Workflow for analyzing a file

BillOsler

Workflow for analyzing a file

Post by BillOsler »

Calibration rides are ideally done on relatively flat courses so rider weight does not enter into the calibration. On the other hand real-world loops generally have some climbing and weight does become an issue.
If I calibrate the Aeropod in the field and then proceed with CdA testing the ride file I download from the Aeropod will not necessarily have the correct date.
Knowing that the weight is important ... but not part of the calibration process ... what is the suggested work flow for adding/updating the weight values?
Is it best done immediately after the calibration ride, prior to CdA testing?
Is it best done afterwards in Isaac?
Something else?
From a user perspective the least "user friendly" option would be to do the calibration ride, tweak the profile in Isaac and then do the CdA testing.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Workflow for analyzing a file

Post by Velocomp »

1. The most important thing in calibration rides is not their flatness, but the minimization of turns and sprints/braking. Smooth is best practice.

2. If you set date/time before leaving for testing, as long as you do not hard-reset the unit, the correct date/time will be in the ride file.

3. I'm not sure why you would be updating weight amounts post-ride. I would update weight before testing.

4. My workflow is this:

A. I start riding, with AP turned off

B. When I reach a place in my ride where turns/acceleration are minimized, I turn on AP while riding. AP calibrates itself for the next 5 minutes

C. I do my riding/testing

D. When I return I download my ride into Isaac and let AP battery recharge

E. I unplug USB from AP, then turn off AP with 5 clicks.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

The issue with weight is this: Depending on which bike I ride and what equipment I have on it there can be a difference of several pounds in total weight.
When I initiate sensor pairing the Aeropod has no way of knowing what the correct weight is for the bike even if it has my weight right.
On any given day it is possible that I will do tests on more than one bike which means that the correct weight will not necessarily be constant during the time that I am away from the computer.
Since weight affects the calculations how do I make sure that Aeropod uses the correct weight?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) Before going out to ride, use Isaac to set the weight of the bike you're using

2) If you're using more than one bike for testing on a given day, then you MIGHT need to change weight "in the field", if you're riding on non-level courses. If you're riding on reasonably level courses, as long as you hold speed relatively constant then you won't have to change weight in the field

3) If you want to do post-processing of field data, where you change weight post-ride, there is a way to do this and to get CdA data through a manual process. Basically, you will alter the weight in the ride file (Analyze/Analyze Device Settings...). This will alter AP watts according to your change. Then, highlight the section you want to analyze for CdA. Check the "view DFPM" box to see the DFPM watts, and uncheck to compare to AP watts. If they're different, use the "Analyze/Tweak CdA..." command to manually alter the value of CdA. For example, if your DFPM watts are higher than your
AP watts, you'll need to increase somewhat the value of CdA to get AP watts higher. This is a manual, iterative process, but it works.
John Hamann