Failure to record data

BillOsler

Failure to record data

Post by BillOsler »

I was playing around with a couple of pieces of equipment today and decided to make a quick comparison between the estimated CdA for one and the estimated CdA for the other. I didn't do the full testing protocol because (1) this was not intended to be a careful measurement that would be comparable with results on a different day (a project for another day) and (2) I was running out of time.
At the time I THOUGHT that the bike I was riding was the one that was most recently set up in Profile 4.
After I woke up my sensors and my computer I pressed the button on the Aeropod. It blinked green a couple of times then turned to a steady green. I was far enough away from my other bikes that their sensors were irrelevant even if they had been on and I'm pretty sure none of the other sensors was active.
During the ride I pressed the Aeropod button occasionally if I had to stop for more than a few seconds for any reason and was always greeted by a steady green light.
When I returned home and loaded the ride file in Isaac I discovered that there were no DFPM data and no cadence data. The bike has both a C1 DFPM and a separate cadence sensor. I thought that was odd so I extracted the bike profile from the ride file and discovered that the wireless IDs for speed and power corresponded to a different bike, not the one I was riding. I didn't use Tracker so there was no GPS data.
There was something else puzzling as well. Although there were no DFPM data there were Aeropod power and also speed data.
All of which raises several questions:
(1) How in the world did the Aeropod get speed data if it was not paired to the correct sensor? Obviously it is possible in principle to calculate speed from acceleration ... but are the Aeropod's sensors that good?
(2) Why did I consistently see the green indicator light that (unless I have misunderstood) is supposed to indicate that sensors did pair correctly?
(3) Why is there no viable, user-friendly way to determine which sensors are actually paired with the Aeropod?
I decided to see if I could still recover useful information by merging the power and other data from my Garmin's FIT file and discovered that although Isaac offers to import that data from FIT files it is not in fact able to do so. Fortunately the Fit File Repair Tool CAN read FIT files and then export them as TCX and Isaac can import the data from that format.
Which raises another question:
(4) Why does Isaac offer to merge data from FIT files if it cannot in fact do so?
In the end I was able to generate data of uncertain reliability by merging Power information from the Garmin. I'm not convinced that my shiny new wheel covers did in fact reduce CdA by 10% but I HOPE that's correct.
I intend to do more formal testing in the future and maybe things will go more smoothly then... but today's difficulties certainly emphasize the NECESSITY of having a user interface that can communicate actual information.
BillOsler

Re: Failure to record data

Post by BillOsler »

I guess since the file doesn't have any GPS data it's OK to post.
Attachments
iBike_12_25_2018_1602_5_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(194.69 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) Connect AP to Isaac, then go to "Edit/Edit Profiles".

2) Click the "Extract from Device" button; this will get the profile used in your ride. Please export that profile and post.

Your ride file shows that you were connected to your speed sensor, and wind data is good too. What's missing is your DFPM and cadence data.

I don't know why AP did not see your DFPM data. Either AP is paired to a different DFPM, or AP did not pair to your DFPM.

If you are riding with the connect IQ app on Garmin, did you see power data on the screen?

I would do a hard reset of AP, then a short ride. Please post the ride file.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Thanks for following up on this. I can check on the information you requested when I return home but I am curious: If the option to extract the profile from the ride file does not report the information that was in the profile during the ride then what DOES it do?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I can't tell from the file-extracted profile where your AP was set (profile #). All the other info is there.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

It's profile 4. I don't think I've ever used any other profile on the Aeropod. I can confirm that this evening but I don't recall setting up any other profile.
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

I grabbed several screen shots. I'm not sure why the Set Active Profile dialog says Profile 4 is "Unsaved" but if I am interpreting the screen correctly it confirms that I have not set up Profiles 1-3. In any event at the beginning of the ride in question I confirmed with Powerhouse that the Aeropod was set for Profile 4.

The other dialogs show the profile I was using for the data collection.

The key finding, which I confirmed this evening, is that NONE of the wireless IDs listed in the profile correspond to the bike I was riding. ALL of them correspond to a different bike that previously was paired with the Aeropod. That bike was hanging untouched on a rack in the garage, nowhere near where I was riding. Since the DFPM wireless ID and cadence ID were for a different bike it makes sense that the Aeropod did not record anything on those data channels ... but how the bike recorded information from a speed sensor that was turned off and attached to a different bike is a mystery to me. The bike I was riding was previously paired with the Aeropod which makes me wonder ... is it possible the Aeropod "remembers" the speed sensor from previous pairings? That's basically what my Garmin does, it recognizes any previously paired sensor regardless of which bike the sensor is/was on but with the Garmin that behavior is "by design".

Attachments
Aeropod Isaac dialogs Profile 4.jpg
Aeropod Isaac dialogs Profile 4.jpg (126.25 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

I forgot to attach the Profile that I extracted from the Aeropod
Attachments
Aeropod Profile Ride 12-25.ibp
(460 Bytes) Downloaded 183 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...I would look at your other profiles and confirm that none of them have any wireless ID information stored in them.

It is odd to me that AP worked with the "wrong" speed sensor ID. Your calibration data looks great, so most definitely the profile that was being used was set for the bike you were riding.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

At the risk of seeming obtuse ... how do I confirm that there is nothing in Profiles 1-3?
That's what I was trying to do when I took the screen shot of the Set Active Profile dialog box.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I should have been more complete.

1) Connect AP to Isaac
2) Go to "Edit/Edit Profiles"
3) Click the button "Set Active Profile in Device"
4) Select profile 1.
5) Click the "Extract from Device" button. This will be the profile for profile 1.
6) Click the "Wireless ID" tab, and check the IDs.
7) Repeat steps 3)-->6) for profiles 2 and 3

What you want is for all wireless IDs in the other profiles to be 0. If any of these profiles have non-zero wireless IDs, reset the offending profile using the command

"Device/Setup/Reset Profile-Device"
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

Thanks for the clarification.
For Profile 1-3 all of the Wireless ID tabs were identical. All IDs were 0, all of the sensor "buttons" were black (or is it dark green?) except the Pout Enabled button was a bright green.
There was no sign of any wireless ID associated with the bike I was riding.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, it sounds like profiles 1-3 are correct.

For the ride file you posted, is the DFPM ID correct? If not, you will need to do a new pairing, then a new cal ride.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

For the ride I posted NONE of the wireless IDs are correct. I don't know how the Aeropod acquired speed data unless it was transmitted back from the ConnectIQ app.
I'll re-do the calibration and try again.