AeroPod CdA Connect IQ app for Garmin

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

AeroPod CdA Connect IQ app for Garmin

Post by Velocomp »

AeroPod ConnectIQ app is available here:

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/f542 ... 3f3504b1e2

This app installs a new data field on Connect-IQ-compatible Garmin devices. Here is a link to compatible Garmin devices:

https://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq ... e-devices/

Instructions for installing and using the app are attached.
Attachments
AeroPod CdA_081920.pdf
(3.12 MiB) Downloaded 475 times
John Hamann
John

Re: AeroPod CdA Connect IQ app for Garmin

Post by John »

Can one customize the data displayed on the head unit or is that determined by the Connect IQ app? I would love to be able to see the following information while doing a time trial:

CdA
Heart Rate
Current Watts
Avg. Watts
Distance Traveled
Elapsed Time

I have an "old fashioned" Newton+ so I am not familiar with the newer head units.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No customization right now...we have to leave SOMETHING for change later on... :-)
John Hamann
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I've installed the CdA Connect IQ app on my Garmin Edge 1030, but the wind speed data field shows 'mph' for the units. My device is set to use metric units and all other fields are shown in metric, so why isn't wind speed also metric?

It appears that because I had to manually put the app onto the device, the app doesn't appear in Garmin Express, so I cannot access any Settings options there. However, this shouldn't be something that I need to correct myself, I would expect the app to automatically use the units that the device is set for. Am I missing some simple solution? I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person in the world who finds miles to be an archaic and awkward unit of measurement.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, this is a bug we will need to fix in an upcoming release.
John Hamann
shadowmate

Post by shadowmate »

Hi Guys. I cant get this to work, I'm putting the PRG file in the APP directory of the 820 but it just disappears. Also do you have a timeframe for the official app as at the moment i cant use it.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

What do you mean, "disappears"? When you open the App folder after installing the program, are you saying that it is not there?
John Hamann
shadowmate

Post by shadowmate »

Yeah it just vanishes. The other Apps PRG files are all weird numbers and these have other files associated with them in other directories which i assume happens when the garmin installs the app or widget etc, but yes the file vanishes.
shadowmate

Post by shadowmate »

I tried putting it in the new files flder as well this time and its now there. its there now so happy. Thanks.
syll1914

Post by syll1914 »

Hi! I have a problem ..Cda not working for me..I have a DFPM from watteam dual..speed and cadence also from garmin..and garmin 1030 edge device..i tried all the possibilities...i can t see numbers..just ___ _ ___ ...to reset all and to recalibrate again?..or not working with this DFPM?
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

I think that means your speed/cadence meter either isn’t paired or transmitting
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

syll1914 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:18 pm Hi! I have a problem ..Cda not working for me..I have a DFPM from watteam dual..speed and cadence also from garmin..and garmin 1030 edge device..i tried all the possibilities...i can t see numbers..just ___ _ ___ ...to reset all and to recalibrate again?..or not working with this DFPM?
1) Make sure AP is set to profile 4. CdA won't work in any other profile

2) Make sure AP is on, with a solid green light (paired to speed sensor). AP transmits CdA data only when it is paired to speed sensor

3) If you're still having problems (both 1 and 2 are true), then delete the CdA field from your Garmin, then re-create it.

It should work just fine with your DFPM.
John Hamann
syll1914

Post by syll1914 »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 am
syll1914 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:18 pm Hi! I have a problem ..Cda not working for me..I have a DFPM from watteam dual..speed and cadence also from garmin..and garmin 1030 edge device..i tried all the possibilities...i can t see numbers..just ___ _ ___ ...to reset all and to recalibrate again?..or not working with this DFPM?

2) Make sure AP is on, with a solid green light (paired to speed sensor). AP transmits CdA data only when it is paired to speed sensor

3) If you're still having problems (both 1 and 2 are true), then delete the CdA field from your Garmin, then re-create it.

wasn t set to profile 4..that was my problem..thank you...now i just want to know how can i recalibrate because i made one in my room just to see if it s working..i want to go outside to make a properly calibration..thank you!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

syll1914 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:39 am
Velocomp wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 am

wasn t set to profile 4..that was my problem..thank you...now i just want to know how can i recalibrate because i made one in my room just to see if it s working..i want to go outside to make a properly calibration..thank you!
Do a sensor pairing in profile 4. This will force a calibration ride. ALSO, you should delete profile 1, using the command "Device/"Setup/Reset Profile/Profile 1"
John Hamann
syll1914

Post by syll1914 »

I made a new calibration today but was a really windy day..i don t think was a good calibration..the values were too low and also CDA ..same position on bike but a different slope ..0,120..sometimes 0,175...0,200..the weather will not be very good these days it s ok to make a calibration in a autopark..some turns- 4, no wind, almost a constant speed, slope..better?
WilsonT

Post by WilsonT »

Are there any updates to the connectiq app coming? Been waiting for a while to see the fix for the bug mentioned above for wind speed showing in mph when the device is set to metric...!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are waiting for ANT+ to issue a standard. Then we will update things.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

I’ve finally got a device with Connect IQ, or will shortly. Garmin have recently released a new streamlined way of getting apps onto the device. Just searched in the new ‘connect IQ’ App for you. Can’t see it. I’ve tried ‘aeropod’ and ‘velocomp’: are you in the Connect IQ store?
ted.kelly

Post by ted.kelly »

I don't thin the AP garmin IQ app/data field is in the garmin store yet. You need to grab the *.zip file (and the instruction pdf) from the first post in this thread.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

ted.kelly wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:13 pm I don't think the AP garmin IQ app/data field is in the garmin store yet. You need to grab the *.zip file (and the instruction pdf) from the first post in this thread.
Correct.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

The device I’ve purchased is still on pre-order (Edge 530). The predicted shipping is mid-May, although I wouldn’t be surprised if it was later. Is the aeropod Connect IQ thing going to appear in the Connect IQ store and, if so, do you guess it will appear by then?
EHB

Post by EHB »

10th of May. Just had another look in the Connect IQ store. I still don’t think it is there. Am I wasting my time looking?
BillOsler

Post by BillOsler »

The impression I have from prior posts is that the Velocomp Connect IQ app won't be in the Garmin app store any time soon. My guess is that the current app will have to be updated if/when there is an Ant+ standard for communicating CdA and related data.
I hope that whenever that happens the app will have a MAJOR revision and that it will be able to record the CdA estimates/... in "developer fields" or standard data fields in the FIT files that we can then analyze in WKO4 or Golden Cheetah. From my perspective the less time I have to spend fooling with Isaac the better. Isaac sort of gets the job done ... but it could stand to be updated with more attention to user-friendliness and better documentation.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We are waiting for the ANT standard to appear.
John Hamann
syll1914

Post by syll1914 »

still nothing new?...or maybe at least u can change the wind speed from miles in km...and maybe u can add something to see battery level...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

syll1914 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:38 pm still nothing new?...or maybe at least u can change the wind speed from miles in km...and maybe u can add something to see battery level...
We continue to get "beta" specifications for the CdA standard. This is what happens when you have a ton of companies involved...

It makes no sense for us to spend resources to modify our Connect IQ app; soon (we hope) there will be a standard that will allow bike computer manufacturers to provide standard display screens.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Is this for AeroPod only or can it be used with Powerpod as well?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 am Is this for AeroPod only or can it be used with Powerpod as well?
Our AeroPod_ConnectIQ app works with PowerPod V3 to display wind and slope data. For PowerPod, CdA and Time Advantage are constant numbers that do not change; CdA and TA real-time numbers are available only with AeroPod models.

Get the AeroPod_ConnectIQ app installation and usage instructions here:

https://velocompforum.com//viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4765
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Nice, Thanks.

A feature request: Would it be possible to have the wind speed field be a toggle between displaying wind speed and wind direction?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:51 pm Nice, Thanks.

A feature request: Would it be possible to have the wind speed field be a toggle between displaying wind speed and wind direction?
Wind is represented by a "vector". A wind vector has magnitude (how strong is the wind) and direction (from which direction is the wind coming).

When riding a bike the total wind vector (apparent wind) is the sum wind from natural sources, and wind caused by the bike moving through the air.

We measure the magnitude of relative wind in the direction the cyclist travels. We do not measure wind direction that is perpendicular to the direction of travel.

From the total wind speed measured we subtract the bike speed. So, for example, if there is zero natural wind, then the wind speed reported by the app is "0" (i.e. there is no natural wind). If the cyclist is riding into a 5 mph headwind, then "5" is the number reported by the app. If the cyclist is riding with a 5 mph tail wind, "-5" is the number reported by the app.
John Hamann