First impressions

DavidTriska

First impressions

Post by DavidTriska »

Had confidence in Aeropod having beta tested the firmware with my old Newton. Pleased to say this is proving to be well placed confidence.

Two long rides with Aeropod this weekend, howling games and rain.

The CdA tracked really well, little issue with conditions (until the last few miles of today with flash flooding the rain was so heavy)

Once calibrated it performed perfectly. Accuracy and precision seemed excellent (CdA believable in the various configurations and positions).

Well done team Velocomp.
russelldb

Re: First impressions

Post by russelldb »

Are you in the UK?

While I think notio konect's road show based release might be overkill, I personally would love a little experts hands on training for using this device, or at least a decent length video instruction.
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

Hi Russel,

I am yes, just outside Guildford.

I agree the roadshow is a bit mentals - but it does show what the truth is about this stuff, it is NOT like strapping on a power meter. There is a lot of variance to control.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We will be working on some videos...
John Hamann
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

What would be really awesome would be an app driven calibration- click icon to pair, click to start etc with display on Garmin.

Is that possible? I guess there is 2-way BT with the Powerhouse app
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

DavidTriska wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm What would be really awesome would be an app driven calibration- click icon to pair, click to start etc with display on Garmin.

Is that possible? I guess there is 2-way BT with the Powerhouse app
Apps are not easy...but we could do a video that you would watch on your smartphone...
John Hamann
DavidTriska

Post by DavidTriska »

That would help for sure - I think for people who’ve never touched a Velocomp product before the first time might be a bit confusing. Once you’ve done it, like anything else is second nature
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

DavidTriska wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 pm That would help for sure - I think for people who’ve never touched a Velocomp product before the first time might be a bit confusing. Once you’ve done it, like anything else is second nature
We're on it...
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

I have a Shimano cm1000 camera. It communicates the mode using combination of different colour LEDs. I don’t think I will ever understand it. I don’t ever change the mode and it just sits on 720p at 60fps.

The one thing I would do differently is the selection of LEDs. 5% of the male population is colour blind and the majority are red-green. It is probably super obvious to you but I spent quite a long time trying to decide if a light was green or red today.

There are phone apps, but I find they vary what colour they are looking at depending on which bit of the LED you point it at. There are equivalent opposite simulator video apps that pretend you are colour blind.

I had a wrist based heart rate monitor that could flash different colours depending on HR zone. Most useless thing ever.

Actually, I have a battery charger that does only red and green. That is even more pointless & I just leave them charging overnight.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

EHB wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 pm I have a Shimano cm1000 camera. It communicates the mode using combination of different colour LEDs. I don’t think I will ever understand it. I don’t ever change the mode and it just sits on 720p at 60fps.

The one thing I would do differently is the selection of LEDs. 5% of the male population is colour blind and the majority are red-green. It is probably super obvious to you but I spent quite a long time trying to decide if a light was green or red today.

There are phone apps, but I find they vary what colour they are looking at depending on which bit of the LED you point it at. There are equivalent opposite simulator video apps that pretend you are colour blind.

I had a wrist based heart rate monitor that could flash different colours depending on HR zone. Most useless thing ever.

Actually, I have a battery charger that does only red and green. That is even more pointless & I just leave them charging overnight.
We will give this serious consideration. Perhaps we can find a different combination of LEDs.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

Please go blue for one in future devices. It is at the end of the visual spectrum. Also it activates peripheral vision, whereas red light doesn’t.

They obviously designed traffic lights before we knew about visual pigments, but we’ve known for not far off half a century that all of the usual peripheral pigments are activated most by blue light and hardly anything by red light. If traffic lights were a new invention no way they would use red, although clothing manufacturers use bright red cycling clothing still - so maybe the person in charge would also…

I guess where this sits on the bike you want errors to be noticed in people’s peripheries…red and black are virtually identical in the periphery for all humans. You can easily look this up to check. It’s such old news that I can’t even suggest an author to look up (cos they’re probably dead by now).
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

EHB wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm Please go blue for one in future devices. It is at the end of the visual spectrum. Also it activates peripheral vision, whereas red light doesn’t.

They obviously designed traffic lights before we knew about visual pigments, but we’ve known for not far off half a century that all of the usual peripheral pigments are activated most by blue light and hardly anything by red light. If traffic lights were a new invention no way they would use red, although clothing manufacturers use bright red cycling clothing still - so maybe the person in charge would also…

I guess where this sits on the bike you want errors to be noticed in people’s peripheries…red and black are virtually identical in the periphery for all humans. You can easily look this up to check. It’s such old news that I can’t even suggest an author to look up (cos they’re probably dead by now).
Got it...
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

Today I did my first real test and I must say it was a disappointment. I had done one ride after the calibration and everything seemed OK.
Today I did a touring ride of about 85 km and after less than half an hour power readings were off. Conditions were not so good: rather foggy and cold but I thought I was OK since I had the pitot tube attached and pointing slightly down.
AP_2018_10_20_0927_85_km_HiDef_RAW.ibr
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 178 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Were you riding in rain?
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:30 pm Were you riding in rain?
No, in fog. To be clear, I didn't draft for one meter.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, that makes sense. Fog mist is nearly impossible to prevent from entering the wind port. Rain is much easier to control.
John Hamann
amet

Post by amet »

OK, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
Of course I don't ride that often in these conditions (for one it's not that safe) but it can happen. With a route analysis of the ride I got reasonable results but during the ride I had figures shown were mostly nonsense.
Yesterday I did an other ride in fair conditions and this time it worked fine. Only something must have gone wrong at the end of the ride. I had to do a reset to get it communicating with Isaac and the ride I downloaded showed 0 km and 0 m climbing. After an analysis of device settings everything was back to normal though. Let's hope this was a one time fluke.