AeroPod and mountain biking

GooseRider

AeroPod and mountain biking

Post by GooseRider »

Hi,

I am thinking about getting an AeroPod so I can (in priority order):

1. Measure power on my Enduro mountain bike
2. Optimize CdA on my road bike for racing
3. Have a portable solution for rental bikes when I travel.

The AeroPod seems like a very good solution for 2 and 3. I am little concerned about 1. Does AeroPod measure power well on a full suspension Enduro mountain bike? I will not be able to lock out my front fork or rear suspension. I like to do technical climbs and need the suspension to be active. I want to cross train with my mountain bike using Xert as my main software. It is very important that all my mountain bike activities are correctly represented so they can be fit into my training regiment.

So what is the recommendation: buy AeroPod or get a strain gage power meter for the mountain bike?

Thanks,

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: AeroPod and mountain biking

Post by Velocomp »

For 2 and 3, AeroPod is perfect.

The faster response of AeroPod FW to changing slope conditions will serve you well on MTB. It should allow more flexibility for full suspension applications.

I would get AeroPod for 2 and 3, and see how well it works for you for 1.
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

And I can remove the pitot tube for non-CdA applications to make it a little less likely to be damaged, right?

Also, what is the distance from the underside of the handlebars to the underside of the AeroPod? Just want to make sure it clears.

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, you can remove the pitot tube. Make sure you do an O&B for this configuration.

AeroPod extends ¾ inch below the tab. For comparison, PowerPod extends 2 inches below the tab.
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

John,

Could you also help with a measurement using your handlebar mount from the underside of the handlebars to the underside of the AeroPod?

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1 ¾ inches
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

Hi John,

Would it be possible to tape over the wind port when using the Aeropod enduro mountain biking? Just thinking that all the power mountain biking goes to overcoming gravity and rolling resistance whereas wind resistance only matter downhill with little pedaling. Taping over the windport would avoid dust entering the aeropod.

Any latest view of what rolling resistance to use for 650cx2.5 tire inflated to 23 psi? Also, understood that 10sec averaging would be a good idea?

Thanks,

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) You can tape the wind port, and yes, it won't have any real effect when you're hill climbing

2) I would use .009 as a starting Crr. 10s is a good averaging value for off road MTB rides.
John Hamann