cal ride not per instructions

ted.kelly

cal ride not per instructions

Post by ted.kelly »

I tried to / did a cal ride with my AeroPod today.
When doing an out and back cal ride, I expect the power field on my garmin 820 display to count up from 0 to 50, then hold till I stop and turn around, then count up from 50 to 100.
When I did the cal ride the power display counted up from 0 to 100, when I stopped and turned around it jumped down/back to 50, then counted up to 100.

Is that what I should expect? Do I miss understand the instructions? Is my AeroPod behaving in an unexpected manner?

Note: per usual with this bike and my AeroPod, I had trouble getting the AeroPod to pair with my speed/cadence sensor and had to try a few times before I was able to start my out and back cal ride. This seems to have to do with needing to push a button on the speed/cadence sensor to put it into pairing mode, and needing to get AeroPod into pairing mode at the same time etc., and my difficulty determining the AeroPod state from the led behaviour durring pairing and starting the out and back ride. Does failure of the pairing process, or repeating pairing without doing the out and back put the AeroPod into some sort of odd internal state?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: cal ride not per instructions

Post by Velocomp »

1. Make sure your AP is set to profile 4.

2. Do a hard reset of the device; press-hold the button for about 12 seconds, until you see its light go out momentarily, then turn back on. Release the button

3. What kind of cadence sensor do you have? To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "pairing mode" for ANT+ sensors. They are either on or off. When on they transmit their signals. Placing AP into pairing mode simply means it is receiving signals from external sensors.
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

1) for the bike in question I do not have a DFPM so I am using profile 1. Isn't that proper? I plan to use profile 4 with a different bike on as soon as I install the fsa powerbox crank I bought for it.

2) Is the first half of the cal ride counting up to 100 watts indicative of a known fault state that requires a hard reset, or is this a generic "if its acting odd try rebooting it" recommendation. Having to reset in the field is annoying because it messes up the clock and the file name time stamps are junk. Best I know, I have to connect the AP to Issac to set the clock correctly after any hard reset.

3) the speed cadence sensor is an old garmin unit that zip ties to the left chain stay with a wheel magnet on a spoke and a cadence magnet on the left crank arm. There is a white button on it that can be pressed, and though I'm not certain it seems that unless I do that the AeroPod will not "find" the sensor when I put it (the AeroPod) into pairing mode (press and hold button for ~4 sec).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1. AP should function fine as a PM, and if you're using it as such then profile 1-3 are the ones to use. This wasn't mentioned in your prior posting; I assumed you were using the CdA function.

Your understanding of the cal ride is correct.

When you set AP to profile 1 and went through user setup, did you select "Better Accuracy"? If so, that may have put AP into the 0-100W calibration mode, as opposed to the out-and-back mode.

Any time you do a new sensor pairing AP should be put into an out-and-back cal mode. You can do the pairing without a hard reset. I do sensor pairings with the bike at rest.

2. Before taking the "nuclear" option (hard reset), turn off the device with 5 clicks, then back on with a click. This does a trip reset of the file, and starts things over, without messing-up the clock.

3. The Garmin GSC-10 could be a problem; we say this in the instructions and on our website. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (they can transmit weak signals). If you see spikes in your speed or cadence signal, then your sensor is not compatible in your bike setup.
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

Thanks John,

Is the "better accuracy" | "best accuracy" selection profile specific or a device level choice?
Is there a way to check which accuracy choice is in effect for a profile (I don't find it in the profile editor dialog)?
Is the 0-100 calibration mode described someplace in the documentation? Does it count 0-100 then after turn around count 50-100?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ted.kelly wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 am Thanks John,

Is the "better accuracy" | "best accuracy" selection profile specific or a device level choice?
Is there a way to check which accuracy choice is in effect for a profile (I don't find it in the profile editor dialog)?
Is the 0-100 calibration mode described someplace in the documentation? Does it count 0-100 then after turn around count 50-100?
1. Profile specific

2. If you don't see flashing red/green at the beginning of a cal ride, you are not on Best Accuracy

3. The default calibration now is Best Accuracy. Unless you manually override it in Isaac, you will have best accuracy
John Hamann