Powerhouse app crashes

BillOsler

Powerhouse app crashes

Post by BillOsler »

I'm new to Powerhouse since I started using Aeropod. My old Newton doesn't have BLE so the app was not relevant.
I'm running Powerhouse 2.0.2 on iOS 11.4.1
I've noticed a couple of things when try to use Powerhouse.
The Powerhouse app seems to connect OK to my Aeropod but when I check for sensors the only sensor listed is Powerpod.
If I try to initiate a scan for sensors within the app the app always crashes on the first attempt. I can re-start the app and then sometimes it crashes, sometimes it shows a scan.
When the Powerhouse DOES successfully initiate a scan it will list my Powertap DFPM and then the label on the displayed sensor changes to Powerpod. The app never shows more than one sensor and never shows my Garmin speed sensor, it's either Powertap or Powerpod.
Aside from the repeated app crashes is what I am seeing the expected behavior?
Is there any way to tell from within the app whether the speed sensor paired successfully?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerhouse app crashes

Post by Velocomp »

We've noticed the crash issue too, but it happens only sometimes, and it happens only when you manually attempt to pair the app to the AeroPod.

Fortunately, you don't have to do a manual pairing. Just wait for the checkbox to appear next to the sensor.

Yes, it says "PowerPod"--this name is hard wired into the BLE chip, and right now, PowerPod and AeroPod share the same chip.

The only sensor you will see in the app is the power sensor. Speed sensor will not be shown. The app does not scan for the speed sensor, so it won't tell you if the speed sensor paired.
John Hamann
BillOsler

Re: Powerhouse app crashes

Post by BillOsler »

Velocomp wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:42 am The only sensor you will see in the app is the power sensor. Speed sensor will not be shown. The app does not scan for the speed sensor, so it won't tell you if the speed sensor paired.
Unfortunately that means that there is no way of determining which sensors paired successfully with the Aeropod until the files are loaded in Isaac?
Perhaps a more informative information set in the app should be added to the "Wish List" for future updates. It would be nice to be able to verify that speed and cadence sensors paired successfully ... and that the HRM did not ... before launching into CdA testing.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerhouse app

Post by Velocomp »

There is exactly one sensor that pairs with the PowerHouse app--the AeroPod/PowerPod (remember, it's the same chip). The app will confirm that the power signal from AP/PP is being transmitted, in BLE format. The app does not receive signals in ANT format.

For CdA testing, the ONLY reason to use the PowerHouse app might be to set AeroPod to Profile 4 while in the field. If AeroPod was set to profile 4 using Isaac (recommended), then I cannot think of any reason to use the PowerHouse app.

During the initial AeroPod sensor pairing process, the status light flashes red three times if a separate, crank-arm mounted cadence sensor is found. It flashes yellow 3 times when the DFPM is found. It turns solid green, then off, when the speed sensor is found and the pairing process is complete.

During normal use, after awakening your sensors, awaken AP. When its status light shows solid green, all available sensors are paired.

If you want to confirm that your speed and cadence sensors are working, check your Garmin screen.

We are working on a firmware update that will record CdA in profile 4, irrespective of HR strap pairing.
John Hamann