Testing Results

Graham

Testing Results

Post by Graham »

I've not been able to get out and make further tests with my AeroPod with the winter weather and other commitments. My first few rides, I did not get consistent results which I have posted about on this forum. And not being sure when I'll be able to make further tests with stable weather conditions in the near future. Was wondering has anybody got any positive and repeatable testing results they'd like to share?

Cheers
Graham
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Testing Results

Post by Velocomp »

There are several places on the forum where you can find test results.

Also, we are working on a major FW update that is showing some solid results in testing. We will get that to all of you soon!
John Hamann
RolfK

Post by RolfK »

Hi Graham.

Yes, I'm getting solid numbers, after a bit of practice. Like were you live, weather isn't great here in Denmark, the temperatures are near the freezing point and there are many windy days. So' I've put my AeroPod on my winterbike, complete with fenders, and I'm doing laps in an industrial area in full winter gear.

In essence because I use some of my base training time to also train my aero testing skills. I really recommend doing this - testing takes practice. Finding good spots for calibration rides, getting good at doing calibration rides, finding courses that give you solid numbers. Do it now and be ready for real testing when spring comes around.

One of my regular training laps is about 6.3 km long, has four turns and a roundabout, and not much traffic.

Today I did four laps, in full winter gear. The CdA-values from those laps are pretty consistent: laps 1,2 & 4 in one position (0.410, 0.410, 0.412) and lap 3 in another position (0.393). I had to brake a little on lap 4...

This is using the beta firmware that John Hamann announced before christmas. It's not perfect (yet) but it is pretty good :)
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hello RolfK

Thanks for the update on your testing and nice to hear you are getting consistent test results. Practice at testing is good advice and I will do that on my winter bike.

Graham
RolfK

Post by RolfK »

I'm still working on my calibration ride skills. Finding out what matters and what doesn't - is it, as an example, OK to brake a little before making a u-turn on an out-and-back course? Yes, that seems to be OK. Just getting good at executing the process out in the field.

I want to get to the point where I can reproduce CdA's from day to day on the same course within expected measurement precision, when there are only "reasonable" changes in weather conditions, i.e. no extreme crosswinds or similar. I'm getting there, but I find that it takes practice - there are so many more variables than when doing physical testing on the turbo. Makes the winter rides more interesting, though ;)

Best regards
Rolf