Mounting difficulty

ScottChapman

Mounting difficulty

Post by ScottChapman »

So just started with my new AeroPod, and I read in the instructions that it should be mounted with the pitot tube facing slight down.

My mount is basically a K-Force combo mount (Garmin/GoPro). My garmin is slightly tipped toward me when I ride, which put the pitot tube pointing up a bit...

How much of a problem is this? Should I look for some kind of adapter that lets me mount it with more of an angle (any ideas on any know adapters)?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Mounting difficulty

Post by Velocomp »

The benefit of having AP point slightly down is that, if you ride in the rain, water will have a really tough time climbing uphill into the unit.

You can point AP slightly upwards, but do NOT point it higher than 20 degrees. If you do you will run into calibration problems.
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm if you ride in the rain, water will have a really tough time climbing uphill into the unit.
Unless one climbs REALLY fast? ;-)

I guess it is less than 20 degrees, but maybe something like this would dial it in properly?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4BGZVG
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If it looks reasonably level by eye, you're OK.

That is quite the adapter you found!
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Definitely not reasonably level, probably more than 10, but maybe less than 20 degrees.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ScottChapman wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm Definitely not reasonably level, probably more than 10, but maybe less than 20 degrees.
You're OK. If you want, post a photo
John Hamann
ScottChapman

Post by ScottChapman »

Maybe in an update the mount on the AeroPod could be down 8 degrees or something.

Lots of folks have combination garmin(or wahoo)/gopro mounts, so the garmin is always tilted up a tad, which impacts the AeroPod.

I'll keep looking for a better adapter, but maybe that would be a good thing to do?

It just sort of looks like I'm a very excited cyclist (not that there anything wrong with that).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, point taken...
John Hamann