Security Mod

EHB

Security Mod

Post by EHB »

I wouldn’t feel safe leaving the AP on the bike whilst swimming & the device has already got a bit scuffed from putting on and off, so I wondered about replacing the screw that holds the device and the two in the device with security screws that no one is likely to have a bit to undo.

As there is the same mount for Powerpod I guess this has been covered before.

I’ve measured the screw and it is;
4.68mm in diameter by roughly 15mm in length (threaded part).
I guess it is officially an M5 by 15mm.

Before I disassemble the mount to measure the screws do you know their dimensions?

I guess a secondary point is: if I remove the pitot tube to make it less noticeable and it rains will my slighltly downwards pointing device be okay? I guess because the Newton and PP didn’t need the tube it’ll be fine…

Any better idea?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Security Mod

Post by Velocomp »

EHB wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 pm I wouldn’t feel safe leaving the AP on the bike whilst swimming & the device has already got a bit scuffed from putting on and off, so I wondered about replacing the screw that holds the device and the two in the device with security screws that no one is likely to have a bit to undo.

As there is the same mount for Powerpod I guess this has been covered before.

I’ve measured the screw and it is;
4.68mm in diameter by roughly 15mm in length (threaded part).
I guess it is officially an M5 by 15mm.

Before I disassemble the mount to measure the screws do you know their dimensions?

I guess a secondary point is: if I remove the pitot tube to make it less noticeable and it rains will my slighltly downwards pointing device be okay? I guess because the Newton and PP didn’t need the tube it’ll be fine…

Any better idea?
1) I'm not 100% sure of the screw dimensions but I think your guess is correct.

2) It's OK to remove the pitot tube. If by any chance water gets into the wind port, blow it out prior to reattaching the pitot tube.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

Thanks, I had a thought about the screws for the mount anyway; loctite High strength. People don’t generally carry flamethrowers or paint removers around with them.

For the 1 bolt attaching the AP itself I think a combination of a security bolt and medium strength thread locker should be adequate.

Even with the AP my commuter bike will still be worth less than other bikes parked next to it.
EHB

Post by EHB »

Found a pack on 5 M5 by 14mm stainless steel security bolts on EBay for £0.99 from China. Hopefully they come with the special bit to tighten it up.