Calibration without re-pairing

cj1234567890

Calibration without re-pairing

Post by cj1234567890 »

How can I start a calibration ride out on the road?

From the documentation it seems this is not possible without pressing the button for four seconds and pairing sensors? But then my heart rate monitor will be around, making AeroPod useless.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Calibration without re-pairing

Post by Velocomp »

1) When you first set-up AeroPod (presumably at your home) you can do the pairing without your HR strap on. Ride the bike to where you're going to do the cal ride; its light will flash red/green all the time. When you are ready to actually start the ride, press the button--the light will flash yellow, indicating the ride has started.

2) If you have already completed a calibration ride, you are out on the road and, for some reason, want to do another calibration ride, remove your HR strap, put it about 100 feet away from the bike, then do a new sensor pairing. When the light goes solid green the pairing is complete. Re-attach your HR strap and do your cal ride!
John Hamann
cj1234567890

Post by cj1234567890 »

1) Yes, I was aware of this. But even at home, I tend to get dressed before setting up my bike.

2) This is only a last resort. Possible, but totally inconvenient.

I think you should reconsider this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the number of people without a separate bike computer (who depend on recording heart rate in AeroPod) is probably around zero.
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

cj1234567890 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 am 1) Yes, I was aware of this. But even at home, I tend to get dressed before setting up my bike.

I think you should reconsider this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the number of people without a separate bike computer (who depend on recording heart rate in AeroPod) is probably around zero.
I completely agree. There needs to be either a way to suppress HR recording in Profile 4 OR the ability to record both CdA and HR. The current approach is ill conceived and, since there is no viable user interface, it is not possible (in the field) to know whether the Aeropod paired with the HR sensor despite the user's efforts to prevent that pairing. It's not at all user friendly.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

There is a 100% reliable way to suppress HR recording in AeroPod: do not pair a HR sensor to AeroPod! That's why we say, several times in the instructions, that if you want CdA data recorded in the AP ride file then do not pair a HR strap to AeroPod.

Further, since you can record HR on your Garmin, there is no reason to duplicate HR recording in AeroPod.

If the user chooses to pair an HR strap and subsequently "lose" CdA data recording in the AP ride file, that is a choice the user makes.

And if, by chance, the HR pairing with AP is done by mistake, then it is easy to "fix": do a new sensor pairing, with the HR strap turned off.

Finally, it's possible to check to see if a HR strap is paired to AP, prior to a ride. Connect AP to Isaac, select "Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract From Device/Wireless ID". If there is a non zero number in the HR ID, then a HR strap has been paired to AP.
John Hamann
cj1234567890

Post by cj1234567890 »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 am There is a 100% reliable way to suppress HR recording in AeroPod: do not pair a HR sensor to AeroPod! That's why we say, several times in the instructions, that if you want CdA data recorded in the AP ride file then do not pair a HR strap to AeroPod.
I think everybody understands that, but...
Velocomp wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 amFurther, since you can record HR on your Garmin, there is no reason to duplicate HR recording in AeroPod.
Exactly my point! AeroPod doesn't even need the capability to connect to a hr monitor. Please just disable it in profile 4.
Velocomp wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 amIf the user chooses to pair an HR strap and subsequently "lose" CdA data recording in the AP ride file, that is a choice the user makes.
Often it is not a choice, because the hr strap just happens to be on the user's body in the field.
Velocomp wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 amAnd if, by chance, the HR pairing with AP is done by mistake, then it is easy to "fix": do a new sensor pairing, with the HR strap turned off.
Hr straps don't have an off switch. This is not an "easy" fix, see #2 above.
Velocomp wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 amFinally, it's possible to check to see if a HR strap is paired to AP, prior to a ride. Connect AP to Isaac, select "Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract From Device/Wireless ID". If there is a non zero number in the HR ID, then a HR strap has been paired to AP.
It is irrelevant, if a hr strap is paired prior to a ride, because it becomes re-paired when starting a calibration.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ahh...thanks for the great suggestion!

We will look at disabling HR strap pairing in profile 4 only. This is something we did not think of but should have... :o
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

John,

Have a calibration question. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

When I do the out-back calibration, I come to a complete stop when the power display reaches 50%, lifts my bike into the opposite direction and start riding back. When doing that the power display often jumps almost directly to 52%. It seems the calibration ride did not stop exactly at 50% in the outgoing direction. When I then ride back, the calibration ride stops 10-20m short of the starting point. This happened both on the Powerpod and now the Aeropod.

To confirm the accuracy my latest calibration, I did a ~18km out-back ride after the calibration with the exact same start-stop point. The average slope of that ride was 0.02% and the average wind speed-bike speed difference was 0.5km/h. Is that accurate enough for CdA measurements?

Thanks,

Morten
Attachments
iBike_11_25_2018_1504_18_km_HiDef.ibr
(504.59 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, everything is fine! The calibration is working properly and your ride file looks good.

Both slope and wind speed measurements are well within bounds.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

cj1234567890 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 am 1) Yes, I was aware of this. But even at home, I tend to get dressed before setting up my bike.

It just now occurred to me that someone riding in Florida might not appreciate the difficulties involved in taking the HRM off and putting it back on while wearing bibs and 2 base layers because it's 25 degrees outside.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Believe it or not, we do listen and care about everyone's feedback!

We will soon be posting a FW update that eliminates the HR pairing issue. On profile 4, even if you have paired a HR strap, the HR channel will still record CdA data.
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

Looking forward to that firmware. Mainly though for the ability to hit lap and see the average of the last session. Think that will be cool!

Morten