New AeroPod firmware 7.06

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

New AeroPod firmware 7.06

Post by Velocomp »

We have a major update of AeroPod firmware, release 7.06.

FW 7.06 improves the stability and consistency of CdA measurement. Please read the attached document for details.

NOTICE: it is extremely important that you understand, and follow, the instructions!

After installing 7.06 you will need to do a new, full calibration ride. This ride is identical in format to the existing calibration ride.

For all new rides AFTER the calibration ride, the first 5 minutes of the ride will check the calibration of the accelerometer. During the first 5 minutes of a new ride do the following:

1) Ride at a reasonably constant pace—no sprinting or surging
2) No sharp turns. (As an example, on the bike route below there are 4 sharp turns after leaving the oval to ride on the main road outside. It would be bad to have these turns included in the first 5 minutes of a new ride file. So, the cyclist rides on the oval for the first 5 minutes).
Oval with sharp turns.png
Oval with sharp turns.png (16.44 KiB) Viewed 12797 times
3) Do not use brakes
4) No stopping
5) During the first 5 minutes CdA will not change; your default CdA value will be shown. When the calibration period ends the CdA measurement will go “live”.

After the first 5 minutes have passed, AP will “lock in” its internal calibrations and afterwards you will see live CdA measurement.

We will be providing a new version of Isaac for Windows soon, which will allow server download of FW 7.06. If you want to get access to firmware 7.06 sooner, please email jhamann@velocomp.com

FIRMWARE 7.06 WORKS WITH AEROPOD ONLY
Attachments
AeroPod 706 Release Notes030619.pdf
(87.06 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
John Hamann
EHB

Re: New AeroPod firmware 7.06

Post by EHB »

As regards the 5 minute warm up: does that apply to the profiles that don’t have CdA?
My cycles to the swimming pool and heath to run both require stopping at red lights, surging on greens & there are lots of 90° turns. I don’t actually need super accuracy there anyway - main use is to avoid getting tired before run/swim by checking power stays below FTP.
Even for dedicated cycle rides using profile 4 I think not changing speeds or turning would be hard in the first few minutes, as I’d have to cycle somewhere on normal roads (with lights) before starting. Is there a way of restarting the process once you get somewhere suitable?
Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Good question!

These conditions apply only to profile 4, where CdA is measured.

In any of the other profiles you don't have these special conditions.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

Thanks!
If I’m using Profile 4 but there is some messing around getting somewhere quiet would I just re-do the calibration ride as normal when I get there?
EHB

Post by EHB »

Doh! I forgot: you said there would be a new version of Isaac for Windows. What about Isaac for Mac? I tried ‘check online for update’ & it said 7.03 was latest version. Thanks, Eerke
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

EHB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:30 pm Doh! I forgot: you said there would be a new version of Isaac for Windows. What about Isaac for Mac? I tried ‘check online for update’ & it said 7.03 was latest version. Thanks, Eerke
We are working on Isaac for Mac right now. It is a major revision because we have to go from 32bit to 64bit. We will publish it as soon as we can.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

EHB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:51 pm Thanks!
If I’m using Profile 4 but there is some messing around getting somewhere quiet would I just re-do the calibration ride as normal when I get there?
I don't understand what you are asking.
John Hamann
Guido_K

Post by Guido_K »

Hey John,
I am sorry for this slightly off topic post. I get your technical requirements. However, my home is in a neighborhood where I need to get down a steep hill taking sharp turns every beginning of a ride. What would be you recommendation for such a situation? Switch the aeropod on later in the ride?

Just as an idea, would it be possible to define the 5 min as a time window? The aeropod takes the first 5 suitable min of the ride instead.

Cheers,

Guido
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

...waiting for new SW for mac so I can get this update...

So, I'm a little confused by this (probably just me). What's special about profile 4 (that I'm not aware of)?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Guido_K wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 pm Hey John,
I am sorry for this slightly off topic post. I get your technical requirements. However, my home is in a neighborhood where I need to get down a steep hill taking sharp turns every beginning of a ride. What would be you recommendation for such a situation? Switch the aeropod on later in the ride?

Just as an idea, would it be possible to define the 5 min as a time window? The aeropod takes the first 5 suitable min of the ride instead.

Cheers,

Guido
Yes, leave the AP off (if it has been asleep then leave it asleep; if you've awakened it then put it back to sleep by clicking its button 5 times).

When you get to the starting point awaken AP. When awakened the 5 minute period starts.

It would be impossible for AP to figure out where the "suitable" part of the ride is...
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ScottChapman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 am ...waiting for new SW for mac so I can get this update...

So, I'm a little confused by this (probably just me). What's special about profile 4 (that I'm not aware of)?
1) Mac version is still in process; we are waiting for additional software from the platform company.

2) If you want we will send you the FW by email; you can load the new FW with your current version of Isaac/Mac

3) Profile 4 is the ONLY profile that enables CdA measurement.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Velocomp wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:28 pm 3) Profile 4 is the ONLY profile that enables CdA measurement.
Huh, cool! I must have missed that somewhere. Where can I find the docs on that? (no rush on the FW since it appears to benefit a feature I was totally unaware of! ;-) )
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

From page 7 of AeroPod Operating Instructions:

"1. Enter “Profile 4” parameters
Your AeroPod ships from the factory, pre-set to profile 4. CdA measurement is done ONLY in profile 4. Profiles 1, 2 and 3 can be used for your other bikes, using AeroPod for power meter measurements."

:-)
John Hamann
kq6up

Post by kq6up »

Does this FW go back to generating a Cal ride file for a calibration ride? I did one this morning before heading out on a ride, and when I came back I saw one of those in the AP. It did also auto adjust the WSF for my metric century. The WSF shifted back down to something closer to what it was before -- 1.053.

Interesting...

Chris
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When you do a cal ride, 3 files are generated:

1) the "0-50" file, where WSF and accelerometer are calibrated

2) the "70-100" file, where default CdA is measured

3) the "after 100" ride file, where any subsequent riding is recorded.
John Hamann
kq6up

Post by kq6up »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:16 pm When you do a cal ride, 3 files are generated:

This was a Cal ride in one of the "Normal" profiles. I have decided to use the AP as a power meter rather than switch my DFPM pedals between bikes every time I ride a different bike. Now that I have my AP dialed in I usually get power that is within a couple of percent of my DFPM for an entire ride. This me confidence I can use the AP as a stand alone PM. I am sure there is only so many times I can change DFPM pedals before wearing out the threads in the crank arms. They are easier to switch between bikes than crank DFPM, but only so many times before the threads are shot.

Regards,
Chris Maness
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:16 pm When you do a cal ride, 3 files are generated:

A minor quibble:
As best I can tell if the user follows the calibration instructions exactly as written won't there be 4 files?
1) After sensor pairing, AeroPod light will show solid yellow when its button is clicked
2) After riding a few seconds, AeroPod light will flash red/green. Ride to the place where
you want to start your calibration ride.
3) When you are ready to start your calibration ride, click the AeroPod button. Light will
change to flashing yellow
At least I think that's what I saw on my calibration ride today. I paired the aeropod, rode several minutes to the start of the calibration ride, pressed the button and did the usual out/back ride plus the subsequent several minutes. The process appears to have generated files for:
  • Riding to the start of the calibration
  • The calibration (0-70W)
  • The subsequent CdA measurement (70-100W)
  • The rest of my ride
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I forgot about the ride file that happens before you start the cal ride.

Thanks for the correction!
John Hamann
quantus

Post by quantus »

Hi,
I try to update every evening. Every evening I get the message "" Server is overloaded. Try it later."

What do I make wrong?

Thx
cgsjr

Post by cgsjr »

Isaac has been updated to the newest version on my
Windows 10 system but when I check for new
firmware it states I already have the current version 7.03

I notice the 7.06 firmware is available.
Shouldn't Isaac be updating my firmware to 7.06?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com to get the FW.

There appears to be a small bug in Isaac... :-(
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

does the firmware only affect profile #4? Or will we need to recalibrate all bike profiles when it updates?
And assuming I get the firmware for a calibration ride tomorrow, what's the process for manually updating with Isaac?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Firmware changes affect profile 4 only.

Once you receive the firmware, place it on your desktop. Use the Isaac command "Device/Unlock Feature..." to upload the firmware into your AP.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

So I won't have to recalibrate profiles 1-3? And the 5 minute post-calibration ride doesn't apply to profiles 1-3? I think a post above implies this, but just want to confirm...
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

OK, so I was on profile #2, and paired and did my cal ride like normal. Count up to 50, turn around count up to 100.

Then I applied the brakes to slow down and do a U-turn. At which point I noticed it was showing 50. And then it, more slowly, counted up from 50. So, I just rode steady, no braking etc...

Was that the 5-minute post calibration ride? And did I screw it up by braking and doing my u-turn?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps
John Hamann
Lopey66

Post by Lopey66 »

Hi,
I just recently purchased an aeropod a week ago
Just installed latest Issac software 5.01 for windows(Mar-30-2019), I did a check for FW and it says its 7.04, when I check for a firmware update, it also lists it as 7.04 even though I read in the forum its 7.06
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann
Guido_K

Post by Guido_K »

Hey,
I seem to have trouble with the 5 min initial section at the beginning of a new ride. My aeropod "never" (N=3 samples) gets "live" it is stuck displaying the default CdA.

This requires a little context. So far, I tried three times. I never had the luck to meet all the criteria listed for a successful 5 min setup ride. Either traffic lights or friendly car / truck drivers forced me to stop or break hard. If I understand the firmware 7.06 correctly, this should lead to inferior results but the aeropod should still go live.

So I ended up doing a new calibration every time. The calibration sequence works well and seems to be more forgiving. However, I am not convinced doing a calibration ride each time before I take out my bike is really a good option.

Cheers,

Guido
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...post a ride file that illustrates this problem.
John Hamann