What is AeroPod where does it inthe whole scheme of things?

longinthetooth

What is AeroPod where does it inthe whole scheme of things?

Post by longinthetooth »

I’m a cyclist not an aeronautics engineer. My first Velocomp product was a bike computer called an ‘ibike’. It used innovative technology and algorithms to determine ‘power’, eg, CdA and Crr. A few years later I upgraded to an ‘ibike Newton’, it too was a “bike computer” using the same type of technology, looked and felt the same.

Now, like all ibike clients, I’m being encouraged to upgrade to Aeropod. My first thought was, that perhaps it is time to upgrade. But, now I’m not clear about what I am supposedly ‘upgrading’ too? It seems Aeropod is no longer a bike computer. I’m not sure what AeroPod is? It seems to be marketed as a CdA device. But what purpose does CdA have of itself? I thought CdA combined with other data enabled the algorithmic determination of Power, that was it’s purpose.

Whereas my old ibike, bike computer not only collected the data, used the algorithms in real time to calculate and present on the screen of the same device, conventional bike computer data such as Speed, Clock, Cadence, HR, but also Watts, Slope, Elevation(altitude), Wind speed, Temp, with all the standard, actual, averages, etc. Now I get the impression, AeroPod is very different. So different it seems odd to call it an ‘upgrade’. I say that because it doesn’t seem to have the same breadth of functionality at the data collection, processing or presentation levels. The only constant being Isaac as the analysis tool. Maybe I have misunderstood. But John’s comment on the thread ‘Aeropod Cda Connect IQ app to Garmin' and the reply implies that these Newton basics are no longer available, and only potential future upgrades???

Is it now just a peripheral, to other conventional Power meters, something to validate their predicted power figures. Not something every cyclist should have, just for the fanatics?

Until now, when Velocomp updated the firmware or other software, they were fully aware of the implications. Now it seems this is just one element at the hardware and software level. How can we as clients be sure that as each hardware and software component is updated they will continue to operate collectively? Data sensors for the wind, bike speed, altimetry, cadence, HR are supplied by any man or his dog! Likewise the realtime data presentation is also no longer a Velocomp product. Not even sure about the analysis tool status.

This may sound critical, that isn’t its intent. I’m still as keen about the Velocomp technological approach to presenting info to the rider. But, I feel the jigsaw is falling apart! That I am being forced to replace many of the pieces myself without a full picture.
texbiker

Re: What is AeroPod where does it inthe whole scheme of things?

Post by texbiker »

The AeroPod is an accessory for your bike computer that measures power. I use a PowerPod with a Wahoo Elemnt computer.
longinthetooth

Post by longinthetooth »

What does the AeroPod add to your PowerPod?
EHB

Post by EHB »

I liked the Newton+ too and the uncluttered Display (in daytime anyway). Modern headunits have turn-by-turn notifications, mapping, phone notifications etc. I think they had a choice between trying to compete in a market with giant sized companies or concentrate on what they do best, so I understand. I personally would have liked a full computer, but achnowledge I am in the minority in liking simple computers.

I’ve never owned a powerpod so I can’t say what differentiates them. The impression I have is that it is more accurate & has all the extras included, like powerstroke & GPS tracker.

I’m lucky in that I have an old multi sport watch already so I get all the basics. I haven’t a Garmin because I had one. It was rubbish and their support was bad, so I’m hoping the additional aero metrics get standardised into an ANT+ or BT profile for them to implement so I can get an alternative. You can also have it send power, speed, cadence to a phone fitness app which can update you over audio even if you don’t want a ginormous bike computer.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

longinthetooth wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:29 pm What does the AeroPod add to your PowerPod?
1) AeroPod is uses a new accelerometer, which improves the accuracy of power (and CdA) measurement

2) AeroPod uses a new wind sensor, which has better measurement accuracy and temperature stability

3) AeroPod has a new battery circuit which improves battery charge capacity in "sleep" mode to about 2 months

4) AeroPod has ALL optional features as standard: PowerStroke and GPS Tracker

5) AeroPod has new CdA measurement methods

6) Physical design is new
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

EHB wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:16 am I liked the Newton+ too and the uncluttered Display (in daytime anyway). Modern headunits have turn-by-turn notifications, mapping, phone notifications etc. I think they had a choice between trying to compete in a market with giant sized companies or concentrate on what they do best, so I understand. I personally would have liked a full computer, but achnowledge I am in the minority in liking simple computers.

I’ve never owned a powerpod so I can’t say what differentiates them. The impression I have is that it is more accurate & has all the extras included, like powerstroke & GPS tracker.

I’m lucky in that I have an old multi sport watch already so I get all the basics. I haven’t a Garmin because I had one. It was rubbish and their support was bad, so I’m hoping the additional aero metrics get standardised into an ANT+ or BT profile for them to implement so I can get an alternative. You can also have it send power, speed, cadence to a phone fitness app which can update you over audio even if you don’t want a ginormous bike computer.
It is nice to see this comment. You're correct that there were so many Garmins "out there" that we gave up trying to convince people to choose our combined power meter/bike computer concept. That said, I also agree that the Garmin user interface is HORRIBLE; I say that not as a competitor (because we are not any longer) but as a user. I really hate all the complex button pushing. Newton is MUCH simpler.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:28 pm
longinthetooth wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:29 pm What does the AeroPod add to your PowerPod?
1) AeroPod is uses a new accelerometer, which improves the accuracy of power (and CdA) measurement

2) AeroPod uses a new wind sensor, which has better measurement accuracy and temperature stability

3) AeroPod has a new battery circuit which improves battery discharge capacity in "sleep" mode to over 2 months

4) AeroPod has ALL optional features as standard: PowerStroke and GPS Tracker

5) AeroPod has new CdA measurement methods

6) Physical design is new
John Hamann
longinthetooth

Post by longinthetooth »

Don't take me the wrong way.

Thank you for the expanded description of Aeropod. You say that using an accelerometer improves the accuracy of power measurement. What does that mean? What inadequacy of other power measurement is being improved?

Is my jigsaw analogy appropriate? That Aeropod is just one piece. If so what are the other pieces, are some optional, others essential. How can they be assembled to provide at least what ibike/Isaac was, a real time bike computer with power meter, and analytic tools.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

longinthetooth wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:15 pm Don't take me the wrong way.

Thank you for the expanded description of Aeropod. You say that using an accelerometer improves the accuracy of power measurement. What does that mean? What inadequacy of other power measurement is being improved?

Is my jigsaw analogy appropriate? That Aeropod is just one piece. If so what are the other pieces, are some optional, others essential. How can they be assembled to provide at least what ibike/Isaac was, a real time bike computer with power meter, and analytic tools.
No worries; your questions are fine!

There are capabilities in modern-generation accelerometers that have not been available previously. We don't really want to be more specific because what we are doing is proprietary. While our earlier-generation products are fine, what we can do now helps in "edge case" riding circumstances.

AeroPod functions as a stand-alone, opposing force power meter. AeroPod with a Connect-IQ compatible bike computer will yield our traditional Newton performance (power + wind/slope data). To get to AeroPod's CdA additional features, you'll need a DFPM, and a bike computer that can read AeroPod CdA data.

If you don't have a DFPM and/or CdA-compatible bike computer, you can still use AeroPod as a next-generation power meter. And remember: we have a long tradition of adding more features to our products. You will see new stuff added to AeroPod in the future.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 pm I really hate all the complex button pushing. Newton is MUCH simpler.
I agree, but I think we might be in the minority, though you’ve made me think - I’m going to resurrect a 2013 Wahoo RFLKT+. The 4 buttons aren’t as easy to hit as the middle one on a Newton, but they’re real and don’t need special gloves. You can also design your own uncluttered screens with just the important things. The major limitation is that it requires a phone in back pocket, but I think I can now start that from the lock screen or voice command. I’ve already ordered a metal stem combo mount. Hopefully it is rigid enough.