Aeropod turns off in long descends

speedyvelo

Aeropod turns off in long descends

Post by speedyvelo »

Problem: in long downhills if I do not pedal the AP seems to turn itself off.

In the ride I attach had both the AP (as power meter) and the Garmin Vector 3. The Garmin headset had the Garmin visible. Of course the AP was turn on but not visible in the head set. This downhills is long (time wise) because the road is in very bad shape. I barely move the pedals.
The distance was 70 miles + and you can see it was recorder on the Garmin (tcx) with the power from the Vector 3. When I load the file into Isaac the file name includes the correct length but the graphics do not

My interpretation: AP use the cadence to signal when the power is zero. So if I do not pedal the power is zero which is correct, but if power is zero for a long time (10 minutes?) then it switches off. If that is the case the way to correct it would be to AND or OR the speed sensor and power to turn AP off, so while speed sensor is moving the AP should stay on.

It is amazing how accurate the AP is when use as power meter. When you compare both the AP and the Vector 3 there is not difference. BTW the Power stroke and Garmin Cycling Dynamics showed basically the same biomechanics. Yes I know they measure different parameters, however the conclusions of what to be change to smooth pedaling are similar. That is great.

-=terry=-
Attachments
5405961963.zip
Garmin fit file of the ride. I tried to attach the tcx file but it was too large and not accepted. Also tried to attach the gpx file and the extension was not allowed.
(671.31 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
iBike_08_18_2020_0829_72_Miles_HiDef.ibr
The name has the correct distance (72 miles) but the display is 30+ miles.
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Aeropod turns off in long descends

Post by Velocomp »

Has this problem happened more than one time?

Zero speed, not zero cadence, for 10 minutes or longer, should cause the unit to turn off. Zero cadence for extended periods of time should have no effect.
John Hamann
speedyvelo

Re: Aeropod turns off in long descends

Post by speedyvelo »

:>Has this problem happened more than one time?

Not the same. If I have a long downhill, then I start to pedal, the power does not shows up and it may stake few minutes before is restore, occasionally I have to press the AP and then restart. Of course I have change batteries in both speed and cadence. It might have happened with 2 bikes with different sensors but....I am not sure here. Of course in these previous cases I realized of the problem and somehow I fixed.
I attach the fit file because there everything was OK of course with the Vector. I did not realized of this problem until I upload the file to Isaac.

BTW, except in these long descends without pedaling I have not seen any other problems. So most of the rides the AP working as powermeter works just perfect.

-=terry=-

John, the two variables that are involved to produce this abnormal reading are : cadence zero and power zero. Of course zero power is real, I am not pedaling. That's why I was wondering if power zero for a long time or cadence zero for a long time are someway involved.