the first 5 minutes of any new ride are critical

Patspeedy

the first 5 minutes of any new ride are critical

Post by Patspeedy »

As a newbie I am only getting to grips with AP so sorry if this question has been covered before

Question is after the calibration ride has been stored on a previous day ,what is classed as (the first 5 minutes of any new ride are critical) if I stop for 15mins to alter bike every so often on same day and ride again testing does the 5mins have to be done again every break or only at start of every a days session of testing ??? Thanks in advance
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: the first 5 minutes of any new ride are critical

Post by Velocomp »

Whenever a new ride file is started, for the first 5 minutes after the new ride the accelerometer calibration is checked.

In general, a new ride file is started whenever the unit goes to sleep. Going to sleep happens when the device does not see speed signals for an extended period of time, about 12 minutes, AND you don't click its button (to keep it awake). If you click its button the 12 minute "turn-off clock" is reset

If you stop for 15 minutes and don't click your AP button it's likely that your unit has gone to sleep. You will need to ride 5 minutes to recalibrate the accelerometer, and you'll see two ride files...

If you want to avoid this potential problem, periodically click your AP button during your rest break.
John Hamann
Patspeedy

Post by Patspeedy »

Thank you for a quick and clearly explained information much appreciated , do you think in a future update that it would be possible to select a users own sleep time as that would be very useful to a lot of people ??
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Any time a feature is added or changed, the people who want it will be delighted...and everyone else will be confused. :D

We have had the "off/ride reset" feature in place for about 5 years now. This is the first time we've been asked to modify it. We will keep track of any other requests.
John Hamann
speedyvelo

Post by speedyvelo »

> If you click its button the 12 minute "turn-off clock" is reset

John,

The PP is 20 minutes and I often reset it if I am in a break. Is this 12 minutes for the AP different or just a typo?
Is 12 minutes when we are using Profile 4 and 20minutes for profiles 1,2, 3 or just 12 minutes for the AP in any profile?

-=terry=-
WilsonT

Post by WilsonT »

Hi John,

Two related questions here:
1) Is there any way to re-use the previous ride's calibration if the aeropod hasn't been moved at all? (ie. it turns off during a coffee stop and we just want to start riding again)
2) In the 5 minutes of riding, is it 5 minutes, regardless of speed? ie, could I ride around the block (which is square with corners..) very very slowly and take the corners *very* slowly (without braking), and it'll be OK?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

WilsonT wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:35 am Hi John,

Two related questions here:
1) Is there any way to re-use the previous ride's calibration if the aeropod hasn't been moved at all? (ie. it turns off during a coffee stop and we just want to start riding again)
2) In the 5 minutes of riding, is it 5 minutes, regardless of speed? ie, could I ride around the block (which is square with corners..) very very slowly and take the corners *very* slowly (without braking), and it'll be OK?
1) If you don't want the 5 minute period to restart, just click your AP button every 5 minutes or so. That will keep it turned on

2) It's not a good idea to have sharp turns during the warmup period. AP is rechecking slope during the 5 minutes, and if you make sharp turns that will skew the slope readings.
John Hamann
WilsonT

Post by WilsonT »

OK; but how about if I ride very very slowly for 5 minutes? Is there a minimum speed? I'm asking because where I live, unless I go ride around a running track, there's no sections of road I can ride on for 5 minutes without stopping for lights (unless I ride very slowly...like 10kph)
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...one of the things I love about our forum is that real people present real situations that we don't imagine! :D

Actually, I think you CAN ride very slowly for 5 minutes. And if you ride a bit faster and have to stop...let's take the risk! Please post a ride file and we will see what your adventurous experiment yields.
John Hamann
WilsonT

Post by WilsonT »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm Actually, I think you CAN ride very slowly for 5 minutes. And if you ride a bit faster and have to stop...let's take the risk! Please post a ride file and we will see what your adventurous experiment yields.
All right, I just gave it a try today for my commute!
The first and second rides, I started the Aeropod when I got into a relatively straight road, but I got stopped by lights within the 5 minutes (3 times in the first ride!!) and had to hit the brakes. Not ideal of course, but they're data points for you to look at :P

The third ride was after I got home from my commute, and I attempted to ride *very* slowly around the block, but I got foiled by a slight downhill which forced me to corner at a fairly high speed, and then towards the end of the 5 minutes, when a family of kids riding their bikes crossed my path, and I had to hit the brakes... Again, not ideal, but, another data point! I'll try to get something slightly more ideal another day.
Attachments
iBike_08_26_2019_1708_2_km.ibr
(23.18 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
iBike_08_26_2019_1626_15_km.ibr
(155.17 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
iBike_08_26_2019_0639_14_km.ibr
(132.31 KiB) Downloaded 204 times