Multibike & "best" cal

Wobblydrow

Multibike & "best" cal

Post by Wobblydrow »

I sent this by email but no reply so perhaps blocked due to attachments:
Hi
You sent me a tweaked file for my first bike and when plugged into my rides makes sense.

I have now changed to another two bike, never paired with powerpod with separate sensors. I inputted the profile details in each and set to “best” calibration ride in each case. The instructions in the Isaac software do not appear to correspond with how the unit behaves when on this longer cal ride.The instructions say
• Attach your Device to it's bike mount, wake it, and ride to a quiet spot.
• When you’ve reached a good starting point for your cal ride, click the button/center button to start the O&B Cal Ride.
• Ride for five minutes, until solid red light (PowerPod) or “go bac(k), turn 180 degrees” is displayed (Newton). When safe, slow to a stop, turn around, and ride back to the starting point.
• Light flashes yellow (PowerPod) or the progress bar empties (Newton) as you ride back to your starting point. Keep riding yellow light goes out, or until the progress bar is completely empty, and “Cal Done” flashes.

[*]I went to start and woke unit. It flashed green exactly 8 times and then turned off, which suggests not found a sensor. If I pressed the button nothing happened on my head unit to indicate a calibration was happening unlike the standard O&B cala ride. No power was shown on the head unit, I assumed that the 10 minute cal ride had failed to set up correctly. I then pressed for 4 seconds and the powerpod found my sensor after more than 8 green flashes and I could do a standard short O&B ride. This occurred with both additional bikes exactly the same, after a 4 second press the sensors are located (wahoo on one, garmin the other so not a sensor issue).
[*]As it was raining in the morning I wanted to make sure the calibration was ok on my commute home on bike 3. I reset the device to scan and calibrate, it appeared to calibrate ok, counting up to 100 O&B and then displaying power, however, for the rest of the ride, no angle or wind appeared on the CDA screen, yet a power was shown .
[*]I got home and reset the profile to do a best cal ride again. As before, it did not do what the instructions said. This time it went to a red/green light straight away, and even without pressing the button, started a standard O&B calibration but no sign of the 5 minute each direction lights, ust 0-100 as usual.

So my questions are a
[*] How to you actually get a best cal 10 minute ride working, I have now had three attempts with three bikes and don’t get anything except the standard short cal ride showing even when I followed the instructions to the letter.
[*] What should the display show when doing the longer cal ride? Would be a huge help to describe what they will see on the the bike computer. or if nothing what the lights will do...is green x 8 flashes indication its working..should be be 1-100 and then normal power, or 1-300 (5 minutes) etc?
[*] When I re calibrate why didntt I get the wind and angle on the CDA screen, even though the calibration appears to have worked?
[*] Why does the short cal ride start without ever pressing the button. The guide says red/green light is ready and then press to start and will go yellow, but most times as soon as you move the calibration starts, even if its not at a location you want.
[*] Can you check the attached rides (I have marked cal as i used the calibrate function to correct after the planned 10 min ride never worked)

The first bike is marked Izalco which you have already helped with and is pure road bike
Izalco cal ride.ibr
(63.54 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
the second is a DeRosa Merak thats a bit chunkier frame but still a pure road bike
Merak cal.ibr
(51.62 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
, the third is a Focus Paralane which more endurance geometry and lower pressure 30mm tyres
Paralane cal .ibr
(52.97 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Of interest, the friction post using the calibration function 9 on one bike, 17 on another and 30 on another, would you really expect such a difference? If i read these into the same ride file they change power by up to 30%......if these are not right how do I ever fix them, every time the cal rides appear to need the wind fixing in the software, so i dont know what the believe is right.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Multibike & "best" cal

Post by Velocomp »

1) The cal ride is much shorter now, it takes only about 6 minutes total. Refer to the graphic attached.

2) At the end of the cal ride (100W) the flashing yellow light goes out and normal watts appear. This is described in the instructions, attached.

3) I don't understand your question. Are you using the ConnectIQ app?

4) What version of FW are you using?

5) The calibration profiles look fine. Don't worry about "Fric" Its value is related to riding tilt.
Attachments
PP O&B 6.41+080519.pdf
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 168 times
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

Thanks

So the better and best ride options is now no different than the 0 to 100 out and back and their is only one option? Is the better/best present in the software because older units can make use of it?

Any info anywhere on what bits of the software are powerpod only..... Perhaps once it knows what the unit is the options for other models should be greyed out non selectable if not valid?

I am using the most up to date firmware that Isaac said was available, sorry units on bike to get exact number but was matching the latest discussed on here.

Thanks,!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I got your FW version from your ride file. You are up-to-date.

Correct on better/best...this is mostly for older generations of products.
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

One last question (hopefully). if i take one of my rides with bike 1 data and use the "switch after ride profile", to my other bikes, i see average watts change from 123 to 134 to 147 between the three bikes for the same ride. Would you really expect a 15% difference especially for a couple of bikes that are similar (within 1kg total bike +rider weight).....the bike that has the narrowest frame isnt the one that has the lowest average power that I thought would be the case.

Should I really use the exact same 10 minute ride as a calibration standard for each, or doesnt this matter and a standard 0-100 is enough .... and if yes should it be the same course.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) Switch profile after ride takes you to a different profile. You should not do this with profiles from your other bikes, as the profile is truly customized to each bike

2) 0-100 is all you need to do. You don't have to use the same course
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

The 4th question i missed on getting back to you was this. Twice now i have done a commute to work and back. On the out leg everything was good. On the back leg i woke the sensor, it paired immediately to solid green, but on your app screen on my garmin that shows slope & wind everything was a dash.I rechecked and powerpod still solid green light. In the morning it was showing the data perfectly. I have attached the ride files, as it appears that everything was recorded ok, but on the second ride only power was transmitted to the head unit not the other data. Its the second time exactly the same thing happened so i was a little concerned the device was not working correctly.

On the first ride i was drafting, on the second was a huge headwind and solo before you think thats an error, its not.
Attachments
08_15_2019_0511_35_km.ibr
(234.54 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
08_15_2019_1522_31_km.ibr
(244.76 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you don't see your wind/slope data on the Connect IQ app, make sure your device is on, then turn off your Garmin then turn it back on. This restores the data.

When I use the Connect IQ app, I turn on my PowerPod and get the green light BEFORE I turn on the Garmin.
John Hamann
Wobblydrow

Post by Wobblydrow »

Thanks - i did pair the powerpod before turning on garmin. I will try again if happens again. thanks