aeropod mount for trek speed concept 9.9 and inconsistent results

gte534j

aeropod mount for trek speed concept 9.9 and inconsistent results

Post by gte534j »

Hi,
I was doing a few out and back test rides yesterday and was not getting consitent CdA results when i was riding over the same segment a few times.
I think its because of the way I mounted the aeropod to the trek speed concept. I used a gopro mount adhseive to the bottom of the stem. See a few photos below:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianspivac ... 8433186285
Does anyone think that this is a poor way to mount the aeropod and is causing problems? Maybe the adhesive mount is not firm enough because of the flex in the adhesive tape?
if so, what other mounting options do I have for the trek speed concept 9.9?
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... t/p/22054/
Thanks,
Ian
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: aeropod mount for trek speed concept 9.9 and inconsistent results

Post by Velocomp »

I think the issue here is WHERE you have attached the AeroPod.

The GoPro mount is intended to be attached beneath one of the flat handlebars--not in the middle, as you have.

We have seen zero problems with AeroPod attached underneath the flat handlebars. I would move the mount and try again.
Attachments
image003.jpg
image003.jpg (192.17 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (198.81 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
John Hamann
gte534j

Post by gte534j »

awesome- thanks for the photos and advice. will do that!
gte534j

Post by gte534j »

Thanks. I setup the speed concept with the aeropod mounted to the base bar.

I finally got a chance to do some more testing and had a few questions

Are you recommending to record 6 min of data per test configuration (like different helmets) and then go analyze the data on Isaac?
The reason i am asking is because when using my garmin edge 1030 -CdA is not converging around a value. I was expecting the edge to show a relatively steady CdA after 90 sec but the value does not become steady and does not float around a specific CdA
Also what is the maximum recommended wind allowed during testing to get good results? Would 10 mph winds cause too much noise? I had a section of the test where the headwind varied between 0 to 10 mph and my CdA seemed to vary proportionally to wind.
Similar question also what min power is recommended? Over 200w?
Thanks
Ian
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

gte534j wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 pm Thanks. I setup the speed concept with the aeropod mounted to the base bar.

I finally got a chance to do some more testing and had a few questions

Are you recommending to record 6 min of data per test configuration (like different helmets) and then go analyze the data on Isaac?
The reason i am asking is because when using my garmin edge 1030 -CdA is not converging around a value. I was expecting the edge to show a relatively steady CdA after 90 sec but the value does not become steady and does not float around a specific CdA
Also what is the maximum recommended wind allowed during testing to get good results? Would 10 mph winds cause too much noise? I had a section of the test where the headwind varied between 0 to 10 mph and my CdA seemed to vary proportionally to wind.
Similar question also what min power is recommended? Over 200w?
Thanks
Ian
Please post a .ibr ride file and I will take a look.
John Hamann