Other way then Isaac to manage workouts on PowerPod

karel_k

Other way then Isaac to manage workouts on PowerPod

Post by karel_k »

I am using Isaac for Mac very long time and I am very happy about it's functionality. I understand complexity of your situation and can wait for new 64bit Isaac for Mac, but I will need to install Catalina in few weeks. Is there another way how I can manage workouts with May on the PowerPod without Isaac? I need to download workouts and delete them from PowerPod at least.
Thank you
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Other way then Isaac to manage workouts on PowerPod

Post by Velocomp »

karel_k wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 am I am using Isaac for Mac very long time and I am very happy about it's functionality. I understand complexity of your situation and can wait for new 64bit Isaac for Mac, but I will need to install Catalina in few weeks. Is there another way how I can manage workouts with May on the PowerPod without Isaac? I need to download workouts and delete them from PowerPod at least.
Thank you
We have an idea which we will be testing later this week. Stay tuned...
John Hamann
karel_k

Post by karel_k »

I saw this today: https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/prod ... _c93t3Lci8
Would be possible to get an image instead of shipping whole piece of USB?
Thank you
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

karel_k wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:22 am I saw this today: https://velocomp-llc.myshopify.com/prod ... _c93t3Lci8
Would be possible to get an image instead of shipping whole piece of USB?
Thank you
We have investigated this some and I don't think it is possible. A bootable disk has to be copied bit-for-bit, and this does not seem possible with images.
John Hamann
karel_k

Post by karel_k »

Do you think that dd command will not work here? If you can send me the image I can test it.
Thank you
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

An image of the thumb drive will not work. The drive has other information that is needed for the Mac system to recognize that it has bootable information on it. An image file has all the necessary pieces for the rest of running Mojave, bot the key bits for the system to know that the external drive is bootable. Once you have Catalina installed on the internal drive of your Mac computer, it takes a significant amount of work to go back to Mojave or earlier versions of the operating system. Those details ARE available by searching the internet. You cannot even just create from the Mojave installer an external drive, such as what Velocomp is making available, if you are attempting to do it from a system running Catalina.

There are means available to create what Velocomp is providing on the thumb drive - but once again, if you already have Catalina loaded and running on your system, there are several steps involved and many are likely to be unable to jump through those hoops.

An alternative, if you have the appropriate files, is to search for Disk Creator. (https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/) And follow the steps. This just provides the install for the operating system version you plan on reverting to or using on the thumb drive - which also means you need to know how to get to the Apple created installer for that OS version. Another internet search. Note: this method does not get you Isaac, too. You have to create the new Mojave or other MacOS on some disk/or thumb drive - then install onto that (after booting from that drive/thumb drive and proceed with installing Isaac and the National Instruments files/USB controls that Velocomp has in these forum files.

OR - just get the thumb drive from Velocomp.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lorduintah wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 am An image of the thumb drive will not work. The drive has other information that is needed for the Mac system to recognize that it has bootable information on it. An image file has all the necessary pieces for the rest of running Mojave, bot the key bits for the system to know that the external drive is bootable. Once you have Catalina installed on the internal drive of your Mac computer, it takes a significant amount of work to go back to Mojave or earlier versions of the operating system. Those details ARE available by searching the internet. You cannot even just create from the Mojave installer an external drive, such as what Velocomp is making available, if you are attempting to do it from a system running Catalina.

There are means available to create what Velocomp is providing on the thumb drive - but once again, if you already have Catalina loaded and running on your system, there are several steps involved and many are likely to be unable to jump through those hoops.

An alternative, if you have the appropriate files, is to search for Disk Creator. (https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/) And follow the steps. This just provides the install for the operating system version you plan on reverting to or using on the thumb drive - which also means you need to know how to get to the Apple created installer for that OS version. Another internet search. Note: this method does not get you Isaac, too. You have to create the new Mojave or other MacOS on some disk/or thumb drive - then install onto that (after booting from that drive/thumb drive and proceed with installing Isaac and the National Instruments files/USB controls that Velocomp has in these forum files.

Our thumb drive has both Mojave and Isaac fully installed. You don't have to anything other than boot from our thumb drive.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:16 pm
lorduintah wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:15 am An image of the thumb drive will not work. The drive has other information that is needed for the Mac system to recognize that it has bootable information on it. An image file has all the necessary pieces for the rest of running Mojave, bot the key bits for the system to know that the external drive is bootable. Once you have Catalina installed on the internal drive of your Mac computer, it takes a significant amount of work to go back to Mojave or earlier versions of the operating system. Those details ARE available by searching the internet. You cannot even just create from the Mojave installer an external drive, such as what Velocomp is making available, if you are attempting to do it from a system running Catalina.

Our thumb drive has both Mojave and Isaac fully installed. You don't have to anything other than boot your Catalina-Mac from our VelocompIsaac thumb drive. You do this by restarting your computer while holding down the Option key, then selecting the VelocompIsaac drive.
John Hamann
JaDub

Post by JaDub »

I'm interested in a solution other than windows.

VirtualBox running High Sierra?
What about a linux distro - is that an option?
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

Virtual Box, Parallels or VM Fusion - any of these can be configured to run any of the Mac OX versions (High Sierra or even Mojave - even an earlier OS) that remain 32 bit compatible.

Build your virtual OS, then install Isaac and the National Instruments pieces and you should be good to go. You even can set these so that ride files are stored inside Catalina's directories for the future when Isaac is finally a 64 bit application.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lorduintah wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:28 am Virtual Box, Parallels or VM Fusion - any of these can be configured to run any of the Mac OX versions (High Sierra or even Mojave - even an earlier OS) that remain 32 bit compatible.

Build your virtual OS, then install Isaac and the National Instruments pieces and you should be good to go. You even can set these so that ride files are stored inside Catalina's directories for the future when Isaac is finally a 64 bit application.
If you're an AeroPod owner, there is a benefit to using Isaac/Windows. Isaac/Windows is currently running version 5.0.3, which has important improvements for CdA analysis.
John Hamann