Problem Starting PP on today's Ride

texbiker

Problem Starting PP on today's Ride

Post by texbiker »

My PP BLE has worked perfectly for many months but at the start of today's ride after pressing the start button all I got was N/A for power on my Wahoo Elemnt. I looked at the connected sensors on the Elemnt and the speed and cadence showed up but no PP. I pressed the start button again and still no connection.

I went ahead and started the ride thinking the PP would connect but after a few tenths of a mile no connection. I pressed the button a number of times and then the PP must've went into the O&B mode. It counted up to 50, I stopped, pressed the button again and started riding. It counted up to 100 and then went to 0. For a minute or two watts showed on the Elemnt and then the PP went back to counting up from 1 to 50 again. At 50 I stopped and pressed the button again and it went to 100 and back to 0 where it started counting up again. It did this several times and would not stop so I turned it off by pressing the button 5 times. After some time I pressed the button to start the PP again and the O&B started again, repeating several times until I turned it off again and stopped messing with it for the rest of the ride.

Any idea what happened? I don't think I changed my usual startup routine: press the PP button, spin the front wheel to wake the speed sensor, spin the cranks to wake the cadence sensor. By the time I walk from garage to start the ride the Elemnt shows the power at 0, speed at 0 and cadence at 0. I press the Elemnt start ride and within a few seconds power shows up on the Elemnt screen. But not today.

After the ride I connected the PP to Isaac and when it started downloading previous rides it asked if I wanted to save new sensor ID's. At first I said no but the next ride download it asked again and I said yes. After all rides downloaded (not today's though) I checked the sensor ID's and they are same ones from previous checks.

I know there isn't a phone app to see what the active profile is and what it's contents are but it sure would come in handy for times like this. Because I don't have problems I forgot the various color codes for the blinking LED. I guess I am spoiled by the Wahoo Elemnt phone app and settings.
texbiker

Re: Problem Starting PP on today's Ride

Post by texbiker »

Update
The next ride the PP started up like prior times but the watts seemed to be lower. I connected the PP to Isaac before the ride and sent my profile to the PP. During the ride I adjusted the wind port by rotating it slightly higher and the watts increased.

Any comment on the problem and then the PP working more normal??
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I think two things happened:

1) When you were clicking buttons, you put PP into pairing/cal ride mode

2) It sounds like your PP needs a hard reset. Press-hold for 12 sec, until light goes out momentarily then turns back on. Release button

You may need to do a new cal ride (or load in a profile from a prior ride) to restore settings.
John Hamann
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Before following your suggestion I connected the PP to Isaac to download the ride data since the problem last week. No ride data downloaded but my Elemnt connected to the PP during the rides and I have power data in the tcx files. Not sure what happened on that.

I held the PP button down for 12 seconds and then re-connected to Issac, transferred a profile to the PP. I will see how today's ride goes with the PP.
texbiker

Post by texbiker »

Today's bike ride with the reset and profile transferred PP went well. The power readings are back to normal. I attached the ride file from today. The map for the ride can be seen at this link: https://sporttracks.mobi/activity/21597667
Attachments
iBike_06_19_2019_0958_38_Miles.ibr
(456.32 KiB) Downloaded 163 times