Aeropod died?

BillOsler

Aeropod died?

Post by BillOsler »

Today I tried another CdA test as a detour on my ride to work. The calibration went OK and the Aeropod seemed to be performing OK though the CdA values I saw while in the drops were higher than the ones I saw on the hoods.
After doing my CdA testing I rode on to work.
When I wrapped up for the day and got ready to ride home the Aeropod would not turn on. When I pressed the button I got nothing, no flashing light, no steady light. Nothing.
After I got home I connected the Aeropod to my computer and got nothing. Isaac did not connect to the Aeropod, the Aeropod status light did not turn on. The Powerhouse app also cannot connect to the Aeropod. I tried switching USB cables but that made no difference.
I thought at first maybe the battery had died. It should have been fully charged when I started today but stranger things have happened.
Now, after an hour connected to my laptop and subsequently 30-40 minutes connected to a USB charger (the one from my iPad if it matters) when I press the Aeropod button I get ... nothing.
I'm trying to decide whether to attempt a device reset but I wonder if there is any way at all to recover the data from the Aeropod?
BillOsler

Re: Aeropod died?

Post by BillOsler »

Having had no success after charging the Aeropod and re-connecting to my laptop I did what may have been a reset. I held the button down and after about 7 seconds a light flashed (orange? - not sure) then I hooked it up to the laptop again, ran Isaac and discovered that after finishing the calibration portion of the ride the Aeropod recorded 19 minutes out of the ~1:15 I rode after completing the calibration. The ride file unfortunately includes only the first CdA test and a little bit of the second.
The data recording presumably ended abnormally since the filename does not follow the usual convention. The downloaded file is attached.
I am puzzled by the file's size. Isaac shows it recorded a bit less than 5 miles but the file is a bit over 40% of the size of a recent 15+ mile test ride. I don't know if that's enough of a discrepancy to be significant.
In retrospect I think it had been 6 days since the last time I used the Aeropod. I would not expect a good battery to self discharge in that time ... but I don't know anything about the Aeropod's battery. And as best I can tell there is no way to check the battery's charge status.
So, it appears that all my testing efforts came to naught ... for about the 4th time ... I think I've gotten believable data once out of 4-5 tries, maybe more.
And yet again I have to ask WHY is there no user interface? Is there nothing that would allow me to see the charge status of the battery? Could the ConnectIQ app not display a warning? Could Powerhouse not display the battery status?
I'm beginning to wonder if all of us early adopters are really beta testers.
one other thing I noticed ... Based on what I've read the Powerpod status indicator would glow red while the device was charging. I don't recall EVER seeing that behavior from the Aeropod ... which means I can't even tell when/whether it's done charging.
Attachments
iBike_01_06_2019_1114_0_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(207.54 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I just found this post...

1) A fully charged AP will last about 3 months in a sleep state

2) When you do a hard reset, you reset the battery's internal clock

3) I can't comment on the file length. I have had files in the past that were fully recorded but showed "0" miles

4) Garmin does show battery status.

5) When charging the AP status light will flash red. Do you not see this?
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

If the AP battery should last 3 months then something really odd was going on. Maybe it wasn't the battery. At this late date I don't recall all the details.
I do sometimes see a flashing LED when I first connect the AP to a USB power source but my impression is that the flashing doesn't go on for very long.

If there is a way to see battery status in the Garmin in real time I'd love to hear about it. I haven't found that feature on my 820, though it SOMETIMES displays a warning message if a sensor battery is low and it does record battery status for some sensors in the FIT file. And of course it DOES display it's own battery status.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Flashing red LED when connected to USB means your AP battery is charging. Let it flash until the battery goes out (fully charged).

Here is a screen shot from the FW release notes, showing where to find AP battery status on Garmin.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 5.48.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 5.48.08 AM.png (326.93 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Thanks. I'll check it out.