What if AeroPod could be paired to a cycling computer as a heart rate monitor?

RolfK

Post by RolfK »

Imagine a setup where the AeroPod was paired to one's cycling computer as a heart rate monitor, and one's DFPM was paired to the AeroPod as well as to the cycling computer.

The calibration process would be unchanged - it would just be the heart rate that went from 0 to 50 to 70 to 100, instead of power.

However, then, no matter if one used a Garmin, a Wahoo Bolt or whatever, one could get realtime CdA-information. And, more importantly, one could field test with any computer and could use the computer's built-in lap and averaging functionality to compare test results in the field. For me, this last point would be a huge improvement.

The Garmin Connect-App would still be useful, it would just work off of the HR datastream.

Could this be done? Perhaps as a configurable option?

Technically, I imagine it would be fairly straightforward to modify the ANT+ datastreaming from the AeroPod.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: What if AeroPod could be paired to a cycling computer as a heart rate monitor?

Post by Velocomp »

I think what you're trying to accomplish is making AP more compatible with other, non-Garmin bike computers.

I expect that a CdA profile will be issued soon by Garmin; when that happens, compatibility will be more available across all bike computers.
John Hamann
RolfK

Re: What if AeroPod could be paired to a cycling computer as a heart rate monitor?

Post by RolfK »

Yes, broader computer compatibility would be great, but being able to get CdA-averages for laps directly while testing in the field would be even better. Of course, with a official ANT+ CdA-profile, both goals can be met. That would be very nice.
EHB

Post by EHB »

What about headunits that connect via Bluetooth rather than Ant+? Have you any idea if the Bluetooth Special Interest Group are going to release a Bluetooth CdA profile? I’m thinking mostly about Bluetooth connected phone apps and the newer Suunto watches mainly.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We have heard nothing about a BLE CdA profile.
John Hamann