CSV wrt IBR format

ted.kelly

CSV wrt IBR format

Post by ted.kelly »

It looks like exporting AeroPod ride data from Issac in CSV format produces 1Hz data, and that data does not include accelerometer data.
I gather the IBR format files Issac downloads from AeroPod include 16Hz accelerometer data (if powerstroke is on).
Is there some way to export the accelerometer data?
Is documentation for the IBR file format available?
I understand that IBR format is proprietary, but so is MathWorks *.mat file format and they provide format documentation.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: CSV wrt IBR format

Post by Velocomp »

If .mat file format is documented publicly then how is its format proprietary?

Our format is proprietary and we have not made it available.

To get raw sensor data you'll need to record in PowerStroke mode. If you send me your ride files I will send back .csv with accelerometer and wind sensor data.
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

From https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digita ... 0440.shtml
"A Level 5 MAT-File is an openly documented, but proprietary, binary data container format used by MATLAB software from MathWorks."
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_format
" A proprietary format can also be a file format whose encoding is in fact published, but is restricted through licences such that only the company itself or licencees may use it."
I presume MathWorks finds that publishing the .mat file format facilitates some small fraction of their customer base's use of Matlab and thereby improves rather than detracts from MathWorks's revenue stream.
I don't see how publishing their IBR file format would harm Velocomp, but they/you are in a better position to judge that, and the decision is of course Velocomp's.

Thanks for offering to convert IBR files to CSV files with accelerometer and wind sensor data for me, but I don't think that is a reasonable work flow for either of us. Is there any chance Velocomp could/would provide an ibr to csv (including accelerometer and wind sensor data) conversion tool Velocomp's customers could use to access their data?
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

While we are at it, probably should be including both pressure sensors (i.e. wind/dynamic and barometric/static).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ted.kelly wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:31 pm From https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digita ... 0440.shtml
"A Level 5 MAT-File is an openly documented, but proprietary, binary data container format used by MATLAB software from MathWorks."
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_format
" A proprietary format can also be a file format whose encoding is in fact published, but is restricted through licences such that only the company itself or licencees may use it."
I presume MathWorks finds that publishing the .mat file format facilitates some small fraction of their customer base's use of Matlab and thereby improves rather than detracts from MathWorks's revenue stream.
I don't see how publishing their IBR file format would harm Velocomp, but they/you are in a better position to judge that, and the decision is of course Velocomp's.

Thanks for offering to convert IBR files to CSV files with accelerometer and wind sensor data for me, but I don't think that is a reasonable work flow for either of us. Is there any chance Velocomp could/would provide an ibr to csv (including accelerometer and wind sensor data) conversion tool Velocomp's customers could use to access their data?
If you are willing to sign an NDA there is a possibility.
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

I respect Velocomp's right to control their IP as they see fit, and I am willing to sign an NDA.

However before putting you through that trouble, I think I should get as far as I can working with what is available in the CSV files Issac currently exports. Then if my results are promising and pursuing access to raw sensor data is warranted we can revisit the matter.

Since I am a dilettante amateur, haven't done any data processing and modeling code development in a couple years, and need to set up an appropriate environment on my computer before before I can make real progress, it will likely take me a while to get there.

In the mean time I will post any interesting results here.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ted.kelly wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:15 pm I respect Velocomp's right to control their IP as they see fit, and I am willing to sign an NDA.

However before putting you through that trouble, I think I should get as far as I can working with what is available in the CSV files Issac currently exports. Then if my results are promising and pursuing access to raw sensor data is warranted we can revisit the matter.

Since I am a dilettante amateur, haven't done any data processing and modeling code development in a couple years, and need to set up an appropriate environment on my computer before before I can make real progress, it will likely take me a while to get there.

In the mean time I will post any interesting results here.
Send me one .ibr ride file recorded in PowerStroke mode and I will email back the associated csv file. That will give you something to work on!
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

WILCO