to ensure accuracy?

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GooseRider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 pm John,

would that be the best profile to use when using the Aeropod as a power meter? Or should one rather use profile 1 or 2? Any restrictions regarding the first minutes to ensure accuracy?

Morten
Profiles 1-3 can be used as power meter profiles. Profile 4 is reserved for Aero Testing on closed loops.
John Hamann
speedyvelo

Post by speedyvelo »

Thxs John

-=terry=-
cgsjr

Post by cgsjr »

I have tried updating using the newest ISAAC but it stated I was up to date with 7.09

Why does this not work every time a new update is released?

I have emailed support using the given email 'technicalsupport@velocomp.com' three times and it fails every time
with a this error:

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to technicalsuppport@velocomp.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

Please fix this!

thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

That is strange...we have used this email address for 15 years without problems!

Please send your request to jhamann@velocomp.com and also velocomp.llc@gmail.com

Let's hope one of those addresses will work!
John Hamann
cgsjr

Post by cgsjr »

I found the problem.
The address I sent the request to was technicalsuppport@velocomp.com

Notice the THREE 'p' letters; I hate when things turn out to be my fault.

I sent a request to the corrected address.

Thanks for the quick reply to my original post.
cgsjr

Post by cgsjr »

It wasn't my fault after all, Yeah.

I was sure that I had copied and pasted the support email but
concluded that I somehow messed up the address;
NOT SO.

Your email link is spelled wrong!

See the following post for the link that needs corrected.
https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=5382
New AeroPod instructions for use with new FW 712

There are a lot of new, cool features in FW712 and you'll want to use them as soon as possible.

If you have an AeroPod, please email technicalsuppport@velocomp.com to get the latest FW 712. Please include the serial number of your AeroPod in your email.

Glad that mystery is solved and that I am exonerated :lol:
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

cgsjr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:46 pm It wasn't my fault after all, Yeah.

I was sure that I had copied and pasted the support email but
concluded that I somehow messed up the address;
NOT SO.

Your email link is spelled wrong!

See the following post for the link that needs corrected.
https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=5382
New AeroPod instructions for use with new FW 712

There are a lot of new, cool features in FW712 and you'll want to use them as soon as possible.

If you have an AeroPod, please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com to get the latest FW 712. Please include the serial number of your AeroPod in your email.

Glad that mystery is solved and that I am exonerated :lol:
OOPS!

THANKS SO MUCH!!! FIXED :-)
John Hamann
syll1914

Post by syll1914 »

lost in details...so if I m using AeroPod only like a powermeter (profile 1-3) I don t need to make to be worry about first 5 minute from every ride or first 5 minute after the powermeter is off...right?...riding in group after a coffee break it is impossible to make this..even alone in my area it is very hard to find a road for a good calibration so I made it with few months ago and after I just turned on my aeropod. And what s happening if when I made the calibration ride my weight wasn t the same and my bike sometimes is dotated with a minim one fully water bottle?...aa and it is possible to change that option what make my aeropod to go to sleep auto after 5 minute?...thank you!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Oops...I did not see this post until just now (March 30).

1) Correct. If using profiles 1-3, no need to worry about first 5 minutes. AP will continue to self calibrate its tilt sensor

2) No matter which profile you use, you need to do only 1 cal ride.

3) Don't worry about water bottles with respect to cal ride

4) To turn off AP immediately, click its button 5 times. You'll see solid green/yellow/red, then off.
John Hamann