Aeropod config 50w and ???

3dp

Aeropod config 50w and ???

Post by 3dp »

Hello
Two weeks many rides many attempts at getting aeropod working (30+ attempts at config) and only 2 semi successful rides yesterday after 6-7 attempts it worked but I had cda's from 0.21 <0.29 and its did not seem to log the ride
I tried maybe 10 times today - nothing - my patience is now at a end

My setup
Garmin 1000 with speed and cadence sensors rotor 3d+ pm

Following setup as per the various pdf's on forum I have no problem in getting to a paired sensor set and AP flashing red/green and commence config

HOWEVER!!

AP does not freeze at 50w or show a red light on the outbound (its flashing yellow) and usually by time I have stopped its showing 53-54w and will then return to 0w
Commence a inbound ride and will recommence from the 53-54w and climb to 100w (still flashing yellow) and then show a solid green and register the dfpm wattage

Ok fingers x'd
Start riding wind speed and tilt angles register but cda stays static - in my case its 0.2777
Less than happy so far so reaching out for help

3DP
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Aeropod config 50w and ???

Post by Velocomp »

Please do the following:

1) Connect AP to Isaac

2) Go to "Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract from Device". The profile stored in your AP will be loaded into Isaac

3) Click "Export" and save that profile to your desktop. Attach the profile to your post

4) Attach a .ibr ride file to your post

We will figure out what is going on.
John Hamann
3dp

Post by 3dp »

Hello
thanks for the quick response
Files enclosed - can now see there is a lot more under the hood !!
the 3dp.idp is direct extract
the 2 *.ibr are the largest extracts from what are the only 2 rides that seem to have logged a ride
as mentioned it took multiple efforts yesterday and I only noticed it was working when cda suddenly dropped a tiny fraction as I set off on final attempt at config yesterday

other info

AP is currently only envisaged for my TTbike - not likely for now to swop it between my TT and road setups (or fat or mtb etc for that matter!!)
looking at the ibr - maybe I have a few settings missed or wrong
current ftp on flat is 250w and my 40k TT test best a couple of weeks back which has a first half uphill is 315w
weight seems ok at 223 lbs although I work in metric

3dp
Attachments
iBike_12_14_2018_2326_30_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(767.36 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
iBike_10_08_2018_1833_19_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(489.1 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
3dp.ibp
(458 Bytes) Downloaded 140 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your profile shows that you paired to a DFPM, but there is no DFPM data in your ride file.

Did you see power data on your Garmin? If so, then AP was receiving DFPM data from your Garmin

Do the following:

1) press-hold AP button for about 12 seconds. Its light will go out momentarily, then flash. Release the button. This does a hard reset of AP

2) Do a short ride, then post it. Hopefully there will be DFPM data in it
John Hamann
3dp

Post by 3dp »

Thanks and noted
In meantime the ride file dated 10 08 2018 to my eyes is showing power and that data in Isaac if I am correct and from my dfpm -my case the rotor 3d+
Garmin will send a msg new metre found and I know which pm is dfpm vs AP pm via there indicator numbers
In that case it is indicating in Garmin during ride using dfpm

Using ride data10 08 2018 which was actually 02 01 2019
In doing a are reset did this throw the dates out of wack for Isaac and AP? As in date of manufacturer?

Will try again tomorrow using my warm up route but it is a different route am riding
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...in the ride file you posted, there is no DFPM data. I looked in the excel file as well.

If you see data please post a screen shot from Isaac. Make sure you check the "View DFPM" box.
John Hamann
3dp

Post by 3dp »

Screen attached - so the power here is the AP? - figures were high as this was my TT run on this course for the month and basically found another 80 watts although first 20k is basically a slow uphill drag

Reading more is the HR channel where the dfPM is expected

OK we are off for a ride - hopeful of some data - full reset
Attachments
3dp-screen.jpg
3dp-screen.jpg (103.13 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is what I saw too. Your DFPM is not registering.
John Hamann
3dp

Post by 3dp »

hello
well I have spent the past 2 hours on our beach promenade going back and forth
changed batteries in rotor power meter
added a garmin vector 3's from road bike

the result - nothing but frustration
using rotor it calibrates to 50w and keeps going to 100w as described then sits at 0.277cda
took battery out of rotor so it is not picked up

fitted garmin pedals
gets to the outbound flashing yellow for calbration
shows actual riding watts and showing some variance in cda while riding and stays flashing yellow - does not follow the 0-50-100w

ok that's 2 dfpm's 3 years old (rotor) garmin 9 months old garmin head 2 years old plus the garmin speed and cadence sensors a-- fully charged with fresh batteries and one really unhappy rider

how can I record a ride if I cannot get past calibration or both of my dfpm's will not seemingly work with AP ??

Advice next steps - its almost ready to be packed and shipped back

3dp
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

3dp wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:49 am hello
well I have spent the past 2 hours on our beach promenade going back and forth
changed batteries in rotor power meter
added a garmin vector 3's from road bike

the result - nothing but frustration
using rotor it calibrates to 50w and keeps going to 100w as described then sits at 0.277cda
took battery out of rotor so it is not picked up

fitted garmin pedals
gets to the outbound flashing yellow for calbration
shows actual riding watts and showing some variance in cda while riding and stays flashing yellow - does not follow the 0-50-100w

ok that's 2 dfpm's 3 years old (rotor) garmin 9 months old garmin head 2 years old plus the garmin speed and cadence sensors a-- fully charged with fresh batteries and one really unhappy rider

how can I record a ride if I cannot get past calibration or both of my dfpm's will not seemingly work with AP ??

Advice next steps - its almost ready to be packed and shipped back

3dp
I sent you a private email.
John Hamann
3dp

Post by 3dp »

Update and thanks for the emails in meantime

After a couple of changes in battery in my Rotor 3d+ DFPM I seem to have got AP producing data - have not tried my garmin vector 3 yet
rotor seems very sensitive to its batteries in its old age it seems

A couple of simple queries observations

Enclosed file is from last nights ride - seems to have recorded!!

1 setting file dates to todays calendar date? - use device -setup -set time and date??
2 after a hard reset das also reset hence the 2018 file date?
3 cda sems high? I am pretty optimised in TT position and it was a pretty much wind free evening during ride and I made a point of maintaining form as much as practical during ride - its a busy track so there is a bit of ducking and diving
is this down to initial calibration - I did 3 different calibration rides and each time the cda figure then garmin/ap paired was different (and high) compared to my original posting and issues where it was always 0.277 -currently get intial figures 0.6-0.8 however it drops during ride but not to where I am expecting a sub 0.25 cda

however its recording data
Attachments
iBike_10_08_2018_0013_28_km_HiDef.ibr
(454.08 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) When you connect AP to Isaac, your date/time will automatically be updated to current date and time. Your next ride will have correct time.

2) Yes, a hard reset wipes out the stored date/time. See 1) for fix

3) If you are riding in a TT position I agree your CdA is high. I am very suspicious about your Rotor DFPM...you've obviously had problems with it. AP assumes your DFPM is working properly, and it calculates its CdA numbers based on that assumption. If your DFPM is reading wrong, then all bets are off.

4) Your ride file shows a CdA/HR "bump" at minute 33. In looking at your data, it appears that AP was knocked out of position. Make sure AP is solidly attached to your mount and cannot rotate.
John Hamann
3dp

Post by 3dp »

Thanks John
Call this a case closed
Agreed the Rotor is a prime suspect since I change batteries (previously Duracell which I can't easily get in UAE)
In the past it would wake up on just a couple
of spins on the crank by hand - now you need to ride it
However the power curves seem pretty similar

I will be out tomorrow hopefully with a cleaned profile and see if I can tell the difference on helmets plus get a more optimal cda from the start