PowerPod lag

lookpower

PowerPod lag

Post by lookpower »

HI,

I've resurrected my old powerpod since my spider based PM rubs the BB shell on my new bike.

I've stayed away for a long time and went to discover that installing Isaac on a Mac is somewhat of a puzzle, which I've figured out with the excellent instructions provided by Velocomp. Thanks!

Isaac installed and I've faced the weird fact that it doesn't connect no matter what! I don't know if that's because I don't have the "ISAAC/MAC 64 BIT DOWNLOAD UNLOCK KEY" installed :?: (using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7)

Anyway, even if it doesn't show the green connection status on Isaac, I've proceeded with the install of my forgotten Garmin speed sensor 2 and pairing both cadence and speed sensors, which I achieved with no issues.

After that done, touching of a button and it entered calibration status. Went for a flat piece of tarmac and started the calibration process until reaching 50, and turned back until it started to show real power figures.

The issue? It lags! It lags A LOT! :roll: I even counted pedal strokes and make a note on the power numbers. I have to do a good deal of 10 or 11 pedal strokes before starting to see any real power figures. Have done a couple of brief sprints and power figures started to show up at the end of the sprint.

I really don't remember PP to have such a lag when I started using it some years ago. What can be wrong here?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod lag

Post by Velocomp »

Most likely either your bike computer, or your PowerPod, or both, are set to filter the power output.

If your PP is sufficiently old then you will get a "Isaac Download unlock key" message. We spent a fortune a few years ago to upgrade Isaac after Apple went to a 64 bit requirement. If you are getting this message you can purchase the key here:

https://velocomp.com/collections/softwa ... na-big-sur

After you install the key and get Isaac working with your PP, go to Edit/Edit Profiles and extract the profile you're using. Then, on the Advanced Tab, set "Device Power Smoothing" to 0 seconds. The data sent from PP to your bike computer will have zero filtering.

If you still see a lag afterwards then check the filter settings on your bike computer.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 6.18.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 6.18.56 PM.png (183.15 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
John Hamann
lookpower

Post by lookpower »

I don’t see any message requiring the key, but my PowerPod don’t connect to Isaac also.

I think my PP is a V1. Is the key necessary?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lookpower wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:29 am I don’t see any message requiring the key, but my PowerPod don’t connect to Isaac also.

I think my PP is a V1. Is the key necessary?
If your PP was manufactured prior to 2019 then you will need to get the key.

Before proceeding you will need to connect to Isaac. Please contact technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann
lookpower

Post by lookpower »

I’ll contact support. I’ve looked at my proof of purchase and it’s from May 2018.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lookpower wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:45 pm I’ll contact support. I’ve looked at my proof of purchase and it’s from May 2018.
You should be able to connect to Isaac to extract your serial number.
John Hamann
lookpower

Post by lookpower »

I've finally got connection with Isaac. Curiously I don't see the ride file for today. Last ride file is 3 years old. I've also seen that power smoothness was set to 5s. Set it up to 0 as you've suggested.

Serial number is this one:

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your ride file from today is the one at the bottom of the ride file list; that is the one you should download. Its date is incorrect because the internal clock of your PP was not set.

Now that you've connected your PP to Isaac the internal clock will be reset to the correct date/time.

Your PP data storage is nearly full so, after downloading your latest ride, use the command "Device/Erase all Ride Data" to clear your PP memory.
John Hamann
lookpower

Post by lookpower »

I've bought PP download key but have no download link to retrieve it, or any email pointing to the file.

I've also sent the administrator an email on February 24th asking for a way to sign in with my original account, which for some reason doesn't let me use the original password or even ask for a new one.

I've created this new account but I very much like to retrieve the original one.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

lookpower wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:28 am I've bought PP download key but have no download link to retrieve it, or any email pointing to the file.

I've also sent the administrator an email on February 24th asking for a way to sign in with my original account, which for some reason doesn't let me use the original password or even ask for a new one.

I've created this new account but I very much like to retrieve the original one.
I will send you an email.
John Hamann
naavt

Post by naavt »

Hi John,

Can you assist me on how to set up power stroke inside Isaac using my cadence sensor:

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please refer to these instructions.
Attachments
PowerStrokeInstructions100718_red.pdf
(542 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
John Hamann
naavt

Post by naavt »

Hi John,

Can you see what's going on with this last ride? Every other Z2 ride seemed fine but today I went for a more fast paced one and I don't believe that I am in this kind of shape right now.

For sure PP spiked at the very beginning of the ride but after a couple minutes if seemed to settle down. Anyway my power numbers to this ride seems exaggerated to m eye, even if PP doesn't agree with my Wahoo Roam V2 for average speed. PP returned 33,2 and my Wahoo 34 flat (that's a 0,8 km/h difference!):

Attachments
Velocomp_03_12_2023_1138_54_km.ibr
(341.75 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

naavt wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:02 pm Hi John,

Can you see what's going on with this last ride? Every other Z2 ride seemed fine but today I went for a more fast paced one and I don't believe that I am in this kind of shape right now.

For sure PP spiked at the very beginning of the ride but after a couple minutes if seemed to settle down. Anyway my power numbers to this ride seems exaggerated to m eye, even if PP doesn't agree with my Wahoo Roam V2 for average speed. PP returned 33,2 and my Wahoo 34 flat (that's a 0,8 km/h difference!):

1) Don't worry about average speed differences. How Wahoo measures average speed can differ from Isaac method, especially if there is any time delay between the two devices.

2) The first two minutes of your ride is where PP recalibrates itself, and wattage data here is meaningless. You should edit-out this part of your ride file

3) There are indications that your mount angle is changing during steep accelerations; this could cause high watts. Make sure your PP is firmly attached to your mount so that it cannot rotate, and make sure your handlebars and fork tube are securely attached to the bike, so that there is no play in them.
John Hamann
naavt

Post by naavt »

Weird to know that my PP mount angle is changing during steep accelerations, since it is securely mounted on my front mount as you can see in the picture bellow.

Handlebars are secure also and very stiff. The only thing that is not finished in this bike is the head spacers. This is because I've mounted an integrated handlebar and the spacers are not designed to accommodate it. I'm waiting for a spacer to be designed and 3D printed to fit it. Anyway, there's no headset play so what can be causing that angle change?

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It looks like you have a good setup.

The variations are quite small so it is not a huge problem overall. Check to be certain there is no play in your fork tube; PP can detect slope deviations as small as 0.5%
John Hamann