PowerPod showing extremely high wattage numbers midway through rides.

BBQcyclist

PowerPod showing extremely high wattage numbers midway through rides.

Post by BBQcyclist »

Dear John,

I have 3 Powerpods.
One of them is showing extremely high wattage numbers midway through rides. As high as 2-3000 or more watts!
Have tried resetting back to factory condition and re-calibrating it several times with the out and back rides.
No, the handlebar, or the PP mount is not moving during rides.
Yes, sometimes it shows what seem to be valid wattages, then for no apparent reason, wattage goes up astronomically high, for 5-10-15 minutes at a time.
No, this does not happen only during the first 8 minutes of a ride, it happens even an hour or 2 or 3 into my rides.

As you can understand, this is frustrating. I'm attaching 2 ride files, clearly showing the issue.

Please help,

Kind regards
Attachments
Velocomp_10_03_2023_0353_39_Miles.ibr
(570.96 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Velocomp_10_02_2023_0320_45_Miles.ibr
(810.86 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod showing extremely high wattage numbers midway through rides.

Post by Velocomp »

Your accelerometer is misbehaving.

I would do a hard reset of the unit, then a new cal ride.

If that doesn't straighten things out then you can send it in for service, but I'm not confident we will be able to fix it.
John Hamann
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Hello,

"Your accelerometer is misbehaving.

I would do a hard reset of the unit, then a new cal ride.

If that doesn't straighten things out then you can send it in for service, but I'm not confident we will be able to fix it."

As explained in my message - I've already tried hard resetting several times, followed by the obligatory out-and-back calibration ride. The files sent were the latest ones - after doing all that.

So, what are my options, if I send my unit in and the accelerometer isn't fixable?

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps
John Hamann
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Dear John,

I sent an email to the mail to: technicalsupport@velocomp.com address 1 week ago, but still no reply.

Plesse advise,
Thank you
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Hello,

So, after contacting technical support and exchanging a few trouble-shooting emails back-forth, we have unfortunately ascertained that the Powerpod unit's accelerometer I was referring to in these posts, is broken and unfix-able because no more parts nor replacement units are available - or have been available for a while now. Too bad / so sad for me.

Today, I went for a quick ride outside (as it was unseasonably warm for Nov 16 here) - including about 450 meters of climbing/descending, using another bike - equipped with another Powerpod (version V5), which was calibrated twice (August and October). While riding, I noticed several times that the unit was showing very generous power numbers throughout the ride - by at least 1-200 watts or more. Even once while descending and I'd stopped pedaling, near the bottom of the descent, I turned the pedals only a few revolutions and the unit showed 300-400 watts!

I am now concerned that a similar defect is afflicting this newer unit - which was purchased directly from Velocomp in Florida, 15.5 months ago and has been barely used since, as I was using the other 2 Powerpod-equipped bikes I own.

I have attached today's ride file for your perusal and hopefully to help find out why the overly generous wattage numbers.

Regards
Attachments
Velocomp_11_16_2023_1446_21_Miles.ibr
(309.56 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Things are OK. There is no problem with your accelerometer.

On downhills everything has to be in perfect balance in order to obtain around zero watts when soft pedaling.

In your case the wind calibration seems low (there is a near constant tail wind). This means that downhill gravity acceleration is not correctly offset by downhill wind forces. The result is high phantom watts.

You should do another cal ride when circumstances permit. Hopefully that will help things some. But the ultimate way to avoid phantom watts on downhills is to not pedal...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 9.33.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 9.33.11 AM.png (268.15 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
John Hamann
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Thanks for the swift reply.

Therefore:
1) No more pedalling ever on downhills (even slightly) if reliable and valid power numbers are expected.

2) Will try a 3rd calibration ride if weather permits - otherwise will leave it for next season.

3) Any good tips or hacks to help assures a *good* calibration ride? I ask, bc there are somewhat varying instructions out there - including your online versions vs a YouTube version you also have online.

Regards,
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you're pedaling on a downhill because you are working hard to go even faster, then by all means pedal. Just be aware that, unless your unit is precisely calibrated, you may have inaccurate power readings. My experience, however, is that it is extremely difficult to pedal hard/fast enough to add much to downhill speed. Coasting is what most people do and in that event watts (0) will be accurate.

Your ride file shows a consistent tail wind; a sure indicator of a miscalibrated unit.

You can do a new cal ride and post the results here. Note that if your cal ride is good you should see average windspeed nearly the same as average bike speed.
John Hamann
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

"Your ride file shows a consistent tail wind; a sure indicator of a miscalibrated unit.

You can do a new cal ride and post the results here. Note that if your cal ride is good you should see average windspeed nearly the same as average bike speed."

Ok, thanks.

Any certain obvious tips on how to avoid such a "miscalibration" happening - when performing an out and back Powerpod calibration ride, please?

Regards,
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

BBQcyclist wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:44 pm "Your ride file shows a consistent tail wind; a sure indicator of a miscalibrated unit.

You can do a new cal ride and post the results here. Note that if your cal ride is good you should see average windspeed nearly the same as average bike speed."

Ok, thanks.

Any certain obvious tips on how to avoid such a "miscalibration" happening - when performing an out and back Powerpod calibration ride, please?

Regards,
1) Ride solo; no drafting
2) Ride on a quiet road where you don't have lots of cars wizzing by
3) Try to find a route where you don't have to stop (except to turn around)
4) Avoid doing a cal ride on days when wind is high, or gusty

If you follow these tips you should get a good result.
John Hamann
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Thank you. Will re-calib it in the spring.
Happy New Year