AeroPod beta firmware

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

AeroPod beta firmware

Post by Velocomp »

We have beta firmware available for AeroPod. It does the following:

1) Corrects a possible issue with AeroPod start-of-ride AeroPod pairing process.

2) Changes the operation of the Garmin/Raptor “lap marker” function. When laps are marked, AeroPod transmits the cumulative average CdA for the lap just completed. After the lap marker is placed the previous-lap CdA is shown for about 10 seconds; then, the CdA goes “live” again

3) Lap markers are recorded in AeroPod ride file, facilitating easer post-ride analysis

4) Whenever a lap marker is placed, Time Advantage is reset to zero, allowing users to understand their Time Advantage gain/loss for the current, new lap

5) Whenever a lap marker is placed, live CdA reported is based on current measurements (in older FW, whenever a lap marker was placed, CdA was reset to the default value, then slowly migrating to current value)

6) Whenever bike speed is zero, wind speed is zero. This resolves an issue with incorrect, non-zero wind speed measurements transmitted when AeroPod is at rest

7) Live CdA and Time Advantage information is transmitted ONLY in profile 4. Wind speed and slope are also transmitted in profile 4

8) Wind speed and slope information are now transmitted in profiles 1, 2 and 3. For profiles 1-3, Default CdA is shown, and Time Advantage is held at zero.

If you have an interest in testing this firmware, please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann
DavidTriska

Re: AeroPod beta firmware

Post by DavidTriska »

Hi John,

Features 2 (lap Cda summary) and 5 are excellent, I really enjoyed that feature in Newton beta. 3. also makes test run analysis a lot easier. Thanks!!
roadrunner

Post by roadrunner »

Sounds great, awesome work! Looking forward to this being implemented.

Thinking that in the released versoin, maybe the heart rate will also be disabled in profile 4? (as discussed in another thread)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, we will be recording CdA data always in profile 4, irrespective of HR strap pairing.
John Hamann
Graham

Post by Graham »

I rode with the beta firmware at the weekend
Pairing with bike sensors was fine and now I've done it a few times it is really simply and straight forward once you get to know the sequence.
I used a different piece of road then on my 2 previous rides with AeroPod due to road works on that piece of road, the road surface is not as good and it was a blustery day as the weather is not great this time of year in the UK
My cal ride - Zero to 50 as expected, as was 50 to 70, but 70 to 100 seemed to take an age, I had to change my position twice and slow down at 2 road junctions as did not have enough continuous road to complete the calibration.
After the cal ride I was not seeing correct power readings from my DFPM(SRM), if fact they were mainly zero's.
I thought this might have something to do with the fact that I had not calibrated my DFPM with my Garmin as I usually do each ride because I had disabled my DFPM in my Garmin so it would only pair with the AeroPod.
I enabled the DFPM on my Garmin, calibrated it, saw realistic power values and disabled it again on the Garmin.
I re-paired AeroPod with my sensors and did another cal ride which took about the same distance to complete with the 2 road junctions in the 70 to 100 section.
After Aeropod reached 100 I again I did not see realistic power values and as before I saw mainly zero's.
I pressed the lap button on my Garmin and the power readings instantly came good seeing realistic values.
I road back to the piece of road where I intended to ride up and down to get some CdA data. The piece of road was just under a mile long and I did not change any equipment or my position on the bike (TT bike on aero extension bars)
I inserted lap makers going west to east and east to west excluding turnaround
I seem to have an extra lap marker inserted mid way on the east to west runs 2 to 4, I did not press the lap button on my Garmin and I have no extra laps in my Garmin data.
I have used the "Selection Stats" for each lap for avg HR then used (HR*4)/1000 to get avg CdA for each lap

West to East 0.66miles
1 0.236
2 0.223
3 0.228
4 0.237

East to West 0.74 miles
1 0.240
2a (0.27 miles) 0.207
2b (0.46 miles) 0.241
3a (0.27 miles) 0.250
3b (0.47 miles) 0.260
4a (0.24 miles) 0.251
4b (0.49 miles) 0.255

My take on this is
1 Was the cal ride effected by the 2 road junctions?
2 There still seem be be some sort of issue with my SRM & Aeropod link, as I have stated before my SRM has always performed faultlessly I know this does not mean it will always. But when I pressed the lap button on the Garmin I got power values, don't see how this could effect how the power data is being transmitted from the SRM?
3 My aim of the ride was to get consistent CdA values for the 2 directions but I did not. I realise the length of road and weather my have hampered this?

I can't see me getting out to do more testing shortly as the weather is wet and windy in the UK now and I think I need good stable weather conditions to find the small aero gains I am looking for in my TT setup.
Graham
Attachments
iBike_12_02_2018_1217_2_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(96.96 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
iBike_12_02_2018_1235_2_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(49.62 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
iBike_12_02_2018_1241_13_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(544.69 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Graham

Post by Graham »

Attached is gpx file and first part of first cal ride
Attachments
AeroPod_3rdtest.zip
(64.43 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
iBike_12_02_2018_1211_2_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(49.22 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Graham

Post by Graham »

one other question
The extra lap Markers inserted ?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I think what is happening here is that your course only about 1 mile. While that is fine, each time you turn around some of the "turnaround" data gets stuffed into your CdA computations. Effectively, this both shortens the course even more, down to a length that is pretty small, and puts some extraneous data into the computations.

Your total out-and-back test time is about 6 minutes, of which about 1 ½ minutes are spent in the turn at the west end, and about 30 seconds at the east end. That does not leave much time left for data gathering...

In rides this short it doesn't make sense to compare the "out" data to "back" data. The out-and-back is pretty close, though even that is compromised somewhat by the turnarounds.
John Hamann
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks for the reply John, If you could also clarify the following please

1, Is my cal ride OK with the interruption by road junctions ?
2, Any idea what is going on with the communication between my SRM PM and AeroPod ?
4, The extra lap marker that has been inserted into the ibr file?

Graham
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1. Cal ride looked fine.

2. I looked at your raw data and can't see anything that would cause SRM data to drop out. I will ask our firmware developer. Do you remember anything that you might have done to cause it to reconnect? It looks like you might have turned around...

3. Where is the extra lap marker to which you are referring?
John Hamann
Graham

Post by Graham »

I pressed the lap button on my Garmin and the SRM reconnected

The extra lap markers are at 7.9 miles, 9.9 miles and 12 miles where I did not press the lap button on my Garmin and when viewing the data on Garmin Connect there is no extra lap markers
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

Hi John,

Will this firmware soon be released as non-beta? Very interested in the functionality!

Morten