New AeroPod arrived, initial observations and questons

sebo2000

New AeroPod arrived, initial observations and questons

Post by sebo2000 »

I received my AeroPod yesterday!

First I must say: This is the coolest bike related purchase in last 8 years, back then it was my first power meter! totally amazing!!!

Few comments for new users to save them time\frustration, and also few questions.

1. I have few power meters and few smart trainers, all broadcasting power and speed ANT+ data, I have received the AeroPod attached it to my bike in my pain cave as per instructions, and thought everything is good. When I took bike outside I could not perform calibration, because I think AeroPod was paired with my tacx neo (pain cave initial setup) instead of power meter and speed sensor on the bike. Took me 30 min before I clue in. If you are pairing speed/power sensor for the first time make sure there are no other sensors around, as this is totally hands free invisible process and you can’t see what aero pod choose to pair with it. AeroPod is paring by itself with strongest power/speed sensor.

Question: I noticed there is way of specifying ANT ID in Isaac software. If I specify speed and power sensor and send it to AeroPod, will that make AeroPod work ONLY with those predefined devices? Is there any way to later without computer associate with different eg power meter? Or the only way would be to connect back to computer and change the ANT+ ID?

In single bike\user scenario predefining ANT IDs make sense and can save a lot of frustrations, but if we have few users and can’t overwrite those values without computer, one will need to be careful when associating with speed/power.

2. In calibration mode, point 7B when we read: ride out go from 1 to 50W Stop and ride back to 100W. This has nothing to do with watts, it is some kind of a counter that shows number slowly increasing in watts field. Just ride and this number will slowly increase, but it is not the power you need to ride with.

Two Questions: flyer in the box says: ride from 1-50W then go back ride till 100W, but PDF (calibration procedures) doc says ride 1-50W stop go back to 70W stop then ride till 100W . What version is correct? From looking at things I think 10-50 then to 70W is roughly the same distance, from 70W to 100W numbers increasing very slowly rough about 5 min. when going back from 50-100W would require much longer distance to complete.

Additional question: If I only have 400m loop to play with, what would be best method to calibrate on the loop like that?

Yutube Video of proper calibration showing all the “clicks” and blinking lights would be god send!

3. When adding AeroPro (point 6 in instructions) to Garmin you are actually adding new Power Meter device. If you are looking for AeroPod you will not find one, it is another power meter.

Question: Is there any way to check AeroPod ANT ID without Garmin and is there any way to change it? My Power P1 pedals and Aero Pod ID is almost identical and might confuse me at times.

4. I added Garmin IQ data field to my Garmin 1000, when AeroPod associated with wrong power meter, I could not display any data even after associating with correct power meter, I had to remove IQ data field and assign back and all data populated automatically. Rebooting Garmin didn’t work as well, only removing/adding data field help to see CdA data.

5. How can I record CdA data on my Garmin, I didn’t have my HR strap because I heard AeroPod records CdA to HR field on Garmin fit file, but in my case that field was empty? Isaac software is great, but it would be cool to have that data on Garmin as well.
Question: is there any way to have HR and CdA data on garmin recorded or alternatively on AeroPod.

6. How AeroPod can track GPS data, do I have to do anything specific, does it take that data from Garmin or independently, my google earth is grayed out.

7. Cadence sensor: I’m super interested in PowerStroke analysis. I have 3 different sensors two Garmin sensors first part number: 010-12102-00 and second combo speed/cadence Garmin GSC10 also Bontrager DuoTap that is part of the frame and seats in the middle of the chain stay.

How do I set Bontrager cadence sensor above or below chain stay? (Physically is right in the middle of the chainstay)

Final question: let’s say I did calibration incorrectly moving around changing position etc. it showed me CdA 3.5 then I ride and change\experiment with positions, will the lowest number during that particular ride be my most aero positon?

In other words: If I do not care about absolute CdA number, but I care about most aero position\setup from particular run, do I still need to go over calibration or it is not that important? I understand calibration is important if we want CdA to be close to true Cda (eg from wind tunnel) , but all I care is find out my most aero position during particular ride.

And if answer is “I do not need calibration in my case” how can I skip calibration and go to some default static values each time without calibration.

This technology is amazing, software is just incredible, it might feel overwhelming at first, but amount of cool data it provides is mind blowing, Big Thanks to creators of this tech!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: New AeroPod arrived, initial observations and questons

Post by Velocomp »

Thanks for your detailed comments.

Some responses are below:

1) You're correct that AP will pair to whatever it "hears". We say in the Tips and Troubleshooting to make sure there are no other ANT sensors nearby other than the ones you want to "find"

2) We do not recommend trying to enter IDs in Isaac. The pairing process on AP works really well. It would be really, really difficult to pre-define sensor IDs. Some ANT sensor IDs are 6 digits, some are 5, even for the same sensor!

3) Yes, the watts number shows the % completion of the calibration ride. The flyer in the box does show 0-100, but it also says "refer to the O&B calibration instructions", which describe how the number ascends from 0 to 100. With a 400 meter loop, you should go from 0 to 50 in one direction, then reverse directions and ride from 51 to 100.

4) I like the idea of a video; we will do this!

5) Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell ID numbers apart. Note, however, that AP will re-broadcast P1 data, so you don't really have to pair P1 to Garmin.

6) If your HR field was empty check AP pairing to be certain P1s are paired to AP. We will eventually update Garmin Connect IQ app to add CdA recording to it.

7) AP comes with GPS tracker capability. You'll install the Tracker app on your iOS/Android smartphone. Please consult the GPS Tracker instructions, located in the Help menu of Isaac.

8) AP will correctly show relative CdA, even if calibration isn't perfect. So yes, the lower the number the more aero you are. Calibration will occur only when you initiate it by sensor pairing or by Isaac.

Thanks for your nice comments about AP. It's a new product and we will continue to make improvements!
John Hamann
sebo2000

Post by sebo2000 »

Thank you very much for your responses all makes sense now.

Just to clarify #3 ride from 1-50 one direction and from 50 to 70 back and then just ride to 100w would that be correct? I have noticed numbers increase very slowly from 70-100W and about equally from 1-50 and from 50-70.

#6 I would love my CdA data to be saved to file. if I wear HR strap I understand it will not be. Is there any way to wear HR strap record it to Garmin and block AP from detecting HR and recording CdA instead?
Why HR is important? I also use live SmO2 (oxygen sensors) to see how position affect O2 content in my blood, increased/decreased HR influence O2. In other words; it is all connected to that perfect position where aero is balanced with our physiology, many times super aero is slower when taking physiological aspect under consideration.

New Question: Is there any way to mark/lap the time line in the AP? Eg by pressing once power button or somehow from Garmin? I would love to mark when I change position etc.

As of today I have read all docs from viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4765 and yes the answers are all there plus many more great tips, but you know… real man never read instructions… :D

We want to press the button and ride :D Being away from any ANT sources is critical, I have tested outside on my driveway and AeroPod was connecting to my Tacx Neo again instead of crank…I had to move at list 50ft from the house, and be on the road for AP to finally connect with my stages cranks.

This technology has huge potential, not only for testing equipment and setup, that is small one off piece, but for race pacing especially in conjunction with sites like bestbikesplit.com
Or testing how fatigue affects performance etc.
I’m supper excited to ride more with AP, but weather in Toronto is rainy for next we days…

If you will be doing video, please make it short and showing all the LED lights, LED lights were freaking me out (Without reading manual)

Again Huge Thanks!!!!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

sebo2000 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:07 pm Thank you very much for your responses all makes sense now.

1) Just to clarify #3 ride from 1-50 one direction and from 50 to 70 back and then just ride to 100w would that be correct? I have noticed numbers increase very slowly from 70-100W and about equally from 1-50 and from 50-70.

2) I would love my CdA data to be saved to file. if I wear HR strap I understand it will not be. Is there any way to wear HR strap record it to Garmin and block AP from detecting HR and recording CdA instead?
Why HR is important? I also use live SmO2 (oxygen sensors) to see how position affect O2 content in my blood, increased/decreased HR influence O2. In other words; it is all connected to that perfect position where aero is balanced with our physiology, many times super aero is slower when taking physiological aspect under consideration.

3) New Question: Is there any way to mark/lap the time line in the AP? Eg by pressing once power button or somehow from Garmin? I would love to mark when I change position etc.

As of today I have read all docs from viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4765 and yes the answers are all there plus many more great tips, but you know… real man never read instructions… :D

4) We want to press the button and ride :D Being away from any ANT sources is critical, I have tested outside on my driveway and AeroPod was connecting to my Tacx Neo again instead of crank…I had to move at list 50ft from the house, and be on the road for AP to finally connect with my stages cranks.

This technology has huge potential, not only for testing equipment and setup, that is small one off piece, but for race pacing especially in conjunction with sites like bestbikesplit.com
Or testing how fatigue affects performance etc.
I’m supper excited to ride more with AP, but weather in Toronto is rainy for next we days…

If you will be doing video, please make it short and showing all the LED lights, LED lights were freaking me out (Without reading manual)

Again Huge Thanks!!!!
1) Correct. 70-100 takes about 6 minutes

2) When you do your AeroPod pairing, make sure your HR strap is "off" or is far, far away. That way it won't be picked up by AP and you will get CdA in your ride file

3) If you are using Raptor, you can mark laps by touching the temple. Otherwise, you'll need to mark laps after the ride in Isaac

4) Yes, you have to be at least 50 ft away from any sensor you do not want to detect

5) Hopefully we will make a video very soon!
John Hamann