Setting up with a dumb spin bike

DomCimino

Setting up with a dumb spin bike

Post by DomCimino »

Hello
I have an ancient, dumb but great Schwinn IC Elite Spin Bike - I've used it indoors over the years with cadence+speed sensors+HRM to get a good handle on my training in the winter. I want to try and throw in power now with my PP. There are no power curve profiles that I can see in Isaac for a generic or other spin bike. Any suggestions about how I can best approach setting up an estimated power curve by tweaking one of the existing indoor trainer profiles? I know it is never going to be bang accurate but it would be good to give it a try. Wondering whether I can guess it from RPE on the indoor bike vs data from equivalent effort ride on a bike in the real world..? Thanks for any ideas.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Setting up with a dumb spin bike

Post by Velocomp »

Here is what I would do:

1) Post a ride file from your outdoor riding that shows PP HR readings and power readings.

2) You'll need to get ANT+ speed readings from your indoor trainer. How do you plan to do this?

3) Once you have speed sensor readings, do an indoor ride with PP set to trainer mode and with your PP paired to your indoor speed sensor and your HR strap. It doesn't make any difference which trainer profile you use.

4) Do a series of 2 minute intervals, with increasing levels of effort, holding a constant speed.

5) Post the indoor trainer ride file. I will find an indoor trainer profile that reflects power output that mimics your HR level on your outdoor ride.
John Hamann
DomCimino

Re: Setting up with a dumb spin bike

Post by DomCimino »

That's worth a go - thanks.
I should have said in the original post - I'm going to stick Garmin speed and cadence sensors onto the Spin Bike (assuming I can find a way of attaching the speed unit...) and then work from there. I was planning to pair them with my old battered Garmin 500 and set the wheel circumference etc etc. If I get all that to work... I'll get back to you - thanks for your help!