USB connection - form factor is not Micro-USB

refthimos

USB connection - form factor is not Micro-USB

Post by refthimos »

So I received my 4 units yesterday:

Sent an email to my three friends who purchased with me and then opened mine up. Instructions say first thing, charge the unit. Makes sense, here we go. Oops, problem. While the box includes a standard Micro-USB cable - most of us probably have a pile of these already - the unit is not Micro-USB. In fact, I am not sure what it is.

To start, here is the Micro-USB cable that comes in the box. Standard "trapezoid" shape. Nothing surprising here.

Here is a Garmin 130, which uses a Micro-USB connection. Again, just what you would expect, the standard "trapezoid" Micro-USB form factor.

And now for the USB connection on the Aeropod. See the problem?

refthimos

Re: USB connection - form factor is not Micro-USB

Post by refthimos »

OK I figured it out. The cable goes in, you just have to eyeball the pins to make sure you are not connecting it upside down. The "standard" trapezoid Micro-USB form factor ensures you do this, as the cable will not fit in upside down.
EHB

Post by EHB »

You are right. I’ve looked at my old Newton+ too. I think it may be the same. I had always assumed it may have been me being stupid that had made it square by putting it in the wrong way. To me actually this is reassuring, if slightly confusing.

I actually use magnetic two piece things now for charging mostly and they are just insert (the right was up) and leave. I don’t like repeatedly inserting and removing connectors. I’ve just tried one head piece and it seems quite snug. Actually needs finger nails to get out. The one I have doesn’t allow communication though so I would need another type. They are tiny so no frontal area change and very small weight change.
EHB

Post by EHB »

£2.85 is the cheapest I’ve found. One of the pictures shows a little plastic spudger being needed to remove it from a phone.
https://www.zapals.com/cell-phones-acce ... cable.html