First 5 minutes of a ride

BillOsler

First 5 minutes of a ride

Post by BillOsler »

I understand that the first 5 minutes of a new ride are critical for purposes of re-calibrating the tilt sensors of the Aeropod.
I'm not sure I have this right but my impression is that the point to the 2-step initial calibration is that the first few minutes (when power ranges 0-50 then 50-70) is to make sure that the air speed sensor is zeroed/scaled appropriately. It is supposed to be out-and-back so that the sensor is exposed to approximately the same wind both directions. Then the 5 minute portion of the calibration (reported power ranges 70-100) is used to set/confirm Aeropod tilt and whatever else.
My guess is that the need for re-checking the calibration during the 1st 5 minutes of subsequent rides stems from the fact that most users are going to remove the Aeropod from the bike at the end of the ride and then re-attach it at the beginning of the next ride. The Aeropod placement may not match perfectly the original placement so calibration needs to be checked.
That raises 2 questions:
If it is critical during the initial 5 minutes of a subsequent ride that there be no stopping/braking/sharp turns is it equally critical for the 5 minute 70-100W portion of the initial calibration ride? The calibration instructions do not place such strong emphasis on that subject.
There is no easy/obvious way to zero/scale the wind speed sensor without the out-and-back portion of the ride ... but if the change in the tilt of the Aeropod after removing and re-mounting it is great enough to require re-calibration of the sensors then is it not great enough to affect wind scaling?
Put another way: Even if the Aeropod is re-attached to the same bike on the same mount would it be more accurate to repeat the full calibration procedure instead of "just" doing the 5 minute prologue?