New Front Mount

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

New Front Mount

Post by Velocomp »

Here is the front mount that's good enough to work with your iBike Newton!

Machined from aluminum, this mount is extremely strong and puts your iBike at the front of the action.

The Front Mount will ship on May 15. You can order it here:

http://store.ibikesports.com/ibike-newt ... ships-4-30
Attachments
FrontMountSolo.JPG
FrontMountSolo.JPG (3.62 MiB) Viewed 480173 times
FrontMountrearside.JPG
FrontMountrearside.JPG (4.04 MiB) Viewed 480156 times
John Hamann
pajobv

Re: New Front Mount

Post by pajobv »

Is there or will there a 35 mm front mount available, i have an Deda M35 handle-bar
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The Front Mount attaches to handlebars that are 31.8mm diameter, and won't work with a 35mm handlebar.

We don't have plans in the near-term to manufacture a 35mm version.
John Hamann
phelgar

Post by phelgar »

I have every attachment developed for the iBike and this one is the best by far! I like the fact that the stem angle is taken out of play without comprising handlebar space. The only trivial issue is that the screw placement to hold the unit to the handlebar is from below as opposed to above which helps hold the screw in place while tightening. The price, though appropriate, is a little higher than expected. I am sure this is due to the fact that it has more parts and machine work than a similar Garmin up front. There is no chance that this device will loose its grip over time.
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Is this a recommended item for bikes that see a lot of rough dirt roads? Or is they worry of rough roads messing with the data a thing of the past with the Newton? Thank you.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The front mount should work just fine on rough roads. But if you want the ultimate, stiff front mount solution, wait a bit longer...we have something coming that is bombproof.
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Oohhhh. Sounds exciting.
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Hi John:

I am also curious about the new front mount! Can you tell us any news on how it's going? I saw something on Womo design and was wondering if it's going to be like that (double mount on both sides of the stem).

George.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GeorgeHotopan wrote:Hi John:

I am also curious about the new front mount! Can you tell us any news on how it's going? I saw something on Womo design and was wondering if it's going to be like that (double mount on both sides of the stem).

George.
All three front mounts are all available; check them out at the iBike Store!
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Groan. I ordered a new mount on the 15th and it is still in the "awaiting fulfillment" status.
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Velocomp wrote:

George.

That's great John! Can you give me an estimate of how long would it take (approx.) to receive a Newton solo front mount in Spain?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GeorgeHotopan wrote:
Velocomp wrote:

George.

That's great John! Can you give me an estimate of how long would it take (approx.) to receive a Newton solo front mount in Spain?
About one week after ordering.
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Thank you John!

One last question: can anyone tell me how does the front mount (1 arm) compare to the solo front mount (2 arms) in terms of stiffness?

I use a road bike (Ribble R872) and in my region the roads are in pretty good condition (good slick asphalt). I ask because I have the possibility of buying the front mount (1 arm) from an authorised dealer (BIKEINN) and have it home in two days. Unfortunately, they do not have yet the new solo front mont (2 arms).

Waiting for your feedback!

George.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GeorgeHotopan wrote:Thank you John!

One last question: can anyone tell me how does the front mount (1 arm) compare to the solo front mount (2 arms) in terms of stiffness?

I use a road bike (Ribble R872) and in my region the roads are in pretty good condition (good slick asphalt). I ask because I have the possibility of buying the front mount (1 arm) from an authorised dealer (BIKEINN) and have it home in two days. Unfortunately, they do not have yet the new solo front mont (2 arms).

Waiting for your feedback!

George.
Unless your roads are made of chip seal, the 1 arm mount should do just fine.

That said, I ride with the Solo mount, which is pretty much invincible.
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I'm throwing a flag on this play. I live in TN, it's been a week and mine hasn't even been picked off a shelf yet, but he lives in Spain and he gets his in a week? WTF?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jazclrint wrote:I'm throwing a flag on this play. I live in TN, it's been a week and mine hasn't even been picked off a shelf yet, but he lives in Spain and he gets his in a week?
Our Europe distributor has local stock of the one-arm mount. No one, including us, has in-stock two arm mounts; they are on order from the manufacturer and we expect to receive them any day now.

Patience...
John Hamann
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

jazclrint wrote:I'm throwing a flag on this play. I live in TN, it's been a week and mine hasn't even been picked off a shelf yet, but he lives in Spain and he gets his in a week? WTF?
I'm gonna back-up John on this. The European distributor has the one-arm front mount in stock, reason why I opted to buy it straight from the dealer, so I got it delivered in two days (arrived today). What a piece of engineering it is, superbly machined!

And by the way "jazclrint", and with no disrespect, I think there is really no need for that tone, even though I could understand it!

Kind regards,

George.
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

I didn't think my tone was that out of line, but every time I have ordered something from these folks its taken an exceptionally long time to receive it. In day of age any other website would have said they weren't in stock and it would be over a week before they were in stock. Also, I could have ordered it from the manufacturer's site but ordered it from Velocomp so they'd get something for it. Also, I work out to sea on a 5 week out, 5 week home rotation. So not only is this the second time it's taken too long to just get it out the door, it's the second time I'll receive a product mere days before I leave.

I do my best to promote the iBike in my area (part time mechanic and local MTB club officer), but I can't get anyone to give it a try. I even left it in the shop with the owner with a mount to try the last time I was out to sea, and let the local road club pres know. Neither of them bothered with it. So as I use this, and fight with keeping all of my profiles straight between the Newton and Issac (I already have 5 or six) I will use it and appreciate that I can go from bike to bike with it, but only once I have everything dialed in. Not to mention the nicely made single arm mount. Both of the ones I got were not straight, and so I had to loosen where the Newton mount sits up enough to turn it straight, and then tighten it down. Which for something that cost me as much as it did shouldn't happen. But it's a small company, so you give the benefit of doubt, right? Well this now makes the knob so close to the mount that it rubs and interferes and make taking it on and off the road bike a real PITA. The dual mount I have on the MTB is nice, and the other single arm mount doesn't seem to have the same issue, but I haven't used it that much either.

But long story short, no, you don't understand my level of frustration. There are very few of the cyclists in this area that are real tinkerers. I can recommend this product to tinkerers, but I don't need people showing up to my shop and yelling at me, or being cursed out by my bike shop boss after 5 weeks at sea because he got cursed out by a customer and he doesn't know anything about the product. Yeah, I'm not going there.

On other news, the new mount did ship today.
GeorgeHotopan

Post by GeorgeHotopan »

Hi there jazclrint:

As I earlier on said: I'm not being disrespectful, and now I can understand your frustration (corroborated in part with the limited free spare time you have at disposal). But this is in part a very subjective matter anyway, which depends from individual to individual.

Nevertheless though, the mount I have received from the European distributor is in mint condition straight out of the box, nothing is bent at first glance and I attached the iBike to it and went in and out perfectly smooth. The angle at the braze-on mechanism is the same as the angle at the metal piece on which the Newton is mounted (checked it using a digital bubble caliber). Moreover, it's very easy to adjust the angle of the metal piece the Newton attaches to....it gives you a preety decent range of angle variation. And by the way they do not make the mount, they are made as you would probably know by K-Edge (a giant in this field). So anything that ships from their factories should be inspected prior to do that. But this is why in the manufacturing industry and any other industry they have the tolerances and yield figures, just for cases like that, so apparently your mount falls into that small percentage of error. But for that I don't believe iBike is to be blaimed. And with this, one might think about it already so I'm going to be straight, NO I have nothing to do with iBike, I am no representative, nor commercial nor intending to be one: I am just an RF engineer with a passion called cycling. Having a working field more or less related with all that is behind the iBike, I opted to buy one (still haven't calibrated it yet due to bad weather).

And regarding "I don't need people showing up to my shop and yelling at me, or being cursed out by my bike shop boss after 5 weeks at sea because he got cursed out by a customer and he doesn't know anything about the product." ...what can I say....maybe then running a cycling shop is not the way to go. It is a business in which a seller serves services to a customer(like any other public service), it's part of the job one has to do. If your boss curses you about being cursed by clients, then he might have a problem and have to rethink if this is the business he wants...

With that I am finished and I hope next time you get back from sea you can enjoy more cycling, it's what it's ment for.

Kind regards,

George.
nsidirop

Post by nsidirop »

Are there any plans to release a front mount that is compatible with flat "aero like" bars that come with more aero race bikes such as the Specialized Venge?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

nsidirop wrote:Are there any plans to release a front mount that is compatible with flat "aero like" bars that come with more aero race bikes such as the Specialized Venge?
We don't manufacture the front mount so we are dependent on companies who design them. Unfortunately, unless there are some standards agreed to for these aero bars, I don't see many companies getting involved with them. The volumes are too small.
John Hamann
cat5fred

Post by cat5fred »

nsidirop wrote:Are there any plans to release a front mount that is compatible with flat "aero like" bars that come with more aero race bikes such as the Specialized Venge?
Or the Zipp Vuka drop handlebars. The stiff front mount doesn't fit it.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sadly,
cat5fred wrote:
Or the Zipp Vuka drop handlebars. The stiff front mount doesn't fit it.
Sadly, this illustrates the problem. From the Zipp site:

"Note: Production of the Zipp Vuka Sprint aero road bar stopped in February 2014. Zipp will continue to provide ongoing support for this product through our normal sales/service channels.

See the Zipp SL-70 Aero as an alternative improved product."

For the Alberto Contador team we have developed a front mount for Newton that works with a Look stem and aero bars. If you use this stem it would possibly work with your aero handlebars.
Attachments
front mount for Look aero stem and bars
front mount for Look aero stem and bars
IMG_5035.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 475242 times
John Hamann
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

my one and only complaint with the out front mount is the space that is around the knurled screw to tighten the unit to the mount, I have small hands and it is a real pain to undo it... on the other hand you can use a screw driver but it would be nice if the design allowed more space around the screw or a longer head to the screw?
JamesB

one arm front mount

Post by JamesB »

What happened to the old one armed front mount?
I went to the store to buy one and I can no longer find this item…

thanks

James
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We still have a few available. email tgore@velocomp.com for details.
John Hamann
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Hi,

I am wondering whether to buy the two armed solo front mount for my third bike. What I could not figure out when I checked the pictures about it is whether I can set the angle between the arms or not. My third bike has a special twin J bars, so the angle of the bars is less than 180 degrees.

Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No, you cannot adjust the angle between the arms.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Looking for Newton Front Mount

Post by texmurphy »

Sadly these are no longer for sale and I have not seen any on eBay.
If you are no longer using a Newton but still have the "New Front Mount for Newton" I would be interested in purchase.

Velocomp wrote: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:54 am Here is the front mount that's good enough to work with your iBike Newton!
Machined from aluminum, this mount is extremely strong and puts your iBike at the front of the action.
The Front Mount will ship on May 15. You can order it here:
http://store.ibikesports.com/ibike-newt ... ships-4-30
Zoltan

Post by Zoltan »

Tex, are you looking for only a front mount? Dual mounts are excluded? As I can see the latter are not sold in the US, but I spotted a European site recently where it was still listed.