TT bike mounting

russelldb

TT bike mounting

Post by russelldb »

Hi,
I bought the TT bar mounting kit with aeropod, didn't realise it required very specific TT base bars. I was assuming it was an 22mm aero extension mounting kit. I have a trek speed concept, so nowhere with holes for that mounting kit. I'm a little annoyed by this, and if I wasn't in the UK, I'd return the mounting kit for a refund. OK, no mind. My risk of being an early adopter.

SO, what are my mounting options? I have a 22mm aerobar go pro mount that fits on my TT extensions, is it OK to mount the aeropod there? How far from the bike should it be, how low down from the aero bars, etc? I can probably get a custom mount made, if needs be, but if I do, I want it to be right, in terms of positioning the aeropod in the place that gives me most accuracy.

And if I swap it to a different TT bike? Or move the extensions/base bar up/down, is there a need to maintain some similar distance to the aeropod?

Cheers
Russell
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: TT bike mounting

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps, We have a TT mount that will work for you
John Hamann
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Done, thanks for the response.
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

I need to say that I'm very excited and eager to start testing with the device now I have it. Potential game changer.
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Genuinely confused here John, your support people did not have an answer, so much as a link to the gopro mounts grab bag.

So, back to my question: Is there any reason _not_ to use a garmin mount on the ski extensions for the aeropod? Is flex/wobble going to be an issue and effect the accuracy too much?

I don't expect velocomp to be able to solve my problem of mounting the aeropod on the SC basebars, but if you can give me some specificity about what I need to provide in terms of mounting, I can look at ways to solve the problem.

Thanks

Russell
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hi Russell:

I'm not familiar with the Garmin mount to which you are referring. Could you please provide some images?

The principle to understand is that AeroPod must be very stiffly mounted to the bike. If AeroPod can wobble at all, or vibrate because of a flexible mount, it won't work properly.
John Hamann
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Thanks. I didn't realise that a flexible mount/aerobars were an issue. I'll have a look again at your support team's suggestions, as well as some custom stuff. We have a great carbon fibre studio (Carbon Wasp) where I live, and he might have a good idea for me.
refthimos

Post by refthimos »

So I take it the Velocomp combo mount is not suitable? That is what I planned to use, as shown in the photo below:

So first question is, are you saying that mounting on the extensions will not work due to vibration? This would seem to be a very good place to get clean air, as the pitot tube is the leading edge on my bike as pictured. I run TriRig Alpha X bars, there are no extra bolt holes for an alternative mount configuration. Not sure what to do here.

You can also see that the pitot tube is not horizontal. That seems to be due to the decision to adopt a GoPro mount interface I have never seen before. One side is rounded and one side is squared off. I have been through a ton of GoPro mounts over the past 8 years, have a large bin full of all different types, and have never seen this squared off variation. Is there a reason for this? It limits the ability to rotate the Aeropod into a horizontal position.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This will not work.

1) Aerobars flex; this causes severe problems with CdA measurements.

2) You AP is pointed too high. This too will cause problems.

The flat surface on the AP allows AP to be mounted at a consistent angle. It is intentional that AP has limited rotational capability.

I think you have been in email correspondence with Tom, who has an alternative approach that should work underneath your handlebars.
John Hamann
refthimos

Post by refthimos »

I haven't had any correspondence yet, but just emailed. Thank you.
refthimos

Post by refthimos »

Is there a mounting option for bars like this, which don't use bolts in the base bar? This seems to be the direction more and more aero bars are going.

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, our under-the-bars TT mount. It looks like you have just ordered one!
John Hamann
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:29 pm This will not work.

1) Aerobars flex; this causes severe problems with CdA measurements.

2) You AP is pointed too high. This too will cause problems.

The flat surface on the AP allows AP to be mounted at a consistent angle. It is intentional that AP has limited rotational capability.

I think you have been in email correspondence with Tom, who has an alternative approach that should work underneath your handlebars.
It was me! I've been talking to Tom. He's suggested I use the gopro flat adhesive mount on the speed concept base bars. Which I guess is the current best option for me. One thing I would ask is that you update your shop site to make it clear that the TT bar mount needs a TT bar with bolt holes.

WRT the adhesive garmin mount on the base bars (makes me nervous, adhesive can come unstuck!) is it best to try and get the aeropod as central as possible? Do I want to mount it is far forward as possible in an attempt to get the pitot tube out into the air?

I guess I'll learn/find out what effect on scaling factor moving my extensions up and down has on a aeropod mounted on the base bar.
EHB

Post by EHB »

I think Tririg like between the arms bottle holders, which means two screws somewhere normally. I have a Tririg Sigma Stem and have some Aluminium sheet (cuts relatively easily for even this person with no skills and if you use a vertical and horizontal piece it is stiff). I was going to make into a custom mount that sits between the bottle and the stem. I can’t test it currently as my sweat has eaten my Tririg Omega Brake from indoor riding, which the centre pull brake facilitates. Your aerobars May have the bottle mount too high to copy my plan though. I have a completely slammed stem with the pads and aerobars raised well above it. But, stems often have a screw hole hidden on the bottom for Di2 attachment. That is my second option, but there is only one screw, compared to two on the top.
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

I think one option for integrated bars would be an alloy dual 22mm Mount, ie one on each ski bar meeting in the middle with a GoPro Mount between the two, placed as close to the stem as possible, might work

Too far forward and the vibrations will ruin the readings - tested this in beta testing and regardless of the mount the vibration at the end of the ski poles is awful.
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

Like this, only mounted as far back as possible and preferably made of metal.
Attachments
A6193901-F3E5-4B60-9F4C-AB16C0916F98.jpeg
A6193901-F3E5-4B60-9F4C-AB16C0916F98.jpeg (118.89 KiB) Viewed 15746 times
refthimos

Post by refthimos »

russelldb wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:46 pm It was me! I've been talking to Tom. He's suggested I use the gopro flat adhesive mount on the speed concept base bars. Which I guess is the current best option for me.
Are you planning on sticking the GoPro mount above (i.e. on top) or below your base bar? If would seem the latter would keep the Aeropod "right side up" but is that necessary or will it work just fine upside down? It would seem below the base bar might also get you "cleaner air" but it would also likely increase the chance your Aeropod flies off while riding and if it survived the impact with the road, you might not even realize it came off, or you might not be able to find it, or it might get chewed up through your rear spokes or run over by a car behind you...
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

As far as I can see those mounts have industrial glue on them and are the same kind that downhill MTB racers use to secure their GoPros. Seem pretty secure
refthimos

Post by refthimos »

Yeah I have a bunch of those adhesive GoPro mounts and the Aeropod is definitely very light, much lighter than a GoPro. Let us know how it works out for you.
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

The TT mount does not work at all for either my TT road bike or my TT track bike for several reasons (the main one being the size of the bolts being to big to fit through your TT mount), and the only way I can see to make it work for either one is new TT bars for both, and I'm not about to do that. What I found does seem to work is the K-Edge Garmin Pro Combo Mount (https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts ... mbo-mount/). There is just enough space between the TT extensions and the stem to attach it to the handlebars plus it extends out far enough to be accessible for easily pushing the button, on-bike battery charging, and seeing the LED. I will mount my Garmin a little further out to make it easier to see without changing my aero position too much.
Frankly I think you should list a more detailed set of requirements for the use of your TT mount or a list of compatible TT bars with which your mount will work.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Thanks for your feedback.

The one thing we have learned through the years is that, no matter how we design a mount, there will be situations where the mount won't work.

We will add additional product information to our website regarding the TT mount.

An easy workaround, if your bolts are too big to slide through the TT mount slots, is to drill-out the slots at the correct spacing.
John Hamann
russelldb

Post by russelldb »

I was about to say, but see it has been posted above, another user I know has drilled out the TT bar mount slot a little to work with his aerobars.
dtrousdale

Post by dtrousdale »

Velocomp wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 am Thanks for your feedback.

The one thing we have learned through the years is that, no matter how we design a mount, there will be situations where the mount won't work.

We will add additional product information to our website regarding the TT mount.

An easy workaround, if your bolts are too big to slide through the TT mount slots, is to drill-out the slots at the correct spacing.
There are other problems with that solution, too: because of the very curvy shape of the bracket holding the TT extensions on both my road TT and track TT bikes, I'd need at least twice the number of washers and longer bolts. Though the overall cost may be more, the K-Edge solution I suggested in another post is far simpler and has several practical advantages.
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

I've had success with a Lifeline stem mount. Quite solid and inflexible.
Attachments
IMG_3052.JPG
IMG_3052.JPG (182.26 KiB) Viewed 15629 times
IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG (161.56 KiB) Viewed 15629 times
IMG_3054.JPG
IMG_3054.JPG (232.93 KiB) Viewed 15636 times
IMG_3052.JPG
IMG_3052.JPG (180.95 KiB) Viewed 15636 times
IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG (160.67 KiB) Viewed 15637 times
evokesiron

Post by evokesiron »

Hello all -- I have the Profile Designer Aeria Ultimate bars on the way. What's my best mounting option? I already have the TT mount and road mount for the aeropod, but I'm guessing neither of these will work? Would prefer not to permanently glue something on, as I don't plan on keeping the aeropod mounted during events/etc -- just during testing. But maybe I'm out of luck in that case..

https://profile-design.com/products/aeria-ultimate-1
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

evokesiron wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:38 pm Hello all -- I have the Profile Designer Aeria Ultimate bars on the way. What's my best mounting option? I already have the TT mount and road mount for the aeropod, but I'm guessing neither of these will work? Would prefer not to permanently glue something on, as I don't plan on keeping the aeropod mounted during events/etc -- just during testing. But maybe I'm out of luck in that case..

https://profile-design.com/products/aeria-ultimate-1
Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com

Tom may have a solution for these handlebars.
John Hamann
evokesiron

Post by evokesiron »

Apparently I need to go the GoPro mount option. Anyone have experience with removing the adhesive? Will it work fine on carbon? I don't necessarily want the mount permanently stuck on..
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We have used this mount with a Trek Speed Concept bike. It works just fine. The adhesive is quite strong, but it is not impossible to remove.

Also: the mount includes two parts: a very thin piece that attaches to the underside of the TT bars with the 3M adhesive, and a "clip on" part that slides into the thin piece, onto which AeroPod is attached.

So, when you're done riding you can unclip the AeroPod from the bike. The piece attached underneath the handlebars is almost unnoticeable.
John Hamann
John

Post by John »

I am having problems figuring out where I can mount the aeropod to my TT bike. The TT mount that is sold will not work with my bike and I would rather not use a "permanent" mount. Is there a mount that would attach to the stem?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

John wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:35 am I am having problems figuring out where I can mount the aeropod to my TT bike. The TT mount that is sold will not work with my bike and I would rather not use a "permanent" mount. Is there a mount that would attach to the stem?
Please post images of your handlebar and stem.
John Hamann