Another failed effort to collect CdA information

BillOsler

Another failed effort to collect CdA information

Post by BillOsler »

I tried again to obtain data for CdA on my Time Trial bike. This time I made sure it was fully charged. The first thing I noticed was thateven though I paired new sensors the calibration did not go smoothly. The power display rapidly ramped up from zero to over 100.
I went back to the starting point, turned the Aeropod off (five clicks) and then restarted the Aeropod holding the button down for several seconds until the indicator flashed, waited until I saw 3 red and 3 yellow flashes and started over again. Again the Aeropod went from zero to over 100 very rapidly, not like the regular calibration ride.
I tried pairing again. Same thing.
Since I didn't have my laptop handy I went ahead with the ride. The Garmin paired with the Aeropod and showed power data but after finishing up and returning home I discovered that the Aeropod recorded ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The last file in the Aeropod was the incompletely recorded ride 2 days ago when the Aeropod failed mid-ride (possibly due to battery drain, I'll probably never know).
I've done a reset ... AGAIN ... but this is becoming tiresome.
At this point I'm not sure I can believe any data I actually manage to collect (if I ever do) even if it looks credible.
Maybe the new and improved firmware will improve things if/when it arrives but this is EXTREMELY frustrating.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Another failed effort to collect CdA information

Post by Velocomp »

What profile is active?

Connect AP to Isaac; go to Device/Set Active Profile in Device. Your active profile will be shown.

If it is anything other than profile 4 you would get exactly the behavior you have described.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

I checked in Powerhouse before the ride and also checked afterwards. It was Profile 4.
But even if it had been a different profile ... if the Aeropod paired to the sensors shouldn't it have recorded data?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please do what was requested.

CdA data is reported and recorded only in profile 4. This is clearly stated in the instructions.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

I understand that CdA is recorded only in Profile 4 ... but the Aeropod didn't record ANYTHING. There was no file of any kind to download even though the Garmin was displaying power data that seemed to be coming from the Aeropod. At least the Garmin said it was paired with the Aeropod and it was displaying power data.
The Aeropod WAS set on Profile 4 ... but even if it had not been shouldn't it have recorded wind, slope, speed and DFPM power just like the Powerpod and Newton did?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

BillOsler wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:02 pm I understand that CdA is recorded only in Profile 4 ... but the Aeropod didn't record ANYTHING. There was no file of any kind to download even though the Garmin was displaying power data that seemed to be coming from the Aeropod. At least the Garmin said it was paired with the Aeropod and it was displaying power data.
The Aeropod WAS set on Profile 4 ... but even if it had not been shouldn't it have recorded wind, slope, speed and DFPM power just like the Powerpod and Newton did?
All I am asking is...when you connect AP to Isaac, and go to "Device/Set Active Profile in Device", what is your AP set to?
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

As I said previously: It was profile 4. It's the only profile that was ever set up or used though it did default to Profile 1 after I did the factory reset this evening.
But shouldn't it have recorded SOMETHING even if I were to choose a different profile for a regular ride? I haven't done so ... but I thought that was part of the functionality of the device?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) I do not understand what you mean by "Factory Reset". Please explain

2) Make sure you set your profile to profile 4. Use Isaac to do this.

3) If your AP did not record information, it's possible its memory is full. Do a "Device/Erase all Ride Files" command. Alternatively, you might want to do a hard reset of the device.

If your calibration rapidly went from 0 to 100, it seems likely your AP was set to something other than profile 4.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

I may have chosen the terminology badly when I said I did a reset. In Isaac I did a device reset which erased all settings and recorded data. I'm not at that computer right now so I cannot tell you the exact label that Isaac used for the reset in the menu.
The memory was about 35% full prior to the reset, per Isaac.
As I have said multiple times already the device was set to Profile 4 according to both Isaac and Powerhouse. As best I can tell it has never been set to anything else. I don't know how I can be any more clear on this point. It WAS NOT any other profile.
But as I asked previously EVEN IF the profile were not set to 4 (it WAS set to 4, this is a hypothetical question), shouldn't the Aeropod have recorded SOMETHING? That seems a simple enough question.
You can assume that I'm wrong about the profile if you are determined to do so (as appears to be the case) but EVEN IF YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT THAT it seems to me that the failure to record any data is a problem.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Here are your own words from your previous posting: "...though it did default to Profile 1 after I did the factory reset this evening". This is the reason I said, make sure your profile is now set to profile 4.

If you have done a Profile reset, you will need to set up profile 4 completely, then do a new cal ride.

I agree that, in any event, the device should be recording ride files, so I would also do a hard reset of AP.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

You are correct, it would have been more precise to say it had never been on anything but Profile 4 while in use ... but in any event that was AFTER the problem developed. I changed the profile in Isaac immediately after the reset.
Is the hardware reset initiated by holding the button down for ~12 seconds different from the reset I did from within Isaac?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, a hard reset on the device reboots the microprocessor. Isaac does not reboot the MCU.

I 100% believe you are on profile 4 :-)

Let's hope everything works!
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

OK. I'll do a hard reboot.
I considered doing that in the field when I noted the problem but that messes with the clock and my guess was that I wouldn't be able to correlate events in my FIT file with the IBR data if I did a hard reset. In retrospect not resetting was the wrong choice.
Is there a way to update/correct the system clock via the Powerhouse app? Or some other way to get the FIT file and the IBR file synced correctly if I have to do a hard reset in the field?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When you download the ride file you can reset the date/time in Isaac with the command "Tools/Repair/Fix Date and Time in Ride File".

I'm not sure what you are doing with the .fit file; Isaac can't read them (Isaac CAN read .gpx and .tcx files).
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Thanks. I do have to convert the FIT file to TCX but it helps to have the GPS data when I'm reviewing the CdA efforts so I can be sure I have marked the correct portion. The trick will be figuring out when the new time will be since the Garmin and the Aeropod won't start at exactly the same time if I record the Garmin at the beginning of the calibration process.