Calibration & CdA Data

Steve Oates

Calibration & CdA Data

Post by Steve Oates »

Hi AeroPod Team, how are you?

Had the AeroPod for about 6 weeks now, and so far I haven't been able to get live CdA data and today was the first time (I think) where the calibration ride worked. I have attached two files and I am hoping you can help me with where my issues are.

_03_20 - Today's ride on my TT bike where I believe the calibration ride worked, for some reason there were dashes on my Edge 520 and I didn't see any CdA data when I downloaded the data from the AeroPod into Isaac.

_09_19 - Yesterday's ride on my road bike (different DFPM + GSC10) where I believe the calibration did not work, there were strange numbers in the wind and slope data during the calibration on the same Edge 520 that were not accurate compared to the terrain I was on.

In both files the power data is virtually not there, but on both rides I took my old Edge 500 to record the workouts and all the sensors were transmitting data to that, so I am a bit confused and hoping you can help.

Kind Regards

Steve
Attachments
iBike_09_19_2018_2230_17_Miles_HiDef.ibr
Yesterday's Ride
(452.85 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
iBike_03_20_2019_1021_26_Miles_HiDef.ibr
Today's Ride
(751.56 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Calibration & CdA Data

Post by Velocomp »

There are several problems:

1) Your cadence sensor is operating intermittently. It looks like you have a combined speed/cadence sensor; what kind is it? Make sure your cadence magnet is close enough to the sensor so that the sensor is working. Until your cadence sensor is working properly you are going to have problems...

2) Neither file shows DFPM power. Your profile DOES show a DFPM sensor, but AeroPod is not picking up its signal. What kind of DFPM do you have? I suggest you do a hard reset of AeroPod, then do a new sensor pairing. Hopefully that will fix things (you will need to do a new cal ride).

3) Make sure you are operating on profile 4. In one of your rides you paired a HR strap; that's OK, but in profile 4 you will see CdA data in the HR window. Your unit is showing HR data, which is indicative of being in profile 1-3
John Hamann
Steve Oates

Post by Steve Oates »

Good morning John, how are you?

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it. On my road bike I have a combined speed / cadence sensor (Garmin GSC10) and a Powertap G3 which I purchased in 2012 and on mt time trial bike I have another combined speed / cadence sensor (Garmin GSC10) and Powertap P1 pedals which I purchased in 2017.

I followed your instructions below and took the AeroPod out on my road bike, where I discovered that the speed sensor was giving wildly erratic readings which it had never done before on the Turbo, although it is 6.5 years old! The good news is that the AeroPod was showing live CdA data, although it did not prompt me for a calibration ride and showed some different light patterns (Solid green and flashing red) after switching it on.

I have verified that the speed / cadence sensor on my time trial bike is working properly and will take the AeroPod out again early next week and hopefully everything is smooth.

Kind Regards

Steve
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Steve: be aware that old Garmin GSC-10 sensors sometimes work, sometimes not; it depends on how old they are.

Post some ride files when you've got them. You may have to get a new speed sensor (the new Garmin magnet less ones are great)
John Hamann
Steve Oates

Post by Steve Oates »

Hello Josh, how are you?

I haven't been out on my bike on the road for quite some time now, so I went out today with the AeroPod to see if I can get across the line. The AeroPod was attached to my road bike which has a Powertap G3 which also has an internal speed sensor (I got rid of the old GSC10). I turned it on while I was riding and it went solid yellow quite quickly then after a little while went out, I pushed the button maybe a minute later and it went solid green then went out. I turned on the Garmin and it was displaying live data, the wind speed and slope looked genuine, there was no time adv (I'm assuming as it didn't prompt me for the calibration ride) and the CdA was ballpark'ish, certainly too good for me being on the hoods between 0.26 and 0.30.

I was expecting it to prompt me for the calibration ride, flashing yellow but it didn't do that or do I need to wait a bit longer after the light has gone out? When I got back there was no ride data on the AeroPod, so not sure what is going on there, this only happened since the hard reset I did a couple of months ago.

Kind Regards - Steve
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please upload a .ibr ride file from Isaac and I will help you figure out what is going on.
John Hamann
Steve Oates

Post by Steve Oates »

Hi Josh, how are you and how was your weekend?

As I mentioned above there is no .ibr file as when I got back nothing had saved, this has been the case since the hard reset in March.

Kind Regards

Steve
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.

John
John Hamann
Steve Oates

Post by Steve Oates »

Hi John, how are you?

Firstly my sincere apologies as I have been calling you Josh in the last few responses, so I am very sorry.

I got an email back from Tom and read into it a little bit, update the firmware as it was 7.03 and yesterday I updated it to 7.06. I went out for a ride yesterday on my road bike to a relatively calm road, turned on the AeroPod and it seemed to be flashing as expected (red/green) ready to click and start the calibration ride, I waited for 30 seconds or so for the traffic to pass and by that time it was flashing red despite being fully charged. I turned it off and on a few times and it wouldn't prompt for a calibration ride.

Today I resent the profile to the device thinking that it would prompt me for the calibration ride and it just went solid yellow, then went out, then when I pushed the button it turned green and went out. I have attached the ibr file, it would be great if you could talk me through how you are troubleshooting this as i am cognizant that I am taking up quite a lot of your time trying to get this to work.

Kind Regards, Steve
Attachments
iBike_05_15_2019_1535_2_Miles.ibr
(32.2 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Steve Oates

Post by Steve Oates »

Hi John, how are you?

I took the AeroPod out yesterday for the first time in a long time. I had updated the firmware previously and also created a new profile in profile 4 and sent it to the device. Once I switched it on, the green lights flashed about 25 times, then went out - and after pushing it again it flashed green several times then went out. Afterwards, the AeroPod did not record any data. Are you able to help me to get the AeroPod working?

Kind Regards

Steve
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We now have FW 709, which should correct your flashing green light problem. If you're running Isaac Windows you can get it through the FW update screen; if you're running on a Mac, email technicalsupport@velocomp.com and Tom will provide it to you.
John Hamann