Idiot's guide to pairing

DavidTriska

Idiot's guide to pairing

Post by DavidTriska »

NOTE:

The original post is great but wasn't quite perfect; AP NEEDS TO BE PAIRED TO SENSORS BEFORE pairing AP to the Garmin. And, it's not necessary to click AP button after a cal ride.

SO: the original post has been edited a bit to make it 100% correct. The instructions below can be used with confidence!

John

----------------------

I was trying to explain to a few people how to pair for calibration successfully; folks were tripping up in the instruction leaflets

I distilled it down to this simple set of instructions. Hope it helps (sure John will correct if I missed something)

Do this:

1.Turn on Garmin.

2. Spin your PM

3. Calibrate PM

4.turn on Aeropod

5. Change Aeropod to profile 4 if not done so already (use Isaac or PowerHouse Bike app)

6. Spin the HECK out of your speed and PM sensors

7. Pair AeroPod to your speed/PM sensors (hold Aeropod button for 4s, until it flashes green, then release)

NB: a possible pairing mistake is when AeroPod "red light of death" happens at the end of AeroPod sensor pairing. If AeroPod flashed yellow 3 times during pairing, your PM was found by AeroPod. Red light after that means speed sensor was not found by AeroPod. Spin the HECK out of that speed sensor again, then do the pairing process again. This seems to be a common point to trip up.

8. Pair to Garmin (find on PM page and click connect)

9. Do your cal
Schubi

Re: Idiot's guide to pairing

Post by Schubi »

I am completely stuck trying to make this work for the last two weeks. I understand that the AP should show up in my garmin 520 under Settings>Sensors? But I dont see it. Any advice? Thank you!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Schubi wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm I am completely stuck trying to make this work for the last two weeks. I understand that the AP should show up in my garmin 520 under Settings>Sensors? But I dont see it. Any advice? Thank you!
Before pairing to your Garmin you have to have AP paired to your ANT+ speed sensor.

When AP is paired to your speed sensor, when you click AP button it will show solid green (or solid yellow, if you have not completed the cal ride). If you see flashing green then AP is not paired to your speed sensor, and you won't be able to find AP on your Garmin.

Please check out this video:

https://youtu.be/198XSnl6gnA

If you're still having problems after all this please email jhamann@velocomp.com for next steps
John Hamann
Schubi

Post by Schubi »

Thank you John

I will try again. I have a Quarq Powermeter, so I assumed that the speed sensor within the PM should be picked up at the same time as power is displayed? I only ever got the 3 yellow flashes and the green flashing and then the red. I never gotten the solid green or solid yellow light.
I tried it both indoors (would that work?) and on a ride outdoors.
So just ride faster when outdoors, the speed sensor within the PM is the culprit?
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

Red light of death means speed sensor didn’t pair I think
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

Ah and I’ve just spotted a significant issue - Quarq do not have a speed sensor built in. You most definitely need a separate one. Would recommend Garmin hub sensor
Schubi

Post by Schubi »

Oh that is an important detail! Thank you! I just ordered one.