Is there a way to set the Aeropod date/time in the field?

BillOsler

Is there a way to set the Aeropod date/time in the field?

Post by BillOsler »

After having to reset the Aeropod again during my ride today I was reminded that resetting the Aeropod also resets its clock.
Is there not a way to set the clock in the field?
I realize I can change the date/time In Isaac but that works only if I actually remember what time it was when I set the Aeropod and can accurately estimate how long after the reset a ride file began. Since importing GPS data requires precise matching of date/time and Isaac is not necessarily reliable at syncing the GPS data when there is a time discrepancy that is problematic.
I've also noticed that if I don't adjust the date/time of the ride file prior to trying to merge my GPS data Isaac continues to use the original bogus date/time even though I choose to use the time stamp from the GPS file when I import the GPS data.
Given these problems it would be helpful if:
(1): Isaac actually changed the ride date/time when I import GPS data (it wouldn't always be right but hopefully would be right some of the time)
(2): I could use the Powerhouse app to set the date/time of the Aeropod
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Is there a way to set the Aeropod date/time in the field?

Post by Velocomp »

1. How would Isaac know the date/time is wrong, before the user says it is wrong?

2. It is not a simple thing to change the PH app to transmit date/time.

If the date/time in a ride file is wrong, you can use the command below to fix the date/time. (You don't have to have the exact date/time in the correction).
Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 1.40.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 1.40.40 PM.png (166.75 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
Then, re-sync your GPS data. It should work just fine.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm 1. How would Isaac know the date/time is wrong, before the user says it is wrong?
I understand that changing an app can be a complicated process but as it stands the lack of a user interface for the Aeropod is an obstacle that users have to work around, not what I would expect from a user-friendly product. The Powerhouse app comes as close to an interface as we are likely to see and its usefulness is decidedly lacking.
I'm quite familiar with the process you describe for changing the date/time, having been forced to use that function any number of times when Isaac arbitrarily changed the date/time of a ride file to match the date/time of a Newton Tracker file that Isaac "THOUGHT" was a good match. One of the many reasons I stopped using Tracker.
It seems to me that if Isaac offers to use the date/time from the GPS data that it should use it even if I have not gone through the process you outlined.
As best I can tell checking that box has zero effect:
Attachments
Useless Checkbox in Isaac.png
Useless Checkbox in Isaac.png (272.57 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Personally, I've never used that checkbox. My process is:

1) I update the date/time of the ride file

2) I then merge with GPS data

It seems the reason you are getting messed-up date/time is because you're resetting the unit in the field. I believe this is happening because you report odd behavior when pairing/calibrating while in motion, which you correct by a hard reset.

Pairing is normally done while the bike is not moving. I have never had a problem when I pair the sensors at rest. This might be the easiest way to solve your problem.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:01 pm
Pairing is normally done while the bike is not moving. I have never had a problem when I pair the sensors at rest. This might be the easiest way to solve your problem.
Yes, obviously ... but I do think you should be aware of the behavior and the fact that when things go awry a hard reset is sometimes the only way to fix the problem.
It's not like I plan on going out and resetting the Aeropod while riding but in my experience problems requiring a reset happen often enough that it would be extremely helpful to be able to address settings in the Aeropod without resorting to a PC.

Similarly I thought that you should be aware that the checkbox in the merge dialog is non-functional, whether or not you use it. SOMEBODY obviously thought that it was important enough to include that in Isaac ... they just didn't do a very good job of implementing it.
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

BillOsler wrote:
"... not what I would expect from a user-friendly product. ..."
My experience with AeroPod and Issac so far (a week or two) is that they are not (yet?) user-friendly products. Feels much more like beta to me.
I am willing to accept that, and work with it on that basis and see what I can get out of it.
So far its been an interesting if sometimes frustrating journey.
YMMV