AeroPod CdA Connect IQ app for Garmin

ChrisW

Re: AeroPod CdA Connect IQ app for Garmin

Post by ChrisW »

In 2018, you admitted that showing wind speed in mph even when the device units is set to metric was a bug. In 2019, someone asked when this would be fixed. It's now 2020 and it STILL hasn't been fixed. Doing mental unit conversions in my head while riding is not so much fun.

Is this something that can be fixed soon? If it's too complicated to do so then maybe you could give two links to different versions of the app, one that shows metric units and one that shows imperial units. It can't be that hard. Having a high-tech device that can only display awkward and unscientific units of measurement seems very incongruous.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

When we created the ConnectIQ app we did not implement metric units. So, its absence is a missing feature, not a bug.

As I have reported elsewhere, we have been waiting for Garmin to implement an aero profile. It makes little sense to spend effort on our app if a standard profile is coming.

We will think about implementing an additional version of the app, with metric units.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Update: our app developer is busy with other projects. A metric version of our app will not happen in the near future.

If you know a developer who is familiar with ConnectIQ apps please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com. Perhaps we can work out something.
John Hamann
TuRu00

Post by TuRu00 »

Great! forgot just the 90% of the world.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:47 pm When we created the ConnectIQ app we did not implement metric units. So, its absence is a missing feature, not a bug.
"Major oversight" would be a more appropriate description than "missing feature", this is part of basic functionality.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am
Velocomp wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:47 pm When we created the ConnectIQ app we did not implement metric units. So, its absence is a missing feature, not a bug.
"Major oversight" would be a more appropriate description than "missing feature", this is part of basic functionality.
The purpose of our ConnectIQ app is to display AeroPod's unique data: CdA and Time Advantage. Real-time display of wind and slope is not required for CdA/Time Advantage presentation, so these data are a bonus, not part of basic functionality.

That said, it certainly would be nice to have wind data presentable in metric units (though this would add to the complexity of the app).

This is an active topic also on the PowerPod forum, so I thought I would link it here:

https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=5471

Here is a summarization of everything:

1) Garmin has not yet implemented a standardized aero profile
2) When Garmin eventually issues the profile, both sensors (AeroPod) and bike computers (Garmin, Wahoo) will need to implement the profile in order for it to have any utility. In other words, until Garmin et al creates screens which display CdA data, it will make no difference if AeroPod transmits it in their standard format. We have zero control over bike computer development schedules.
3) Our ConnectIQ app was developed about 2 years ago. We have asked our developer to update our app to add a metric version. His response was that, in order to update the app, he first has to update his macOS. The last time he updated his macOS it "broke" many of his critical development tools, such that it took him a couple of weeks to get his computer working again. He is thus unwilling to update his macOS, and I can't fault him for that decision.

We originally created our ConnectIQ app with the thought that the app would be a short-term bridge to the anticipated standard CdA profile being worked-on by Garmin. Clearly, it has taken much longer than we expected.

If you would like to work on creating a metric version of our app, please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

Do the draft/beta proposals for an ANT CdA profile include non wind speed and aero drag measurements?
Are any other AeroPod relevant profiles being proposed for addition to the standard (e.g. altimeter or accelerometer)?
I'm thinking about measurements like altitude, barometric pressure, slope/grade, attitude etc.
I would like to select individual items that aeropod measures (or calculates) as single data fields in the screens I set up on my garmin bike computer.
If items like altitude and slope/grade are not being added to the standard, would velocomp consider a separate IQ app (or apps) to make these items available as single item data fields?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ted.kelly wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:57 pm Do the draft/beta proposals for an ANT CdA profile include non wind speed and aero drag measurements?
Are any other AeroPod relevant profiles being proposed for addition to the standard (e.g. altimeter or accelerometer)?
I'm thinking about measurements like altitude, barometric pressure, slope/grade, attitude etc.
I would like to select individual items that aeropod measures (or calculates) as single data fields in the screens I set up on my garmin bike computer.
If items like altitude and slope/grade are not being added to the standard, would velocomp consider a separate IQ app (or apps) to make these items available as single item data fields?
We have very dated knowledge of Garmin's aero profile development activity. We have chosen not to be participants in the aero profile development; there are important reasons for this.

That said, what little we know makes us believe that the entire "kitchen sink" of every possible aero parameter is being tossed into the aero profile. Your desired list is only the tip of their iceberg...

What is important to understand here is that the aero profile covers two topics: what the sensor transmits, and what the bike computer displays. If the profile specification included, as an example, the phase of the moon at the time of the aero testing, then an aero sensor might, potentially, include moon phase information in its aero data transmission. But even it it did transmit the moon's phase, the phase of the moon would be shown on the bike computer screen only if the bike computer manufacturer chose to display it.

In other words, we have zero control of what aero information the bike computer manufacturer chooses to display from the aero profile data transmitted, and in what format. Single field selection is totally out of our control.

Could we use a standardized aero profile to create a new ConnectIQ app? Sure, but then what is the point of adopting the aero profile? ConnectIQ apps work only on Garmin products, and there are a lot of bike computer manufacturers other than Garmin. We would like to move to a standard aero profile, but that is so that we can get out of the business of developing ConnectIQ apps.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Notice anything different?

Post by Velocomp »

This is thanks to our AeroPod user Oleksiy. The new ConnectIQ app with metric units option should be released in a few days.
Attachments
IMG_1564.jpeg
IMG_1564.jpeg (252.35 KiB) Viewed 26547 times
John Hamann
mir

Re: Notice anything different?

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:24 am This is thanks to our AeroPod user Oleksiy. The new ConnectIQ app with metric units option should be released in a few days.
Kudos to Oleksiy ;) Looking forward to download this version.
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

An observation for those owning PowerPods, not AeroPods - and others may not agreee, for sure:

If this had been designed a little differently - one line having wind and slope, the other with Cda and time advantage - and as two separate setups not a 2 by 2 - but 2 separate 1 by 2 boxes - those with PowerPods would not have to see the other two useless parameters (for PP users).

Don't get me wrong, I am still thankful that the two useful data fields were made available long before Garmin puts some standard out that allows everyone to just design their own screen. Sometimes a bit more thought in how something will be displayed does have its purpose.

Wind | Slope

Cda | Time advantage

I am not asking anything to be done with the current situation - But If Oleskiy would like to crank another option -- so much the better and no expectations until Garmin does what they should have done some time ago.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lorduintah wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:20 pm
Wind | Slope

Cda | Time advantage

I am not asking anything to be done with the current situation - But If Oleskiy would like to crank another option -- so much the better and no expectations until Garmin does what they should have done some time ago.
Noted
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

John Hamann
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

Hi John,

considering wind vector only in the direction of the bike travel, seems that app/display shows actual natural wind, that is Aeropod measured wind minus bike speed. I know this since on a no-wind day, display is near 0mph regardless of bike speed. Can the display be tailored to show only measured wind, meaning, the wind that you feel while riding?

Thanks,
Chuck
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Short answer: no :-(

On a day with no ground wind, total opposing wind speed is your bike speed.
John Hamann
crwheelr

Post by crwheelr »

Hi John,

regarding Cda app Wind Speed, I think it would be preferable to some to display the measured wind speed. This is what the rider feels and the source of air resistance. For future enhancement, nice to have option for Actual wind speed and relative wind speed.

thx,
Chuck
lorduintah

Post by lorduintah »

I do not think wind direction is a possibility - the bike is moving and the wind sensor is in a fixed position relative to the handle bar - which is also changing direction relative to the overall direction of motion as one steers.

To actually provide a wind direction like the one you may see from a weather station, you would need to have a wind section constant pointing in one direction, which often will not be the direction of motion.

What you do get from the AP or PP is the relative wind force (converted by calibration) into the wind speed coming into the wind port on one of the power meters.

I can easily determine from this wind reading am I ringing into a headwind or a tail wind and the effective speed that is present.

Tom
stavrosd2006

Post by stavrosd2006 »

Has any one else experienced dashes on all indications?
Removed and reinstalled app on my Garmin Fenix 6x with no help.
Strange, it worked flawlesly in the past, trying to figure out if it is my fault.

Stavros D.
stavrosd2006

Post by stavrosd2006 »

stavrosd2006 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:05 pm Has any one else experienced dashes on all indications?
Removed and reinstalled app on my Garmin Fenix 6x with no help.
Strange, it worked flawlesly in the past, trying to figure out if it is my fault.

Stavros D.
Yeap, it was my fault,i must use profile 3 for app to work.