Exporting DFPM and wind speed data

nutshell

Exporting DFPM and wind speed data

Post by nutshell »

I was really hoping to be able to do this, and here's why ....

I've been using AeroLab for years. I ride a traffic free dedicated cycling circuit for my aero tests. The undulations every lap give me a good pictorial view for lining up traces and seeing and spurious data. See attached example (that's SRM data via a PC8 with a rear wheel speed sensor).

Last year I did a set of tests and got one result that was obliviously an outlier. Looking at the data it was clear that I had a bit of tail wind down a straight but I was not getting the corresponding head wind on the other side of the track (sheltered by trees / bushes). I manually (painstakingly) adjusted the speed for the tail wind sections of the test laps, and hey presto the CdA came back to what it should have been.

So I figured I'd get an AeroPod as that would give me wind speed data that I could use and / or compare to ground speed data. I undertaken a series of test session in the past 10 days. Data all looks good but when it comes to exporting the .txc file it contains ground speed from the wheel sensor.

I will try pairing / calibrating and then taking the wheel sensor off but I suspect that is either going to result in no speed or just no data at all.

Anybody got a solution for exporting DFPM data and wind speed please?

Incidentally on Zwift I am FloatAero (Rob). My aero blog is FloatAero.

Thanks Rob
Attachments
Screenshot (616).png
Screenshot (616).png (91.96 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
texbiker

Re: Exporting DFPM and wind speed data

Post by texbiker »

Have you tried exporting a csv file from Isaac?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

texbiker wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 am Have you tried exporting a csv file from Isaac?
csv file does have wind speed data in it.
John Hamann
nutshell

Post by nutshell »

That's the one thing I haven't tried ..... and it works. I just need to see how that file import into GC or if I have to frig around with it.

Isaac on my desk top PC seems to "lose" some AeroPod files. I've not figured that out yet.

I see there is an air density recorded there too. Is that as measured real time by the AeroPod? I usually use a Kestrel 5100 on site to record Rho and then cross-check with an airport weather station a bout four miles from my test track.

Thanks Rob
nutshell

Post by nutshell »

... and it brings weight, Rho and Crr estimates with the file into GC.

I can start having some fun now ..... testing this bike with ENVE front end against 3T Ventus II front end.

Track I test on is Hillingdon Cycle Circuit, Springfield Road, Hayes.

I use the shorter loop, missing out the hair pin and the short sharp climb, about 1km per lap. I do seven laps and use the middle five laps.

Thanks Rob
Attachments
190515 11 lap TT 04 A.jpg
190515 11 lap TT 04 A.jpg (114.14 KiB) Viewed 5334 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

That looks scary-fast.
John Hamann
nutshell

Post by nutshell »

Well it would be if I wasn't 69 and could put out more than 190 watts for 30 minutes :-) Best I can do for a 25TT on a flat course is around 60 minutes these days.

One other question. Will the data be "good" if the AeroPod is mounted upside down?

I think the answer is yes as I had the AeroPod mounted upside down last week.

Just wondering if this will confuse the accelerometer logic when it comes to gradients?

Currently got it on the base bar above the brake lever with the tube out front. I had it on the bridge between the risers last week. I think that was OK going into the wind but it wasn't so good riding down wind as my body was in the way of any rear airflow.

Cheers Rob